Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    I saw the run, thought the audience was great. The speedrunners are there to put on a show, and the audience is there to enjoy that show. How they enjoy it is entirely up to them (as long as they don't interrupt the run).

The bad part of the run was the couch and the donation reader. Calling people cancer and telling them to kill themselves for enjoying the event is sickening. And then all of the hype, excitement, and fun was removed when the donation reader kept telling the audience to be silent. Couldn't cheer for tricks, couldn't react to the kill/save outcome, couldn't have fun.

Oh, and while the audience was annoying to some viewers, it was hilarious to others. Let's try to not insinuate that the majority of people disliked it. We can't know either way.
    Are you watching the audience or the run? Of course telling them to kill themselves is a definite no no, but the event is a speed run charity, not an audience screaming like they're twitch chat event.

And yes, some may have liked it but people do not also. It was a divide that never needed to exist and people would've been fine without it all to begin with. You don't need to become real life twitch chat to enjoy the event.

10+ Year Old Account
    That New Vegas speed run was funny... Didn't know about the revolver trick! I wonder if a similar trick would work in Fallout 4?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    This year it was $60 for the full week. Previous years was $50. I'm not breaking down cost effectiveness of how cheap it is to be able to attend a conference/event that long for that little. They're paying to see it live and not in front of their computers, not for the runners to personally put on a show for them.
    It was $50 for the first 300 games and $60 for the last 200 games. $110 total. But keep talking as if you know what you're talking about...

Keep defending a douche couch "community member" for thinking he is above the actual community because his wittle friend was losing the race and needed silence.

People pay to watch sports IRL, pro gaming tournaments and guess what... weird ass chants happen. Crowd gets loud. But now a select speedrunner thinks his friend is a unique snow flake and needs silence? Kay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    While I get your point you must also remember that those in the audience must accept the rules.
    You clearly don't understand what happened. No rules where broken, except for the douche on the couch taking a mic and telling the crowd to kill themselves who is likely banned from the events in the future. All he actually did was kill all the hype around the run and made the entire stream boring, silent and awkward until Undertale started.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-01-16 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Saw the dark souls 3 shit last night. He used a fucking program to cheat his way through the entire thing ? thats just disgusting.
    Im gonna enter the next time. Do half life 2 with /noclip. or just use the command to show credits. Same bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    While I enjoy speed runs, I'm sorry if you have to use a 3rd party app to speedrun then that's not a legit speed run. Even if the app is something as simple as saving. A speedrun should include the game only, I'm on mixed feelings about using glitch's to do it but its within the game so its w/e.

But outside app's to me is just cheating and not a real Speed Run.
    I just saw the Dark Souls 3 run on youtube. I thought it was pretty good. The commentary between the 3 runners was nice, especially about explaining what was going on, and the donations read were minimal. Plus he did do the run.

Personally I don't mind that he used a save file. He really didn't even skip much, just like 30 seconds of boring glitched walking.

The thing with GDQ is everything is on a schedule. Especially since he got Saturday night last-day prime-time. It's not like it was his own private stream where he could say "okay guys we'll just keep trying for as long as it takes, we have all the time in the world." He had deadlines to meet. He even had that incentive run he had to make sure to get to at the end of the run. He specifically said the run was only scheduled for 1:02 and some of that time was meant for the incentive bonus he had to do.

Besides time issues, Dark Souls 3 was one of the big events that got a lot of donations, and I think Namco Bandai sponsored it to give incentives for the donations? He didn't have time to keep messing up or replaying the same things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It was $50 for the first 300 games and $60 for the last 200 games. $110 total. But keep talking as if you know what you're talking about...

Keep defending a douche couch "community member" for thinking he is above the actual community because his wittle friend was losing the race and needed silence.

People pay to watch sports IRL, pro gaming tournaments and guess what... weird ass chants happen. Crowd gets loud. But now a select speedrunner thinks his friend is a unique snow flake and needs silence? Kay.

- - - Updated - - -

You clearly don't understand what happened. No rules where broken, except for the douche on the couch taking a mic and telling the crowd to kill themselves who is likely banned from the events in the future. All he actually did was kill all the hype around the run and made the entire stream boring, silent and awkward until Undertale started.
    Every watch an NFL game? Home team shuts the absolute hell up while their team is on offense so the team can hear the play calls an audibles. If the speedrunners are telling the crowd to chill out, then you do it. That's why during runs, they say "ok, need quiet time for this part".

10+ Year Old Account
    What a mess that ended with.

- A guy telling a bunch of audience members to go kill themselves as well as calling them cancer at a anti-cancer charity event. Rightfully got kicked out for it. The sounds weren't even that bad, aside from a few loud ones. If anything, staff should've stepped up and removed some of them. So what did the salty guy accomplish again? A possible ban from the event and the audience even continued after his little fit.

