Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I do consider an abortion an elective procedure and find it hard to justify having others pay for it.

Having said that, the state will end up with a bill: a) pay for the abortion; b) pay for the delivery and care for the child

The state has every right to make their decision on which option to take, but I have a strong feeling that option b) will cost quite a bit more.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    "The act of consensual sex is for the sole purpose of reproduction."
    "The primary biological purpose of sex is to procreate."

Can you, for once in your life, pick a position and stick with it?

People have sex because they enjoyed it.
    This woman had consensual sex because she enjoyed it.
    I'm sorry can you point out to me the difference between procreation and reproduction? Yes consensual sex happens to feel good but the primary purpose of sex consensual or not is BIOLOGICALLY to create new life. Yes people have different motives for wanting to have sex but its purpose on an evolutionary scale is to reproduce. I don't see how I deviated from that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I do consider an abortion an elective procedure and find it hard to justify having others pay for it.

Having said that, the state will end up with a bill: a) pay for the abortion; b) pay for the delivery and care for the child

The state has every right to make their decision on which option to take, but I have a strong feeling that option b) will cost quite a bit more.
    The state does have to pay for the delivery of the child but it will only pay for the care of the child up until the child is either adopted or returns to his/her mother. Since the latter is unlikely hopefully the child is adopted into a good family instead of being bounced around the foster system until he/she turns 18. In which case yeah the state will be paying for the entirety of the child's youth life.

Deleted
    That seems all kinds of fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post

Having the state pay for it is far cheaper than the state supporting mother and child that can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Having the state pay for it is far cheaper than the state supporting mother and child that can't afford it.
    While having the state pay for it may "make more sense" cost wise what the law is doesn't line up with it. Things are just rarely done because they make sense from the outside after the fact.

The simple fact people are having a hard time grasping is the jail system can only provide medical care that is medically necessary or emergent. They can't pick which elective procedure they want to do or not.

They officer in question had her bond drastically reduced and even offered her transportation to the facility to have an abortion. They inmate just didn't want to or could not pay for it.
    Last edited by Xandrigity; 2017-01-15 at 09:54 PM.

Strange situation. Don't those people have an affordable healthcare insurance like in most countries around the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    An abortion is not an elective surgery, it's not even a surgery at all. And yes, the sheriff's were the one to place her in jail, so yes, they need to pay for it.
    That would set a dangerous precedent for "free" abortions. If she could pay for the abortion herself, then the sheriff should have granted her request to have one...but, actually paying for it...no...that's on her.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Forcing people to give birth is just disgusting.
    Yeah, murder is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It wasn't denied. She didn't go to the clinic because she wanted the Sheriffs to pay for the abortion because she either couldn't or didn't want to pay for it herself.
    From the report its clear that Sheriff went out of his way, and perhaps beyond the scope of responsibility, to accommodate the prisoner.

I seriously this case never makes it to trial because there appears to be no wrongdoing of any kind.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Abortion isn't murder and your delusion is not reality.
    Being in denial isn't a factual rebuttal.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    Being in denial isn't a factual rebuttal.
    Supreme court is laughing at you...along with the majority of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Supreme court is laughing at you...along with the majority of the country.
    Cool story? Touche?

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    While having the state pay for it may "make more sense" cost wise what the law is doesn't line up with it. Things are just rarely done because they make sense from the outside after the fact.

The simple fact people are having a hard time grasping is the jail system can only provide medical care that is medically necessary or emergent. They can't pick which elective procedure they want to do or not.

They officer in question had her bond drastically reduced and even offered her transportation to the facility to have an abortion. They inmate just didn't want to or could not pay for it.
    It was more a comment on how srupid the current law is not what they did was wrong with current laws.

Maybe prisoners shouldn't be allowed to have sex then this wouldn't be a problem ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    Yeah, murder is a perfectly acceptable alternative.
    What does this even mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a situation where circumstances were grossly misrepresented and hyperbolized to get people to side with her before reading all the facts, by which time they're dug in too deep and would support her regardless due to pride. It is not the duty of the sheriff to pay for her abortion; he did what was due, and made the abortion legally accessible.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2017-01-16 at 01:28 PM.

It saddens me that this is discussed in 2017. You cannot deny basic health procedures to women just because you do not want to pay for the transportation and guards.

Deleted
    This sort of stupidity only exists in religious countries, like the middle east or USA .. You wont see cases like this in europe or say, china.

It's obviously ridiciulous, forcing someone uprepared to be a parent is a surefire recipe for heartache and disaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gombado View Post
    This sort of stupidity only exists in religious countries, like the middle east or USA .. You wont see cases like this in europe or say, china.

It's obviously ridiciulous, forcing someone uprepared to be a parent is a surefire recipe for heartache and disaster.
    It had nothing to do with religion, watch the video in the OP.

Smells like someone trying to milk the public. All she had to do was pay for it herself, but she either couldn't or didn't want to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Maybe prisoners shouldn't be allowed to have sex then this wouldn't be a problem ever?
    She realized after she was put in Jail (not prison).