Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Rice and beans are inexpensive and constitute a complete set of amino acids with a high protein count.
    but rice is mostly sugar with little nutritional value.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    You don't want the poor getting those things, then address the issues making them poor and to the majority, it isn't spending habits it is wages not keeping up and jobs no longer performing their jobs.
    If I suggest they should be taking money management classes, that is deemed inhumane too.

Apparently criticizing people who are "poor" is just taboo and a discussion that is not allowed to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    They should sell it for something smaller and bank the remaining money for cost of living. Yes.
    So a temporary fix -- and when that well running car you swapped out for a beater decides to crap out and you're in worse shape than you started from?

So basically you're suggesting is sell off what works -- buy something of questionable worth -- use the difference in money to pay off the repair on something that you shouldn't have bought in the first place?
    Last edited by Captain N; 2017-01-14 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Yes I know..people need to sell off everything they own. Even if they had it previously as a gift from someone or when they had a good job they need to conform to your ideal of poverty.
    Not everything - just luxuries. No one needs a 65 inch TV. My wife and I had to sell many things including jewelry passed down through several generations

Want poor people to make better decisions? Start by example. Pay them enough to WANT to make better decisions instead of taking your profit elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    So people should get rid of the shit in there life that gives them a little bit of enjoyment. Fuck being happy right? Poor people are not allowed to be happy....

Am I doing this right?
    Liquidating expensive stuff is a more optimal use of that expensive stuff when you're poor and a few hundred bucks in the bank might help you survive emergencies. That said, humans are rarely optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    Not when it comes to drinks. Tap water costs almost nothing. Tea costs very little compared to soda. Heat up some water, make tea -> stay healthier and save money.
    Nutrition value of water, or tea: zero.

Nutrition value of coka cola: 1/3rd of its volume is pure sugar. a lot.

If you are poor you start to think about how much calories of energy you can get for your money. Not about how healthy something is. The Article only shows that poor people can calculate well.

If I suggest they should be taking money management classes, that is deemed inhumane too.

Apparently criticizing people who are "poor" is just taboo and a discussion that is not allowed to happen.
    Wanting to control what others can do with THERE FOOD STAMPS and THERE MONEY is a dick move and that is what you want. Fuck any enjoyment in life just live to work.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

So a temporary fix -- and when that well running car you swapped out for a beater decides to crap out and you're in worse shape than you started from?
    Do you just cherry pick only examples for your argument?

How did we go from a 65" TV to a car?

So basically you're suggesting is sell off what works -- buy something of questionable worth -- use the difference in money to pay off the repair on something that you shouldn't have bought in the first place?
    If you have a 2016 fully loaded Ford Mustang, then you absolutely should be trading down to somthing like a 2012 Toyota Camry anf banking that 10K for living expenses

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Liquidating expensive stuff is a more optimal use of that expensive stuff when you're poor and a few hundred bucks in the bank might help you survive emergencies. That said, humans are rarely optimal.
    That few hundred bucks is a temp fix and doesn't last. There enjoyment of there device does last (until it breaks). You can't live to work because then there is no point in living.

If someone gets happy because on the 9th of every month that can buy one piece of food they enjoy then so be it. Who the fuck really gives a shit when good chance that person has paided or is paying into the system that allows them to do that.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Not everything - just luxuries. No one needs a 65 inch TV. My wife and I had to sell many things including jewelry passed down through several generations
    A 65 inch TV isn't really "luxury" anymore. Even a poor person can afford it if they save for months.

Cars aren't televisions. Selling a TV isn't quantitatively the same as selling your automobile.

i bet poor people have better money managment than people with a stable and sufficient income.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Wanting to control what others can do with THERE FOOD STAMPS and THERE MONEY is a dick move and that is what you want. Fuck any enjoyment in life just live to work.
    I don't suggest anything that would harm another human being. You on the other hand only have an argument based in emotion.

Once again Pot Meet Kettle.....

I got to ask is the 65 inch tv in ur poor ass argument also 4k. Because if poor people are buying 65 inch tv's that are 1080p they are doing it wrong.

How did we go from sodas to 65" tv ?

Ah right, you started hyperboles and generalizations

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    The sin is not being poor. The sin is wasting money on something on something like soft drinks (9.3% of thier SNAP funding). Drink water. I was unemployed for 18 months and it was all I could do to keep my home and my family fed. I didn't qualify for SNAP because my odd jobs and wife working part time was too much money. We drank water. Our water is horrible to drink but drinking water is $1 for 5 gallons unlike soft drinks in the $1 for a quarter gallon range. We didn't eat chips, ice cream, candt, etc. Our food money ($50/week for 2 adults and 2 teens) was spent on actual food not junk.

I know I'm being an ass saying this but it is eye brow raising that you made too much to qualify for snap but your food budget was only 50 a week for 2 adults and 2 teens. Seems like you had some excess spending else where or some mismanagement of your money.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Buying bottled water over using a re-usable filter right on the sink faucet is a waste of money.

https://www.amazon.com/faucet-mount-...node=680337011

Countless filters for under $20.00
    Eh, depends on how you're getting the water, and what water you'd be filtering. Small bottles are certainly a ripoff.

Looking at some of those filters, you're looking at ~40gal per filter, and they're ~$5 each on sale. That's ~8gal/$1. Our water is too terrible for a standard faucet filter, so we go to a filter place and fill up 5gal water jugs for $1, so it's pretty close. We got our water cooler/heater for ~$75, so a bit more of an initial investment, but it was the only real option short of an under-the-sink reverse osmosis setup, which is way more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    I don't eat much junk food, but it is not very cost effective. I think a candy bar is close to a dollar. For the price of two candy bars, you can buy a whole box of rice and get a lot more food for that two bucks. Just saying, if money is tight- you might want to go for the rice.
    Well, we've had discussions of this before. Some chunk of it is access to grocery stores. If you don't have a car and the grocery store is 5mi away, it's much faster to walk to a corner store (which doesn't have rice) and get some candy. A 10mi round trip at 4mph is 2.5 hours of walking vs a 2mi round trip to the corner store being 30min.

I don't suggest anything that would harm another human being. You on the other hand only have an argument based in emotion.
    You want poor people to live like they are in a 3rd world country. You want to control what they can buy and when they can buy it.

You also have ZERO concept on how much things like smart phones cost. Educate yourself before saying anymore.