Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Paladins need a threat dump.

Like I get that this is primarily just an issue on skittish weeks, but it renders this entire week a huge PITA for high damage paladins.

It didn't matter if I waited 5 seconds after a pull, when you are spiking towards 1 million + dps on trash and bosses the tanks can't do shit to manage aggro worth anything with this affix.

Sorry that is my rant for the week.

I got an 11 chest so far, but shesh talk about -_-

Our other dps in our core group are a spreist (who can fade) and a rogue (who can feint and tricks).

Spec divine intervention and throw on legendary bracers if you have them (eye for an eye is a pretty good defensive too). never worry about aggro again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunavale View Post
    Spec divine intervention and throw on legendary bracers if you have them (eye for an eye is a pretty good defensive too). never worry about aggro again.
    I do have DI, but it is also now only a 4 min cooldown instead of 2.5 min.

I also have eye for an eye.

I'm tell you now, popping SoV + E4E gives you about 1 second of protection on high end mythics.

I have the bracers and those with SOV/E4E + DI usually covered me no problem. Without bracers I'd probably die 1-2x more in a 15.

Sov + e4e really does work. I also tend to wait for like 4s if I am planning on crusade, otherwise I jump right in.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like they changed skittish. Even when I am healing it if I am only swinging once in a while between heals I can rip aggro. This week is also the first week I was able to beat a 15 in time with tons of time to spare. Our group had two melee a demon hunter and a ret paladin(three if you count me as holy). With both melee breaking 1 mil dps on pulls I would somehow yank aggro once in a while with a measly 100k. I even tanked a few high level ones and skittish use to not bother me at all. Speccing full dps prot paladin and pulling more dps on pulls then the dps and lose agro some how.

This week I feel like the healing bracers are pretty awesome and over looked for mythic+. What I ended up doing is on monster pulls when wed multi pack pull after the aoe stuns went out I would bop which ever melee got hit first. With bracers on it lasts 15 seconds which feels like a very long time. I would then sacrifice the other dps which lasts 18 seconds and we would stop losing dps on trash pulls doing this with all cds poped.

7+ Year Old Account
    Only thing I can suggest is, use Blessing of Protection. It has a long cooldown but should help in a few fights. Remember, you can now attack while having it on you.

Deleted
    'Member when you actually had to handle your threat to not overaggro?

Oh, yeahh, i 'member.

just give us - pala tanks another taunt :/ skittish 12 runs are hell in pugs =(
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    'Member when you actually had to handle your threat to not overaggro?

Oh, yeahh, i 'member.

and what does it have to do with Skittish ? ah right nothing

oh and please can this shit "member" crap die out already ? you dont even save time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmoo View Post
    just give us - pala tanks another taunt :/ skittish 12 runs are hell in pugs =(
    Give all tanks more than just 1 taunt, not just one or two tanks having 2+ taunts, ALL TANKS. Skittish can be hellish sometimes when dps just rip everything right off you.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    So is this thread about a real threat issue or is it a "skittish is annoying" thread? One would be a real problem while the other, while annoying, would be working as intended.

I'm an 890 Havoc Demon Hunter. On a pull i can peak at 1.6 mil dps. This week with my 890 group I would be tanking every single boss for the first 30 seconds. Without fail. This includes mythic +14 bosses. Metamorphosis leech was enough to keep me literally at full health permanently. Skittish is just a shitty mechanic.

Our threat dump is Wake of Ashes
    Then skitter away bolstered by Divine Intervention.

Seriously, the ret pallies I tank for are the most durable DPS I know.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthoris View Post
    Give all tanks more than just 1 taunt, not just one or two tanks having 2+ taunts, ALL TANKS. Skittish can be hellish sometimes when dps just rip everything right off you.
    Indeed, i run regular +11 / 12 with my mage friend on daily basis and this week is particularly bad. You just can't get aggro on all teeming mobs in VoTW especially when DH goes nuts and gets instagibbed by Fury or Infestor because taunt was on CD.
    At least give some talent to reduce taunt CD - i'll gladly take it.
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xqt View Post
    and what does it have to do with Skittish ? ah right nothing
    Back in the day overaggroing happened a lot, so you had to look out not to get smashed from doing it.
    With skittish you simply need to have a threat-dump/"oh shit" ability ready whenever you expect the biggest spike in threat (in our case damage).

