Poll: What is your main reason for playing WoW?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JemiS View Post
    This poll really needs a "casual PVE" option.

The only thing that comes close is "minor aspects", or "Normal+ Raiding", with nothing in between for someone who does dungeons and/or LFR.

Lumping that in with "pet battles and professions" isn't really ideal, especially since the equivalent (casual PVP) is there.

The poll pretty much then becomes "I raid", "I PvP", or "I barely stay subscribed".
    Yes i noticed that, it's just a "reflex" since for... ever "casual PvE" ment "lowest difficulty raiding" and i'm not sure how to edit the poll now

Quote Originally Posted by nmityosaurus View Post
    You missed my reason for playing completely. I don't play objectively, I play to enjoy myself.
    Yes yes, it's not a job, contrary to popular belief i do find Mythic raiding FUN, in a dark soulsy kinda of way, plus the banter of 20+ manchildred coupled with nerd screaming when a boss dies are it's draws. It's the out of raiding (largely solo since we have ONE active tank outside of raid nights) grinding that's getting to me...
    Last edited by PowerOfTwo; 2017-01-25 at 08:17 PM.

i just joined a mythic guild at the beginning of January, I did grind my artifact from 32 to 49 in the past 3 weeks, but I'm enjoying it. No split-heroic runs, but we do loot council, which I like, it's a small and fair loot council.
    Oh and we did get world 31st M - Skorpyon kill, that was pretty cool.
    Please do one thing on the forums, read the whole post first, form an opinion, and then state whether you agree or disagree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Solo/Story content for me. Had a friend run me through my first mythic+2 and +5 yesterday and I raided normal EN when it came out but haven't done a normal+ raid since. Keep unsubscribing when I have nothing to do, then resub when there's something I want to achieve.

Deleted
    Mythic Dungeons, a little bit of PvP on the side and gathering professions.

Everything casual.

Used to be a hardcore raider from WoW's release all the way through end of WotLK then burnout hit me. Ever since then i find it significantly more enjoyable doing everything in the game on my own time with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerOfTwo View Post
    This will undoubtedly come by as an asshole elitist whineing kind of thread, but alot of things have got me thinking. Currently i'm a mythic raider and while not playing during most of cata / mop i've allways tryed to raid endgame. That's the entire reason i play WoW in vanila i killed 3 bosses in naxx and twin emps, in BC i got KJ, in Wrath i got arthas HC, and in HFC i went up to 11/13, guild died then got 13/13 before the end of the xpac, and am now 7/7M 2/3M 10/10 HC. Speaking as a pure dps class (warlock), while the raid design is top notch as it has been for the past 12 years, and while legion has some nice features this is by and large the most frustrating period ever in WoW for me. In short, AP grinding and legendaries. One might reasonably say "well if you expect to progress raid you need to put the hours in" but this has NEVER been true. In all previous expansions i'd raid 3 times, 12 hours a week and that was 90% of the time i spent on my main. And i never felt like it was falling behind.

Now from alot of points of view the game has become more casual friendly (and please understand this is NOT a bad thing, the pourpouse of the poll is that i'm curios if the devs are being incompetant / assholes or are simply designing for a differant crowd), but the one that stuck with me the most is the whole "we expect paragoning your artifact (54/54) to be an expansion long thing". Now even if you just log in every day, clear your AP WQ's and do ONE random heroic / win a BG that's 1M Ap, meaning it would take ~ 2 month to paragon an artifact... who the hell is the game designed for anymore if it's expected to take all expansion long?
    this poll is kinda pointless as mmochampion is not representative whatsoever for general population of wow - its way to biased towards super experiences and borderline addicted to game players - 95% of wow playerbase has probably no idea mmochamp even exists.

either way super casual ex-raider - my goal for past few years is to clear hc raid before AoTC gets removed. rest of time i spend leveling alts like pokemons (gotta have them all ) and sometimes rareli fooling around on them. dont care about gearing up to much besides what is nessesary to do semi decent dps good enough to clear hc. had shitload of fun though in beginign ofr expansion doin mythic + with friends
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2017-01-25 at 09:22 PM.

Would have been better if the poll had permitted multiple choices. My main activity for this expansion is casual pvp, 2-3 battlegrounds an evening and maybe some arenas (low rating) over the weekend, but I also collect transmog gear and level alts (don't know why, I likely won't have time to do the artifact grind for them). Haven't done any PVE this expansion (excepting LFR for story quests) since reaching max level, no auto que for dungeons is meh.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am as casual as they come. Just level characters and gear them as far as I can without raiding or doing M+.

An ultimately self-defeating approach as I end up playing less and less and eventually unsubscribe.

Alts. I love leveling and trying out different classes/specs, they're basically the only reason I play since I predominantly solo. Typically I would have unsubscribed by now since there's usually little to nothing soloable at end game, but WQs have been keeping me busy across multiple characters.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Deleted
    I play a month at most when new content is released, for the story.
    I also enjoy casual pvp.

