Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Any formal education for own house building?

Does one need any formal education to build their own house? Anyone built their own house?

Can i just purchase materials, land and go watch youtube videos on construction lol?

Thanks.

If you are in a city is where it gets more complicated as county and city code have to be followed.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

How good are you at doing something perfectly the first time? How confident are you in laying tile? Or carpet? Or wiring your house so that it doesn't start a fire.

If you lay tiles crooked people will notice, you'll have a hard time selling the house.

You can do the stuff you feel confident at and maybe subcontract to subcontractors like electricians and tile people.

My local community college has classes for construction, mostly to train trades people.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

If you have no clue about statics at least use plans from someone who does or have enough common sense (better check with others) before building your own hourse. Most comes down to hard work if you want to do it alone, but if you have no practical experience better do a lot of research in advance, because you can fuck up the whole thing at the very beginning if you, say use the wrong mixture of concrete. Then it also becomes a serious danger to you and others. Depending on your location most places won't let you build with showing them the plans first anyway,so you are kinda save here.

When it comes to electrical stuff let someone do it who has a clue, seriously, the last thing we need is more morons that build death traps.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-01-17 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    How good are you at doing something perfectly the first time? How confident are you in laying tile? Or carpet? Or wiring your house so that it doesn't start a fire.

If you lay tiles crooked people will notice, you'll have a hard time selling the house.

You can do the stuff you feel confident at and maybe subcontract to subcontractors like electricians and tile people.

My local community college has classes for construction, mostly to train trades people.
    Laying tile is one of the easiest things you can do building a home, that and plumbing are both fairly easy.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    Does one need any formal education to build their own house? Anyone built their own house?

Can i just purchase materials, land and go watch youtube videos on construction lol?

Thanks.
    Depends on your location and regulations. Here? Yes.

Without being certified, you'd not be allowed to do plumbing, electrics, waterproofing, fireproofing, and a whole lot of other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Laying tile is one of the easiest things you can do building a home, that and plumbing are both fairly easy.
    Tiles are indeed easy, but plumbing can become quite expensive if you fuck up. Tiles just look shit if you bork it.

Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post

Thanks.
    I plan on building my own house in a couple of years unless I can find what I want, I am currently drafting up my own plans. I plan on paying someone up to frame though I will probably do most of the interior work myself, except maybe drywall and painting because I hate doing both those things with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Tiles are indeed easy, but plumbing can become quite expensive if you fuck up. Tiles just look shit if you bork it.
    Idk I've replumbed almost my whole house and with newer flexible pipes, and snapin joints it's fairly hard to fuck up.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    The best thing to do is to hire an architect. Believe me, it is worth the money.

My wife and I are planning on "building" but have a contractor who has contacts that will do the electrical, plumbing, construction, etc.
    The thing that has been so hard is the giant circle of getting things done.

First you have to buy land, right? But in order to know if that land is right for you, you have to find your architect, to get a house plan. And to see if it's all in the budget, you get the house plan to your contractor, who will spec it out and give you a cost estimate. And then by the time that happens, someone else bought the land you were looking at.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I plan on building my own house in a couple of years unless I can find what I want, I am currently drafting up my own plans. I plan on paying someone up to frame though I will probably do most of the interior work myself, except maybe drywall and painting because I hate doing both those things with a passion.
    Doing drywall once can make you never want to do it again.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

If you have no experience in any kind of trade work don't even bother, I used to be an electrician and honestly last thing we need is someone trying to wire a house without a clue as to what they're doing. Let alone I doubt you'd be able to lay a foundation or build the house itself along with plumbing/heating/AC/electrical/Septic or Sewage/Well etc. If you're really interested in it I suggest you put some time into a trade to get the feeling for it. The one thing I hated more than anything is going into a home to see some DIYer with no experience or even basic understanding of electricity try to install or modify something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Idk I've replumbed almost my whole house and with newer flexible pipes, and snapin joints it's fairly hard to fuck up.
    Probably, still if you have even a tiny leak in a wall it can ruin the whole wall and cause mold or strutural weaking. If you are confident you did it properly then that is fine, I'm just saying it's something to watch out for. Certainly another level than "glueing" tiles to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    My wife and I are planning on "building" but have a contractor who has contacts that will do the electrical, plumbing, construction, etc.
    The thing that has been so hard is the giant circle of getting things done.

First you have to buy land, right? But in order to know if that land is right for you, you have to find your architect, to get a house plan. And to see if it's all in the budget, you get the house plan to your contractor, who will spec it out and give you a cost estimate. And then by the time that happens, someone else bought the land you were looking at.
    I'm looking at buying land soon and really hope this doesn't happen
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Probably, still if you have even a tiny leak in a wall it can ruin the whole wall and cause mold or strutural weaking. If you are confident you did it properly then that is fine, I'm just saying it's something to watch out for. Certainly another level than "glueing" tiles to the floor.
    With sharkbites being the go to for plumbing in a lot of areas it's pretty easy to replace existing plumbing minus all the sheet rock work. Also PVC work is fairly straightforward if you have some trade experience.

Definitely, first time I ever soldered a copper vertical pipe I had a pinhole that sprayed a good amount of water, of course it was something I found and fixed right away but if that had been in the wall. ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    With sharkbites being the go to for plumbing in a lot of areas it's pretty easy to replace existing plumbing minus all the sheet rock work. Also PVC work is fairly straightforward if you have some trade experience.
    Never heard of that, it's probably an american thing ^^.

Really helped that 90%of the plumbing was exposed in the basement. The parts that aren't are the stuff going to the 2nd floor in the walls and that isn't getting replaced anytime soon if at all.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Never heard of that, it's probably an american thing ^^.
    Here is what I'm talking about, basicaly makes the repairs extremely easy, shut the water off, drain the line then cut and pop these in. No more soldering required and they are extremely durable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Definitely, first time I ever soldered a copper vertical pipe I had a pinhole that sprayed a good amount of water, of course it was something I found and fixed right away but if that had been in the wall. ugh.
    Sharkbites are the way to go, no more soldering and more reliable.