Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wasps are predators of other bugs and keep their population in check. Not to say they're not huge assholes but so long as you're aware of your surroundings and not blundering into their nests they usually will leave you alone. And with the spray they sell in stores it's easy to dispose of nests and keep your house free of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Wasps are predators of other bugs and keep their population in check. Not to say they're not huge assholes but so long as you're aware of your surroundings and not blundering into their nests they usually will leave you alone. And with the spray they sell in stores it's easy to dispose of nests and keep your house free of them.
    Except for when they build nest right in front of your door or in your attic.

Talking about whatever the red and black in FL are called. Terrible creatures.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Small things can make a huge difference in nature. Nature doesn't exist to please humans. Yes, wasps can be annoying and may not always be welcome but it's possible to act...vespanely when dealing with them.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Small things can make a huge difference in nature. Nature doesn't exist to please humans. Yes, wasps can be annoying and may not always be welcome but it's possible to act...vespanely when dealing with them.
    Humans are part of nature, why can't we use what nature and get rid of wasps?!?

If they weren't winged disks then they wouldn't need to be eliminated.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post

We sure could but only if we can absolutely be sure they serve no other purpose than annoying humans. Usually wasps have natural enemies in the world of animals (usually birds), if they can propagate easily somewhere then because they are safe from said enemies, usually as a result because humans removed them from that area. Like swallows of which some species are even threatened but are natural insect killers. I find it more apt to address the causes and selectively control their breeding behaviour and locations than outright trying to exterminate them just because you have a few dozen of them in your kitchen.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Except for when they build nest right in front of your door or in your attic.

Talking about whatever the red and black in FL are called. Terrible creatures.
    I've never really had trouble with them. The sprays shoot up to 20~ or so feet away and the effect is pretty immediate. Just gotta watch out for the stray ones patrolling around and looking for vengeance

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    They serve some purpose (fill some niche) or they would not exist. Even things like Cancer, Disease, etc, have a purpose... Population control.
    Not true.
    Not even philosophically speaking.

You do realize they don't "need" to be eliminated right?

There's a reason science research is going towards fixing mosquitos and making them all male rather than focusing on wasps or hornets. That reason is because even though the wasps and hornets are annoying, they absolutely do serve a purpose, whereas mosquitos have no purpose or very little purpose and also cause a ton of deaths per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm almost certain that there's no research that mandates the need for Asian giant hornets.
    Nor for that matter those several species of mosquitoes (of the hundreds that exist) that are so problematic.
    And what does a lack of research prove ?
    Only that there has been a lack of research.
    If you want to make an argument based on a quantity of research, then make one based on a good quantity.
    A quantity of research that states that there is no role served by them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Or

Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence.
    A lack of evidence contrary to your preference is not proof when there is a lack on your side too.

I don't like them either.
    But nor do I like people making poor arguments.
    Therefore I will argue with the one worth arguing with.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-01-16 at 12:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    And what does a lack of research prove ?
    Only that there has been a lack of research.
    Thank you for confirming that.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing to understand before asking this sort of questions is that, after hundreds millions years of evolution, only those (natural) species remained that in some way benefit each other. If wasps/hornets were merely parasites and didn't do anything useful, then they would have evolved in a way that would make them useful, or would get eliminated.

Wasps/hornets, as people have mentioned, contribute to pest control. I can get the frustration, I've been bit by both wasps and hornets many times back when I frequented my grandfathers' in a country house. Their stings are horrible, wounds can ache for hours. But had it not been for them, I'm pretty sure other insects would take their place, and we wouldn't be in a much better situation.

---

Wasn't there a locust infestation story a decade ago or so somewhere in Europe, when a government tried to reduce the population of one of the species hunting them down and ended up ruining the harvest? That's what happens when you say, "I've had enough!", and get rid of something annoying, not thinking the consequences through very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

When I used to live in central Texas, the hornets there ate a lot of pests. They weren't particularly nice :P But they did have their uses. I saw a few of them gang up on a yellow scorpion one day, and kill it. Not sure if they ate it, but considering I've been stung a few times by yellow scorpions (it hurts like a bitch, worse than a hornet)... they can stay.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Easy to assume it wouldn't be.
    There are few people if any who could say that with confidence.
    I doubt you are one of those.
    Wouldn't be the first time something went extinct and the world kept spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...rrant-existing

The first time the OP asked the exact same question. Ya'll been Jaylock'd
    pwnt, close thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    pwnt, close thread?
    Naw, for some people, being historically illiterate is now a point of pride.

Me, I like having my Fig trees pollinated, so go wasps.