Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    That's the point. It gives people a place to start working on just aiming without having to worry about being fragged constantly, since you're not getting a lot of practice in a real match if for every couple shots you take you also have to spend time waiting a rez timer and running back. It's just a starting point to get good about tracking the reticle, getting it over the heads quickly, and adjusting your control settings to find what works best for you. It's not intended to be a replacement for real play, it's intended to be way for people who are struggling to even contribute in real play to "catch up" so they feel more comfortable to practice there. It's a nice step between Quick Play and, say, a site like aimbooster.
    Good cherry pick.

You can have your views on it, but with all the stuff flying around in a real game all the practice you did while invincible against a firing range of strafing Anas is still not going to help you.

Pretty much every other game mode outside this little sand box game is going to improve you more.

Been playing shooters a very long time, and even back when I was a novice I doubt this would of helped me.

Thank you all for your tipps how to get better in aiming.
    The Ana-hunting is great. I set my sensi from 25 to 10 and maybe I'll reduce it to 5.. or since I can toggle sensi (logitech g402) I'll set it to 12 and on toggle 5?

Also if others are struggling .. I found another problem of myself. Since I mostly played tanks.. sometimes chars like Phara or Junkrat I never played a flanker and I always jumped in or at least I was at the front.
    I had to learn a lot of things with Sombra like waiting for the right moment to jump in. I'm now just sitting around 75% of the time, waiting, but somehow I manage to get some golds now.

I think I've got a good startpoint now where I can get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    Good cherry pick.

You can have your views on it, but with all the stuff flying around in a real game all the practice you did while invincible against a firing range of strafing Anas is still not going to help you.

Pretty much every other game mode outside this little sand box game is going to improve you more.

Been playing shooters a very long time, and even back when I was a novice I doubt this would of helped me.
    ... umm... they quoted your only real argument. By definition that doesn't really count as cherry picking.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    ... umm... they quoted your only real argument. By definition that doesn't really count as cherry picking.
    ....UUUMMMM.... while leaving out the part where I say it is useful for for aiming in that mode.

Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position.

I normally suck with mouse aiming but in overwatch i dont.
    Its nice.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

15+ Year Old Account
    Keep kalm when u aim.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

The pros tend to play with their entire arm rather than just wrist with elbow on the table. Developing muscle memory is much more exact in an entire arm of muscles than it is in just your wrist.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    Hello noobfriendly Overwatchcommunity,

Beeing bad at aiming started with quake 3 arena and it still didn't get better.
    Thanks to overwatch I'm ok with it because I'm usually playing a very good Reinhardt, Mercy or any other character where aiming isn't that important.

I did a long break at overwatch and now I came back and tested Sombra and god I love this Character, BUT I totally suck at aiming. When I try to gank a Widowmaker from behind she just needs to jump around and slap me with her rifle and all I can do is blink away or die.

How can I get better?
    Is this a thing about talent or training?
    I spent like an hour at the practice range, adjusted my mouse sensi, disabled acceleration and got some practice in drag aiming and it got a bit better against practice range robots, but I still suck at the game.
    Play the hardest character at aiming and once your ok you'll do much better on others. Just like in cod I do a lot of sniping and it helps me with AR or SMGs

Custom game, fill it with hard ana bots, enable head shots only, play w/e hero you want, and practice landing head shots. They can't kill you, they hop around a lot ect its good for practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    Thank you all for your tipps how to get better in aiming.
    The Ana-hunting is great. I set my sensi from 25 to 10 and maybe I'll reduce it to 5.. or since I can toggle sensi (logitech g402) I'll set it to 12 and on toggle 5?

Also if others are struggling .. I found another problem of myself. Since I mostly played tanks.. sometimes chars like Phara or Junkrat I never played a flanker and I always jumped in or at least I was at the front.
    I had to learn a lot of things with Sombra like waiting for the right moment to jump in. I'm now just sitting around 75% of the time, waiting, but somehow I manage to get some golds now.

I think I've got a good startpoint now where I can get better.
    Funny you bring that up because there's a quote directly from Zenyatta: "patience is a warriors greatest weapon". If you put some thought into that, it's very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    Eh, I'm not a big supporter of the 6 Anna thing.

They don't jump, there is no threat to you, and no abilities will be used.

It may improve your aim for doing the Anna match itself, but I hardly find useful in real game scenarios.
    I don't think it is a catch all but it is good at helping the mind to try to always target small target head shots of random moving targets. I did a few days of this and I noticed the improvement when a tracer blinked in and tried to shoot off to my right while shooting me and I put an entire clip of 76 bullets into her tiny head gibbing her before she could get off screen. I think she was rather surprised as well. Before that exercise I would not of pulled off all the headshots on such a tiny frame.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

What you really want to practise when finding your perfect sensibility is aiming while moving or strafing (WASD skills).
    Depending on mousepad / area available, you want to move the angle of your hand to move somewhat in sync with the angle on screen.

First you want to learn to track a non-moving target.
    To do so, try find a map where you find a single vertical line i.e pole or edge to aim at.
    Stand abit away from it, like what would be a natural distance in combat (10-20m), and start strafing from side to side, while aiming at the tiny line.
    You want to be able to get the crosshair stuck on 1 point in the distance, while moving sideways back and forth.
    Also try out how it feels to turn 180degrees, it is a really important "move" to get into muscle memory,
    and should be more or less the max angle you need available with the right settings.

Adjust sensibility a tad, and repeat the aim practise above to see if sensibility change made it better or worse.
    Try notice if you have an easier time going from left to right or opposite.

In the end you should end up with a sensibility that works for you.
    Now go practise by playing.

Have you thought about playing Soldier 76?

15+ Year Old Account
    Just wanted to say: awesome thread, a lot of good advice, mature conversation.
    The mouse sensitivity and "keep calm" already helped me - I'll probably train against Anna bots at some point, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    alternatively you could play symmetra

get a better mouse and mousepad

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    alternatively you could play symmetra
    That's gross
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Been playing FPS games for decades, and my aim is barely above average. I'm pretty much convinced some folks just have really good aim and some folks are different. If it was possible to just "improve" by any large margin, I would be far above average.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhnta View Post
    So when I play over watch, normally someone who doesn't have to aim as much [...] junkrat
    Has a junkrat ever hit the target they were aiming for? Always feels like a random grenade aimed at someone long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjavitis View Post
    Been playing FPS games for decades, and my aim is barely above average. I'm pretty much convinced some folks just have really good aim and some folks are different. If it was possible to just "improve" by any large margin, I would be far above average.
    Age doesn't help either.