Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Pope Francis warns against rise in populism

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38708485

Pope Francis has warned against a rise in populism and the dangers of allowing political crises to usher in dictators like Hitler.
    He made the comments as Donald Trump was being sworn-in as US president in a wide-ranging interview with Spanish newspaper El Pais.
    The Pope condemned the use of walls and barbed-wire to keep foreigners out.
    But he said it was too early to judge the new US leader, saying "we'll see what Trump does".
    Mr Trump has caused controversy with his comments on Mexican immigrants and his plans for a wall to keep them out.
    Asked if he was worried about the rise of populism in Europe and the US, the Pope said: "Crises provoke fear, alarm. In my opinion, the most obvious example of European populism is Germany in 1933.
    "Germany is broken, it needs to get up, to find its identity, a leader, someone capable of restoring its character, and there is a young man named Adolf Hitler who says: "I can, I can"."And all Germans vote for Hitler. Hitler didn't steal the power, his people voted for him, and then he destroyed his people."
    On Mr Trump, the Pope said he would "wait and see".
    "I don't like to get ahead of myself nor judge people prematurely. We will see how he acts, what he does, and then I will have an opinion," he added.
    The pair publicly disagreed during the presidential campaign, with Pope Francis appearing to question Mr Trump's Christian faith over his plans to build a border wall with Mexico.
    This guy yet again proves he's off his meds and out off touch with real world.

The only thing he was wrong about was "Hitler was voted into power".

Wow, Pope Francis went full Godwin right from the git go.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Take your meds, old man.

Deleted
    Didn't the Vatican help spread the Nazi ideology across Europe prior to- and in WW2?

Also not sure how we should accept a lesson in morality from the head of a worldwide organization that is "best" known these days for touching young boys and covering it up wherever possible?

He is by far the most "in touch with reality" Pope we've seen in quite a while ( if not ever).

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Beware of a rise in populism and the dangers of allowing political crises to usher in dictators like Hitler."

Said a tyrannical non-elected ruler of over a billion people
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Technically he wasn't voted into power, true, but in the 1930 and 1932 elections the Nazi party had a huge electoral success. In 1930 it went from 12 (2.6%) of the previous elections to more than 107 seats (18,3%) and in 1932 it became the largest party (although without a winning majority) with 230 seats (37.3%). They totally were on the right track to be simply voted into power...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Wow, Pope Francis went full Godwin right from the git go.
    Trump still beat him to the punch.

He received less votes than his opponent but nevertheless became Chancellor.

*cough*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Wow, the population of the Vatican has really exploded. From like, less than 1,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Wow, the population of the Vatican has really exploded. From like, less than 1,000.
    Only the ruling elite lives in Vatican, duh. Catholic Church has over a billion members. Pope dictates their sex life among other things.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Tyrannical?
    And the guy was elected.
    Depends on how you see it, doesn't it?
    The catholic church voted for him, not the people that follow his believes.
    Then again, he does not rule over them.

In any case, his right to warn about populism and the nutjobs that pop up all over the western world, such as Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    The pair publicly disagreed during the presidential campaign, with Pope Francis appearing to question Mr Trump's Christian faith over his plans to build a border wall with Mexico.
    My old man always used to refer to the Pope as the Aντιχριστος, he has no place questioning the Christian faith of non-Catholics, to them he is just a man in a dress.

The Pope that is, not my dad.

Only the ruling elite lives in Vatican, duh. Catholic Church has over a billion members. Pope dictates their sex life among other things.
    Almost none of these members are actual citizens of the Vatican though. Last time my passport read country: Germany and on some other papers maybe Religion: Christian - Rom/Khat. Besides that he doesn't rule over any one of us. I'd even argue that for most believing christians he is so far off the radar that they might as well have another religion (or confession) entirely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Almost none of these members are actual citizens of the Vatican though. Last time my passport read country: Germany and on some other papers maybe Religion: Christian - Rom/Khat.
    I don't see how that is in any way relevant to what I said. This is not about citizenship, this is about tyrannical leaders. Pope's reach transcends borders. It's terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    My old man always used to refer to the Pope as the Aντιχριστος, he has no place questioning the Christian faith of non-Catholics, to them he is just a man in a dress.

The Pope that is, not my dad.
    I don't quite get how he is supposed to be the "anti-christ", that's laying it on a bit thick.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see how that is in any way relevant to what I said. This is not about citizenship, this is about tyrannical leaders. Pope's reach transcends borders. It's terrifying.
    So does Madonna or any other popstar. Your point being you have no clue about anything and just want to throw out some crass theories.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Best Pope we've ever had, and clearly an intelligent guy.
    I agree. He is pretty great.

Now that is a far-fetched exaggeration. He has no power to actually enforce anything if people don't want to listen to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Didn't the Vatican help spread the Nazi ideology across Europe prior to- and in WW2?
    Even if so: I doubt that Francis had anything to do with that, seeing that he was born in 1936.

He has no power to actually enforce his beliefs on catholics. They are 100% free to ignore him. And a lot do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't quite get how he is supposed to be the "anti-christ", that's laying it on a bit thick.
    My father was Greek Orthodox, like many of his generation he despised Catholics. And Muslims. He wasn't too keen on Jews either.

He was a strong advocate of equal opportunities in prejudice.

10+ Year Old Account
    So does Madonna or any other popstar. Your point being you have no clue about anything and just want to throw out some crass theories.
    Madonna has no real power over people. Pope does, to devastating effect.

- - - Updated - - -

He has no power to actually enforce his beliefs on catholics. They are 100% free to ignore him. And a lot do.
    I don't know, the whole hell and damnation part sounds quite enforcing to the believers. Not to mention the indoctrination that starts in childhood. He doesn't need to enforce anything himself. That's not how religion works.

And I really cannot believe I need to explain this.

He does have power, otherwise there would be no need for Pope and no one would want to be one and there would be no Vatican.