Mage opener with RoP and AF

Hey

For some fights I take AF and RoP because there is a lot of AoE (esp in M+)

Since we only have 2 charges of fb if we take AF, what are you guys using as an opener, and when do you use Meteor? (I take it only on raid boss fights, even if theres a bit of AoE).

Because we only have 2 charges of fb, I usually fish for a HS before using RoP and combust.

When I get the HS, I cast RoP, combust, pyro, fb, pyro, fb, pf, pyro, pf, pyro, DB, pyro.

I don't know when to cast the meteor since it does not give a HU proc.

Thanks in advance.

So what simcraft does for this talent setup by default is:

RoP -> Dragon's Breath -> Meteor -> (wait until GCD is about to be up, but make sure you use Combustion before meteor lands) -> Combustion -> regular combustion rotation from here involving pyros, fire blasts, and PFs

Your RoP does run out before the end of combustion, yes. I'm not claiming that this is necessarily 100% the optimal rotation, but just telling you what the simcraft APL does in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Toas View Post
    Meteor -> (wait until GCD is about to be up, but make sure you use Combustion before meteor lands) -> Combustion ->
    I'm having issues with this. It seems like using combustion before the meteor lands is *not* enough to guarantee a crit with it. I'm able to guarantee a crit by casting combustion immediately after meteor, well before the meteor GCD is up, but I can cast combustion a full second before the meteor hits the ground and it still might not crit.

By my feels and target dummy tests it seems like the meteor uses the stats that your character has at the time when the meteor itself graphically appears but before it hits the ground.

(I ran into this issue when trying an opener while running mirror images and what I was trying to do was cast meteor followed by fireball and combust while the fireball is casting and the meteor is falling. This doesn't produce the results that I wanted as it is too late to guarantee a crit at that point.)

The patch of fire that meteor leaves behind seems to take your current stats for its ticks however so it should be optimal to ensure that for its duration you're in RoP and in combustion.

Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    I'm having issues with this. It seems like using combustion before the meteor lands is *not* enough to guarantee a crit with it. I'm able to guarantee a crit by casting combustion immediately after meteor, well before the meteor GCD is up, but I can cast combustion a full second before the meteor hits the ground and it still might not crit.
    It seems that meteor snapshots halfway through the "fall timer", or that is what has been observed by quite a few.

Deleted
    RoP -> Meteor -> Combustion -> combo but instead of 1 phoenix you use dragon's breath if you don't use RoP but MI you go Meteor -> MI -> Combustion -> combo in both of this situations you don't lose time of your combustion which is the most important part