Both of these situations are about handling threat... the threat to die.

You have a point in the situations being handled in another way... seen how timers now play a role and our toolkit has changed also: but regardless of both it's about staying alive and not getting yourself killed for bursting again.

oh and please can this shit "member" crap die out already ? you dont even save time
    Memes were never about saving time.

Also: I was under the impression BoP also reseted our threat; giving us retris another tool to battle this.

lol I first read this thread title as "Paladins need a threat bump."

I was thinking hey wait a minute my pally (prot) makes loads of threat!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i'm a fire mage and i pull aggro all the time even at range. Taking MI as threat dump is not an option because most of its duration is wasted in mythic+, invis has 3 seconds delay, ice block doesn't dump aggro and stops me from doing any damage, so.. some specs just have to deal with it i guess.

No, seriously, there is no workaround outside of using defensive CDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthoris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmoo View Post
    Indeed, i run regular +11 / 12 with my mage friend on daily basis and this week is particularly bad. You just can't get aggro on all teeming mobs in VoTW especially when DH goes nuts and gets instagibbed by Fury or Infestor because taunt was on CD.
    At least give some talent to reduce taunt CD - i'll gladly take it.
    As prot pally I'm not holding threat with taunts; I hold it with tabbing and hitting stuff really hard. Taunts do get a mob's attention... for 3 seconds. And boost your threat generation. But honestly I have little trouble with skittish as long as I don't zone out and stop paying attention. Just tab through playing whack-a-mole; hit 'em upside the head with your shield a couple times and they'll remember who's tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    As prot pally I'm not holding threat with taunts; I hold it with tabbing and hitting stuff really hard. Taunts do get a mob's attention... for 3 seconds. And boost your threat generation. But honestly I have little trouble with skittish as long as I don't zone out and stop paying attention. Just tab through playing whack-a-mole; hit 'em upside the head with your shield a couple times and they'll remember who's tanking.
    Don't you feel like you're just one step behind by doing that? Given, I was almost 10 ilvls behind the dps of the group in a 7-9 m+ BRH but I simply focused on 1-2 targets, taunting a third and left the rest for the dps/healer to handle. Had no issues on single target but damn, those teeming packs with 7+ mobbs... Was fun though! Made me wish I had Oomen installed
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    Don't you feel like you're just one step behind by doing that? Given, I was almost 10 ilvls behind the dps of the group in a 7-9 m+ BRH but I simply focused on 1-2 targets, taunting a third and left the rest for the dps/healer to handle. Had no issues on single target but damn, those teeming packs with 7+ mobbs... Was fun though! Made me wish I had Oomen installed
    No not really. I mean, we make more threat than most tanks. Prot Pally DPS is a thing. I've got a pretty good setup for M+ with Tyelca & Sephuz. I'm not just doing single target, of course. I'm doing my max most gung-ho AoE rotation. The only difference is that I tab between every attack to make sure I've still got everyone's attention. Usually - like 80% of the time - I already have 120-160% threat as I tab through. Every now and then I catch a mob cheating on me with one of the DPS; that's when I whack them extra hard to remind them to be faithful.

Yes, my DPS still get hit every now and then. But they're big boys and girls who know how to spread their threat around, shed agro (feign death, BoP, vanish, tricks, MD...), and use defensives as appropriate. And I really don't let them get beat up that often. Even with skittish, me losing threat is a rarity rather than routine.

Skittish should never be an issue on bosses. You have one target, and you can always see who it's looking at. If it ever looks away, taunt back and use that 3 second buff to double down on threat generation. Bosses are the easy part. It's the trash where you have to tab around playing whack-a-mole.