- A Dark Souls 3 speedrunner hosting the event during DkS3, inviting other speedrunners, some of which are popular, and most of them take turns trashing the speedrunner even going as far to make fun of him for having cancer at one point. Happens every single year with this community, but it was good to see Twitch suspend/ban the guy who hosted it. Having known that this happens every year and that some of them already hating Bubbles, it's not surprising if he was a little nervous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    - A guy telling a bunch of audience members to go kill themselves as well as calling them cancer at a anti-cancer charity event. Rightfully got kicked out for it. The sounds weren't even that bad, aside from a few loud ones. If anything, staff should've stepped up and removed some of them. So what did the salty guy accomplish again? A possible ban from the event and the audience even continued after his little fit.
    To be fair, the crowd sometimes acts a bit obnoxious... Speed runs aren't easy, and one needs to focus a lot on some parts - which is hard to do when the crowd doesn't behave, so I can understand the frustration and the reaction.
    That said, yeah, that was over the top. :/

It seems to me that many both runners and audience members in AGDQ just don't have much socialization experience, so they don't really know how to act like adults and how to talk issues through. I haven't seen much drama from the videos I've watched, but a looooooot of awkward and cringeworthy moments and remarks.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    To be fair, the crowd sometimes acts a bit obnoxious... Speed runs aren't easy, and one needs to focus a lot on some parts - which is hard to do when the crowd doesn't behave, so I can understand the frustration and the reaction.
    Yeah, I get that. It's just not a sensible solution. What did he think was going to happen? He shot himself in the foot and the audience ignored him after 10 mins. But even he started to laugh when that happened, so I guess he realized that he didn't accomplish anything.

When the runners are getting annoyed, that's the job for the staff to fix. I guess the staff figured that it's the last day, just let the audience have some fun, especially considering that a good chunk, including a caster, were laughing at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I get that. It's just not a sensible solution. What did he think was going to happen? He shot himself in the foot and the audience ignored him after 10 mins. But even he started to laugh when that happened, so I guess he realized that he didn't accomplish anything.

When the runners are getting annoyed, that's the job for the staff to fix. I guess the staff figured that it's the last day, just let the audience have some fun, especially considering that a good chunk, including a caster, were laughing at it.
    you're the reason why agdq is shit now

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seramore View Post
    you're the reason why agdq is shit now
    What a stupid comment. I'm not even weighing my opinion of whether or not it was good to do, just me wondering why the staff decided not to do anything if it was bothering the runners.

Unless you're against me saying that telling people to kill themselves in front of everyone at a charity event is wrong, in that case... wait... no, still a stupid comment.

But maybe I should put as much effort into my posts as you did: "No, you are.". Happy now?

Deleted
    The sounds weren't even that bad, aside from a few loud ones.
    You know the audience didn't have microphones attached to them. What you heard from their dumb endless WAAAAAH meme spam is a very small fraction of their real volume which was picked up by the (most likely modern with background noise filter equipped) microphones of the players.
    If you don't realize how much louder they were in reality you should go out and step in front of a shuttle.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 100% on the runner's side here. The audience being total tools is really shitty and distracting, ESPECIALLY DURING Super Metroid, which is an intense run without the socially inept memelords in the background.

Plus, his joke was really fucking funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by devla View Post
    You know the audience didn't have microphones attached to them. What you heard from their dumb endless WAAAAAH meme spam is a very small fraction of their real volume which was picked up by the (most likely modern with background noise filter equipped) microphones of the players.
    If you don't realize how much louder they were in reality you should go out and step in front of a shuttle.
    Endless wah meme spam? It happened only every now and then when they would try to sync it up with the Metroid music that occasionally plays. But yes, it is louder for them.

So is there actually a point to your post, or are you just randomly nitpicking because I called out someone you clearly support considering your last line?

Deleted
    So is there actually a point to your post, or are you just randomly nitpicking because I called out someone you clearly support considering your last line?
    My point is that you said it wasn't too bad, but then you didn't hear it at nearly the same volume as the players. It was pretty damn annoying and distracting in the room. That's hardly nitpicking, it's quite important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by devla View Post
    My point is that you said it wasn't too bad, but then you didn't hear it at nearly the same volume as the players. It was pretty damn annoying and distracting in the room. That's hardly nitpicking, it's quite important.
    You ignored my entire post to focus on a very minor opinion of mine, as well as some others. That is nitpicking. My point doesn't revolve around how loud or quiet it was. It was a personal opinion and nothing more. But if you wish to keep reaching and assuming that I didn't take what you said into account, more power to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    The entire event was ruined by the overly strict moderation. It was bad previous year, but boy was it terrible now. Kicked out a guy for wearing a MAGA hat, everybody I know got permabanned in twitch chat and the audience seemed even weirder than usual. Literally no fun allowed.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    The entire event was ruined by the overly strict moderation. It was bad previous year, but boy was it terrible now. Kicked out a guy for wearing a MAGA hat, everybody I know got permabanned in twitch chat and the audience seemed even weirder than usual. Literally no fun allowed.
    It was already bad last year. They banned Bonesaw for 2 years even though he made probably the single most entertaining run of SGDQ2016 (Jak and Dexter).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I agree and disagree with some of that.

- I'd say that there wasn't enough moderation to put a stop to the Wah yelling, assuming that it's the truth when people say the runners were getting annoyed.
    - The guy rightfully got kicked out for that hat. It's against their charity rules to have any political affiliation. Keep in mind that's the same guy who threatened to bomb/shoot up the event previously, even if he was "joking".
    - Twitch chat was a mess, but it should've been kept normal. Sure, the cringe emotes got out of hand, but it wasn't really affecting anyone. People still spammed versions of cringe after it's ban and people still spammed period. I do stand by them for banning people trying to spell the N-bomb 1 letter at a time, though.
    Last edited by Lime; 2017-01-16 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Edit - Wasn't specifically a bomb threat.