Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Scientists’ March on Washington

In response to the anti-science climate in Washington, looks like scientists want to push back.

The official Twitter account for the march, @ScienceMarchDC, has gained over 60,000 followers in two days. The event’s original Facebook group, which is now only accessible to members, had only a handful of subscribers on Wednesday morning but grew to more than 350,000 people by that evening.

Looks like we're going to get a whole lotta Bill Nye the Science Guy.

please for the love of god let this be a thing.

scientists are usually too passive in these situations. it's time for them to get out and make some fucking noise.

What are these marches hoping to accomplish?

I'll share it with my co-workers tomorrow (the tech company I work for is very anti-Trump). Sounds like an excellent idea.

Maybe we can bring some of our robots and get them to march too. You know, not intimidating or ominous or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    What every protest is hoping to accomplish: to get the attention of the government to make changes.

Awareness of whatever they are marching for.

Thing is, unless you are personally involved in whatever they are marching for, you have take it on faith that they are not just trying to protect their own jobs.

No one wants to loose their well paying job if they have no way to get another, after all.

Unless what they are marching for has nothing to do with their job, of course.

In the case of the women's march, it was mainly about Planned Parenthood - they don't want to loose gov funding or be banned which would cause alot of them to close down.

In the case of the scientists march, it will mainly be about their job integrity - they don't want to loose their credibility which would cause them to loose their jobs.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-01-26 at 08:57 AM.

This is a real thing! I'm going to make a "Let's get nerdy!" shirt for the march. I'm being serious.

Deleted
    Well what do you guess? Are they sightseeing? Is it a new trend of pilgrim you missed? It's mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdeii View Post
    The science field is somewhat anti-trump. Most of them definitely hate the guy, the rest are rather libertarian and don't mind him. That being said, scientists in general are really like everyone else: easily swayed by emotion. Not that this is a bad thing, but I'd rather they not do a march so that I don't feel embarrassed by whatever they end up doing that is also rather...dumb (happens at almost every 'protest').
    Eh it really depends. The Massachusetts tech scene is pretty much actively against him. A bunch of groups have sprung up among workers here in the last couple of months.

There is basically a quiet agreement that Trump, and the Federal Government under him, doesn't get one shred of cooperation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    What every protest is hoping to accomplish: to get the attention of the government to make changes.
    Trump is signing executive orders. That's basically a giant middle finger to his opponents. It means he isn't interested in these laws passing through the democratic process.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I'll share it with my co-workers tomorrow (the tech company I work for is very anti-Trump). Sounds like an excellent idea.

Maybe we can bring some of our robots and get them to march too. You know, not intimidating or ominous or anything.
    Could a person commission a nazi punching robot?

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Could a person commission a nazi punching robot?

I'm not one who believes in political violence whatsoever, even punching domestic Nazis (foreign Nazis though? American as apple pie).

THAT SAID, if Donald Trump were to look out the Oval office window, and mistake a few marching science robots as a sign of a robot uprising, I mean... that would be just too bad.

Oh who am I kidding. He'd start ranting on Twitter about how the robots are taking over, and it would be only half as insane as stuff he's already actually written.

Awareness.... that's all.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Awareness.... that's all.
    Also networking.

You cannot convince people that don't beleive in evidence and think presenting alternate facts is acceptable.

These people will not belive in it no matter how much evidence or proof you provide them.

For those wondering, #intersectionality is a core principle of #ScienceMarch, and we will soon be releasing our formal vision.
    https://twitter.com/ScienceMarchDC/s...22044422717442

Well, that went to shit pretty fast.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also networking.
    Also skipping work
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    https://twitter.com/ScienceMarchDC/s...22044422717442

Well, that went to shit pretty fast.
    Whoa, yeah, that's not science.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Also skipping work
    Sum of us edumicated folk have work requirements a little bit different than your average deplorable. Hell half the places you can work at nowdays let you work home two days a week after 6 months if you want to.

A bit different than your average ditch digger.

Sum of us edumicated folk have work requirements a little bit different than your average deplorable. Hell half the places you can work at nowdays let you work home two days a week after 6 months if you want to.

A bit different than your average ditch digger.
    I thought the deplorables didn't have jobs and they voted for Trump to give them jobs.