Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Welcome to America? Junk food and soda is so damn common and popular, I'm surprised the percentage is that low tbh.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    "Let's fight about the poor while the rich screw us over." ~ Americas Taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    "Let's fight about the poor while the rich screw us over." ~ Americas Taxpayers.
    Makes sense, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    When the doctor's bill comes back and they got nothing to pay the dentist, it's their problem.
    You don't really think this do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Makes sense, right?
    i miss George Carlin...

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Please don't respond to a quote of mine and then suggest that I personally am describing peanuts as healthy. I am not making that claim as I'm not fully researched on the matter. Someone else may have made that claim.
    Because you support his statement by dismissing avocado as simply being "fat" without understanding the nutritional differences.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No, I said that you don't know shit about science and that your claims are dim. If you're arguing that refined sugar in large quantities is good for healthy, the burden of proof should really be on you, but I'll oblige anyway. Put simply, soda makes you fat and unhealthy:

Follow the Harvard link above for individual citations.

Seriously though, this isn't some deep mystery.
    ?
    Now you are changing your argument and assertion. Now all of a sudden you add "refined sugar in large quantities" to your argument. Also, you assert soda makes you fat and unhealthy.

So I will address each:
    Refined sugar in large quantities is bad for you - Yep agreed (but this wasn't your original assertion, you just said soda is is unhealthy and bad). I'd even go beyond this assertion and say ANYTHING in large quantities is bad for you.

Soda makes you fat and unhealthy. - Is drinking soda the ONLY thing that leads to being fat/unhealthy?

Scenario: Lets say I go to the gym an hour each day and drink one 12oz soda or a sugary drink when I get home. My resting TDEE is around 2300 and I consume on average around 2000 each day including the soda. Am I still going to get fat and be unhealthy?

Your Harvard information makes conclusion based ONLY on soda consumption without consideration of all health/life factors. The variable inputs on these studies are so large it has to be considered. Also it talks more about EXCESSIVE consumption (or accelerated consumption rates), to which we both agree is determinedly damaging to ones health.

Have been on SNAP. Eating healthy when on SNAP without eating Beans and Rice for every meal is fucking impossible. So yes, cheap gross junk food that I hate is what was purchased when I hit the end of the month and had 10 dollars of the solid 120 they gave me every month. Try to eat for 5 days on 10 dollars and tell me if you buy enough vegetables for 1 day or enough granola bars and ramen for 5.

Quote Originally Posted by belleflop View Post
    Now you are changing your argument and assertion. Now all of a sudden you add "refined sugar in large quantities" to your argument. Also, you assert soda makes you fat and unhealthy.

So I will address each:
    Refined sugar in large quantities is bad for you - Yep agreed (but this wasn't your original assertion, you just said soda is is unhealthy and bad). I'd even go beyond this assertion and say ANYTHING in large quantities is bad for you.

Soda makes you fat and unhealthy. - Is drinking soda the ONLY thing that leads to being fat/unhealthy?

Scenario: Lets say I go to the gym an hour each day and drink one 12oz soda or a sugary drink when I get home. My resting TDEE is around 2300 and I consume on average around 2000 each day including the soda. Am I still going to get fat and be unhealthy?

Your Harvard information makes conclusion based ONLY on soda consumption without consideration of all health/life factors. The variable inputs on these studies are so large it has to be considered. Also it talks more about EXCESSIVE consumption (or accelerated consumption rates), to which we both agree is determinedly damaging to ones health.
    This is pretty stupid. Seriously. Read it back to yourself. Are you trying to miss the point?

I'm well aware that exercise enables caloric consumption. I'm a semi-serious runner and peak at 70+ miles/week of running during training cycles. I basically eat a shitload of "empty" carbs during that time. I'm well aware that people who engage in serious exercise routines are able to consume things that the sedentary shouldn't. On long runs (or bike rides, or swimming), this even includes just consuming straight sugars in the form of Gu packets, it's fine.

For the typical person, even a couple cans a day remains a poor idea. Soda has no nutritionally redeeming qualities, is 40+ grams of sugar per can, spikes blood sugar levels significantly, and has strong connections to all sorts of negative health outcomes. The existence of other factors doesn't, in any way, render drinking soda a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    since my money pays for you to drive on public roads, can i dictate what car you drive?
    I'm paying into the same system not leeching off of it.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I'm still baffled where all this healthy food costs more then unhealthy food people live. I eat cheap and eat a ton of veggies, and go light on meat and eat nearly no carbs anymore. Granted I have to cook, which to a lot of people that time is more of a luxury then the money is but that is never the argument presented.

Anyways the only part of this I care about anymore is my son's old school, most the kids had god awful teeth and when asked by a dentist in class what they drank most of them said soft drinks and my son was maybe one of two who said he drank mostly water. Then all the fat little shits who are walking into diabetes is going to be an issue that is bound to be a fiscal issue one day.

Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    I'm still baffled where all this healthy food costs more then unhealthy food people live.
    Some are just repeating something they heard. Others are basing it on the cost of the salmon, organic quinoa, and heirloom tomatoes they bought at Whole Foods. As we all know you can't really be healthy unless you're buying organic, non-GMO, heirloom, locally grown, farm-to-table produce

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    So because you pay taxes and those taxes go to other people in some way, you think you're entitled to control their lives? I thought people like you were AGAINST big government control. Maybe you should worry more, a lot more, about what Wallstreet is doing with your money? Cus they waste it in the millions, get away with it and YOU get to suffer for their mistakes.

But nah, fucking food stamps is more important. Fuck me.
    1. Why bring it wallstreet and assume that doesn't also piss me off?
    2. Sorry for wanting them to improve their lives to a point where they don't need government assistance. MAY BAD!

Quote Originally Posted by netherflame View Post
    I'm paying into the same system not leeching off of it.
    People are not a leech if they are working or looking for work but being turned down, which are the requirements to be able to receive food stamps.

If anything, employers of people who are working are leeching their employees if their employees need food stamps while working.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-01-15 at 06:48 AM.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Some are just repeating something they heard. Others are basing it on the cost of the salmon, organic quinoa, and heirloom tomatoes they bought at Whole Foods. As we all know you can't really be healthy unless you're buying organic, non-GMO, heirloom, locally grown, farm-to-table produce
    Well the last time I got into one of these conversations, people were implying that everything they bought was ramen and bologna. Which... I understand can stretch the benefits out a long way, and maybe its just life experiences differing, but I know nobody on foodstamps or any other program who is eating like that. Liver, and chicken is our primary meat, with eggs being the other big protein source we eat, and then greens of all sorts, carrots, onions and some mushrooms and lentils being the primary calorie source for us. (editur food budget is easy to maintain at $135 if I'm not competing anytime soon.)

Idk, like I said the time to cook is a bigger issue for most people I know on food assistance programs (single parent cooking with small children is by no means an easy task at times) and working 1+ jobs finding the "strength" to cook for 30 minutes rather then throw a pizza in and sit down to relax.

But Eastern Kentucky, the soda + poor dental hygiene thing is an awful combination for those kids.

Deleted
    Junk food tastes better. End of discussion. I'm so tired of all these healthy food is more expensive and bla bla bla, people like to eat fast food because it generally tastes better, simple as.

I can make a healthy meal for a lot cheaper than fast food, but not everyone enjoys it as much.

It's like with girls, you know hot ones will just fuck you up in the end, but you still want the hot chick, not the "stable, mature" average chick, even though you know what the end result will probably be.

Well the last time I got into one of these conversations, people were implying that everything they bought was ramen and bologna. Which... I understand can stretch the benefits out a long way, and maybe its just life experiences differing, but I know nobody on foodstamps or any other program who is eating like that. Liver, and chicken is our primary meat, with eggs being the other big protein source we eat, and then greens of all sorts, carrots, onions and some mushrooms and lentils being the primary calorie source for us. (editur food budget is easy to maintain at $135 if I'm not competing anytime soon.)
    Yeah, one of my biggies during grad school (over 6 years, yuck) was the hotpot sort of thing - start with ramen noodles and seasoning, add a few ounces of cheap beef, chicken, or pork (whatever cut was cheap that weak, chicken thighs or pork chops most common), whatever vegetables are on hand (often frozen - broccoli is cheap that way!) and an egg. Makes a pretty hearty meal for not much money at all. This is about 10 years ago, I hadn't really thought of ramen as a complete meal until dating a girl from Korea that showed me what was up.

I'd definitely agree that knowledge is a huge barrier. It's not hard or expensive to make decent, nutritious food, but it's also not trivial if you have no idea what you're doing.

Yeah, one of my biggies during grad school (over 6 years, yuck) was the hotpot sort of thing - start with ramen noodles and seasoning, add a few ounces of cheap beef, chicken, or pork (whatever cut was cheap that weak, chicken thighs or pork chops most common), whatever vegetables are on hand (often frozen - broccoli is cheap that way!) and an egg. Makes a pretty hearty meal for not much money at all. This is about 10 years ago, I hadn't really thought of ramen as a complete meal until dating a girl from Korea that showed me what was up.

I'd definitely agree that knowledge is a huge barrier. It's not hard or expensive to make decent, nutritious food, but it's also not trivial if you have no idea what you're doing.
    lucky

i just added an egg

I'm still baffled where all this healthy food costs more then unhealthy food people live. I eat cheap and eat a ton of veggies, and go light on meat and eat nearly no carbs anymore. Granted I have to cook, which to a lot of people that time is more of a luxury then the money is but that is never the argument presented.
    The government subsidizes corn and in-turn high fructose corn syrup. So, it is artificially reduced in price. Then, in our infinite brilliance, we now begin instituting soda taxes.

So, to follow it completely, the government uses your income tax dollars to give to mostly large farm corporations subsidies for corn. Then, they tax you again on the back end (after your income tax) with a soda tax.

But yea, keep voting for Trumps, Hilarys, Bushes, Obamas. That will fix it.

Since many seem to be complaining that produce is expensive, produce at Asian shops are significantly cheaper assuming you have some in your location and are open to the idea of entering one.