Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Not at all.

You claimed that the poor lived like kings compared to other nations and I was talking about comparing the poor of the US to the poor of other 1st world nations where from what I have read they still get the shit end of the stick with a worse quality of living than the poor of the other foreign nations.

Comparing the poor in the US to the poor in some poverty stricken 3rd world country is a poor comparison as you should be comparing them to the poor in other advanced nations.
    It is not a poor comparison in the context of my statement. *I* was not the one who started with the comparison. On the contrary the people who are pro-soda (catchy phrase right?) began it.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Then say what you mean, not hyperbolic shit like "banning food".

Words mean things.
    is soda not food now?

food
    [food]
    Spell Syllables
    Synonyms Examples Word Origin
    See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
    noun
    any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc.
    more or less solid nourishment, as distinguished from liquids.
    a particular kind of solid nourishment:
    a breakfast food; dog food.
    whatever supplies nourishment to organisms:

plant food.
    anything serving for consumption or use:

food for thought.

yea, looks like it means what i said.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It's possible, likely even.
    I've a headache that just doesn't want to go away.

Sure sign it's time for me to log off for the night.
    Sorry I editted that response for clarity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    is soda not food now?

food
    [food]
    Spell Syllables
    Synonyms Examples Word Origin
    See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
    noun
    any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc.
    more or less solid nourishment, as distinguished from liquids.
    a particular kind of solid nourishment:
    a breakfast food; dog food.
    whatever supplies nourishment to organisms:

plant food.
    anything serving for consumption or use:

food for thought.

yea, looks like it means what i said.
    By that logic grass qualifies as "food". I mean really. Declaring soda as a source of food is stretching it at best in the context of this conversation.

But you know what, I'll concede this one.

It is not a poor comparison in the context of my statement. *I* was not the one who started with the comparison. On the contrary the people who are pro-soda (catchy phrase right?) began it.
    Regardless of how the comparison started it is a poor comparison as you are comparing the poor of an advanced society to that of poverty stricken nations and claiming that since the poor of the civilized society is better there is no problem when the fact is they are still getting crap compared to other even remotely equal nations.

While the poor in the US is better off than those who are starving to death in the poor nations, our rich are now live higher standards then the gods those people used to worship.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Regardless of how the comparison started it is a poor comparison as you are comparing the poor of an advanced society to that of poverty stricken nations and claiming that since the poor of the civilized society is better there is no problem when the fact is they are still getting crap compared to other even remotely equal nations.

While the poor in the US is better off than those who are starving to death in the poor nations, our rich are now live higher standards then the gods those people used to worship.
    See my response to another poster:

People are literally accusing others in this thread of wanting to treat USA poor LIKE third world country poor - because sodas...
    I stand by what I posted within the context of that.

Once again I'm reminded why I'm glad to live in an actually civilized country.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Doesn't bother me. It's not anybodies business what someone buys with the money they were alotted in food stamps. You have a right to disagree with it but that's as far as it should go.
    Considering that same people get a free medical care for self induced diabetes and other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yeah, I think the word "histrionic" is the appropriate description of your posting style on this. No one's life is being ruined. Musing about sugar taxes on a message board doesn't actually make me a terrible person. There's no need to perform as though you're going to be awarded official good person points for sufficiently chastising me.
    I'm quite sure you feel that way. You seem to assume it'd just stop there. I used to be that young and naive. The reality is you couldn't stop yourself there. It never stops there. That's what makes you a terrible person. There's no need to be defensive about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    I am not trying to force anyone to live to my standards. It is just that if you have a limited supply of cash (like food stamps) you need to start making some smart choices. A box of cereal will last you a lot longer than some candy bars.

There were times in my own life where I had to really watch my money (like during college and grad school). When you are in "survival" mode you have to make smart choices or you will never get out.

- - - Updated - - -

Because, if you don't pay attention to these things- they just get worst and worst. Before you know it- people will be abusing the program all over the place (it is already happening) and the people that really need the help and are trying to do the right things will not get the help they need.

I don't mind the government using my money (through taxes) to help people. I just would like to feel confident that people are really being helped.
    Except that's pretty much what this is all about. Trying to be an ass to people who choose something unhealthy. Otherwise you wouldn't be here talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Killadrix View Post
    I would love for you to take a quick moment to explain exactly how wanting them to choose healthy options makes them live a "terrible life?"