I guess I'm one in the few in this forum that play the game this way, but what I enjoy the most about WoW anymore is learning the news, getting excited about new stuff, exploring the new zones and discovering its secrets, trying out new systems and seeing the story; that is raid up to LFR or do dungeons up to Mythic 0, or maybe a couple Mythic+.

As much as I enjoy progressing my character, getting all my major traits and acquiring some decent gear, I lose all interest after that point and usually unsub until something new comes, unless I get the itch to try out another class.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    My choice wasn't even near on the list.

I play because I enjoy it, I play because I can talk with my friends there. I play to raid. I play to pvp. I play to RP. I play to achieve and hunt. I play to experience. I play to follow the lore that might be interesting.
    This ! This is my answer ! Couldn't have said it better myself

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Currently only do mythic dungeons, and the occasional heroic raids. My prime days were back when I was in high school and had A LOT of time to play. Got my server firsts + gladiator and became fairly casual a few months later -> now.

All the Blizzard games besides Overwatch are just stale crap now. I'm the guy that quit. They don't listen to their fan base and they stopped caring since Wrath. The new Cata quests are just absolute shit compared to the old ones. MOP was mediocre, first 2 tiers were terrible. WOD was a wad of shit. And now in Legion the classes are broken. Wow 2.

Raid casually with my guild, PVP casually (non-rated bgs/Ashran), mount/pet collecting and RP.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Iam super casual now

The days of me grinding are long gone and i hopped off the gear merry go round ages ago so now i just farm old mounts and old achieves and just chill and what not knowing that i can new stuff at a later date.

7+ Year Old Account
    I primarily played to raid and I was only happy when I was raiding at the highest level.
    I always pvp'd though I had not done so in a serious way since WotLK.
    I loved developing all my characters, my main most of all, but all of my alts were a close second.
    I played the AH regularly. This was definitely a big "game with in the game" for me.
    I farmed mats, hired farmers, and did a lot of tradeskilling.
    I loved playing healers, in particular my resto druid but also my holy paladin, and resto shaman. I regularly did PvE runs with friends that were looking for warm bodies, regardless of needing loot or not.

During the height of my addiction interest I was probably averaging at least 4hrs a day. I loved the hell of the game back in its day. I'd say that while I was primarily a high end raider, I was easily an all around player.

Post It's lots of things.

What Thelxi said. I'm an old fantasy RPG geek who grew up reading LotR and playing D&D. Actually had a start-up as a teenager publishing some RPG stuff; one sold well enough to go to 3 printings!
    There are multiple facets of WoW that appeal to me:
    • Character Creation: Each of my toons is their own enjoyable creative endeavor, with racial lore, backstory, transmog (including mount, pets, and toys), and motivations.
    • Raiding: tbh, I enjoyed WoW for weeks (months?) before I ever understood what raids were. Heck I didn't even understand how dungeons worked in WoW the first time I stumbled into one. I started running dungeons regularly when my first toon was level 60ish. My first real raids were in ICC, which is also where I fell in love with tanking. I became my guild's main tank during progression on Syndragosa, and will always remember my first night standing at the Frozen Throne. These days I MT for a different guild, but it's whatever they need me to tank. We mostly clear Hs and dabble in Ms.
    • Mythic +: My current favorite. I never felt drawn to challenge modes in WoD, but I've come to love the fast-paced action of M+. The varying affixes keep things interesting from week-to-week. The tight teamwork you can achieve with 5-mans can be a thing of beauty when it's clicking on all cylanders.
    • Lore, Art, Story: I geek out on this stuff. To me, without these, the game would be pretty bland. I mean, if all we care about are numbers then why not play a math game? Some of Blizz's story telling can be pretty meh, but some is pretty good. Zul Drak and Suramar are probably my all-time favorite zones.
    • Guild & Friends: The social element of WoW is a big part of what keeps us logging in, right? For most of us? My guild mates make me feel respected and appreciated; I'd never want to disappoint them on raid night or when they're trying to complete their 15 for the week.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    this poll is kinda pointless as mmochampion is not representative whatsoever for general population of wow - its way to biased towards super experiences and borderline addicted to game players - 95% of wow playerbase has probably no idea mmochamp even exists.

either way super casual ex-raider - my goal for past few years is to clear hc raid before AoTC gets removed. rest of time i spend leveling alts like pokemons (gotta have them all ) and sometimes rareli fooling around on them. dont care about gearing up to much besides what is nessesary to do semi decent dps good enough to clear hc. had shitload of fun though in beginign ofr expansion doin mythic + with friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerikanec View Post
    This ! This is my answer ! Couldn't have said it better myself
    Ow i aggre the pole could have been made better, live and learn. The social aspect is definetly the main drive for some people no arguments here.

My main goal is raiding at a Mythic level, but due to need to do infinite easy and dull content for ap/tf/leg I had quit month ago.
    Love the lore, so I plan to use tokens for a month every major patch.

I play to know the lore, do some mythic+ dungeons, normal/heroic raids (pugs mostly). Don't have that much time to commit to mythic raids. WoW isn't timesink anymore for me, real life stuff got more importance now for me. God, that was an opposite back in 2006 when I started playing