Oh, and nice personal attacks. They definitely make your argument stronger.
    I cop an attitude to those who give me one. It'll be something you'll get used to.

There's a difference between wanting to educate someone and being a cunt to them about it. You're the latter. I've yet to meet a single person, in real life, that's interested in actually educating people on how to eat better and why it's better but instead want to berate them for their choices. No, instead those are the same people who see them with a cig or some beer and jump to the conclusion someone on welfare doesn't need it. You're the same kind of person. In reality -- you don't realize people like me buy their friends some cigs or beer to help them through their rough patch. This is me real world experiences -- not some fantasy you may conjure up on an online forum.

Ah, understood. My bad.

My personal opinion is I honestly have no issues with them using Foodstamps on soda some as water gets dull after a while and 80% of those on foodstamps are working and the issue isn't them spending their foodstamps on sodas but that their job refuses to pay them living wages forcing them to rely on food stamps to survive which is nothing but corporate welfare disguised as public welfare.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

You were working off someone else's comparison it seemed. Hence the confusion.

ow...g'night.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    Maybe if the healthy stuff was cheaper than the non-healthy stuff those with SNAP where every penny matters would buy it instead.
    Water is cheaper than Sodas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Um, okay. I kind of assumed everyone knew.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1114...junk-food.html

And obviously, junk food is a lot easier since you don't have to prepare it.

What are you proposing? Poor people just like to buy "bad" food because they're bad people?

This is ridiculous. Poor people buy cheap easy things. Self explanatory.
    You realize the study you are quoting is comparing the prices of LEAN SALMON as the "healthy" food (at ~$14-$17/lb) versus the prices of donuts AND they are doing a 1:1 caloric ratio of a low calorie item to the HIGHEST calorie items in order to make the difference look that much larger?

Did you place any critical thought into the validity of these comparisons? Or did you just skim for numbers and call it a day?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Water is cheaper than Sodas.
    You're right, if you're on food stamps you should only be drinking water and eating bread and cheese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You're right, if you're on food stamps you should only be drinking water and eating bread and cheese.
    And not the good cheese that comes in slices either -- The brick cheese that you have to cut yourself. And no wheat bread either! Special bread is for us tax payin' folks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    And not the good cheese that comes in slices either -- The brick cheese that you have to cut yourself. And no wheat bread either! Special bread is for us tax payin' folks!
    Papa Song servers may only imbibe one soap sack a day.

Sorry I editted that response for clarity.

By that logic grass qualifies as "food". I mean really. Declaring soda as a source of food is stretching it at best in the context of this conversation.

But you know what, I'll concede this one.
    humans arent capable of digesting grass very well, that is why most herbivores have multiple stomachs.

you still haven't answered the question of why soda is bannable, but other empty calories like rice, flour, bread, pasta, etc aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    Maybe if the healthy stuff was cheaper than the non-healthy stuff those with SNAP where every penny matters would buy it instead.
    Yeah seriously.

What the fuck am I going to buy - a big ass pizza for $2 or a healthy meal for $10 ?

And so what if they spend $20 of food stamps on comfort food? These people are the lowest of the fucking low. You guys act like we should be feeding them prison slop.

Lemme guess they aren't allowed to spend money on a TV or the internet either? Yeah just SURVIVE. Focus all your resources into surviving, like some biological engine

give me a fucking break

Quote Originally Posted by Killadrix View Post
    You realize the study you are quoting is comparing the prices of LEAN SALMON as the "healthy" food (at ~$14-$17/lb) versus the prices of donuts AND they are doing a 1:1 caloric ratio of a low calorie item to the HIGHEST calorie items in order to make the difference look that much larger?

Did you place any critical thought into the validity of these comparisons? Or did you just skim for numbers and call it a day?
    I don't think that this topic is really worthy of a lot of critical thought.

If you do, perhaps you'd like to post some evidence of... whatever your contention is. You don't seem keen to state it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Hey wait a minute, I buy the blocks of cheese and grate them myselfs with a $2 grater I got @ Walmart. Way cheaper than buying it already processed...

What is wrong with block cheese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey wait a minute, I buy the blocks of cheese and grate them myselfs with a $2 grater I got @ Walmart. Way cheaper than buying it already processed...
    Walmart and its consumer mentality need to fucking die, honestly.