10+ Year Old Account

Broken Isles and Suramar

Hello.

So i recently go back to Warcraft III and playing campaing, and one thing that struck me is second night elves mission, where Maiev Land on Isles during her chase after Illidan. She said that isles was recently moved up from sea floor and they are around familiar ruins that is Suramar, later in that mission there is a side quest where Orc Warlock Drak'Thul (i may write it wrong ), said that isles were risen from depths of sea by Gul'Dan 20 years ago (guess it was during second war, and it is reason why Doomhammer Horde have to fall back from siege of Lordaeron becasue of Stormreavers and Twilight Hammer Clans treachery in Gul'Dan quest for Tomb of Sargeras). And now we're in legion where it looks like Broken Isles were just there entire time. Did Blizz explain it or just another lame retcon/lore change ?

Working theory is that only the Broken Shore / Isle of the Tomb of Sargeras was lifted from the ocean and the rest of it (except maybe coastal areas where ruined Kal'dorei ruins lay wasted) were always there. There's some support for this going back to Wrath and the Kvaldir there referring to the "other" Vykrul but it's thin. It's a gentle retcon.

Deleted
    retcons... retcons everywhere

Explanation was that only Isle with Tomb of Sargeras was risen

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    The only thing that Gul'dan raised from the seafloor was the area that is now known, as the Broken Shore, the rest was always there - that's the official explanation.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

7+ Year Old Account
    Retcon, isles been there since the sundering.
    Gul'dan just brought thal'dranath up from the sea floor.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Witcher Arafal View Post
    Retcon, isles been there since the sundering.
    Gul'dan just brought thal'dranath up from the sea floor.
    Pretty much this.

You have to assume that they've known the location and been traveling to and from for at least a little while since Illidan and the rest of the Demon Hunters were being kept in the Vault of the Wardens, which is located off the coast of Azsuna. It does seem odd that Malfurion would go through the whole "OMG VAL'SHARAH" thing though if the Broken Isles had been there the entire time, so it's generally odd and doesn't all seem to add up too well.

I think it's just one of those "use your imagination" type things because there doesn't seem to have been any completed explanation of what happened, not to mention the fact that the Night Elves who live in Val'sharah just happen to not give a flying crap about Suramar city or the Nightborne at all the entire time they're living fairly close to it or the random Gilnean detachment that sailed over and settles right next to a massive Night Elf land holding at Bradensbrook when presumably some of the Ravencrest line was still alive (Illysana for example, even if imprisoned for a while) that is conveniently allowed. It's all over the place, honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, forgot about Illysana, want to ask something as well. So as far as i understand she is/was at least 10k years old and she's Ravencres Daughter, found her book in BRH that said she don't really trust Illidan. I wonder when she became a DH, i assume she has to be kind of "1st generation" of them, becaming one around Illidan's Time ?

Quote Originally Posted by Felarion View Post
    Hello.

So i recently go back to Warcraft III and playing campaing, and one thing that struck me is second night elves mission, where Maiev Land on Isles during her chase after Illidan. She said that isles was recently moved up from sea floor and they are around familiar ruins that is Suramar, later in that mission there is a side quest where Orc Warlock Drak'Thul (i may write it wrong ), said that isles were risen from depths of sea by Gul'Dan 20 years ago (guess it was during second war, and it is reason why Doomhammer Horde have to fall back from siege of Lordaeron becasue of Stormreavers and Twilight Hammer Clans treachery in Gul'Dan quest for Tomb of Sargeras). And now we're in legion where it looks like Broken Isles were just there entire time. Did Blizz explain it or just another lame retcon/lore change ?
    Remember most of the RTS was written with no plans for a game the scale of WoW so a lot of stuff did not need to be fleshed out for the sake of the story. When they actually tried to fit everything together for WoW changes had to be made. Chronicles is a greater more to scale version of the Warcraft universe from a starting point moving forward than the RTS games were.

Quote Originally Posted by Felarion View Post
    Oh, forgot about Illysana, want to ask something as well. So as far as i understand she is/was at least 10k years old and she's Ravencres Daughter, found her book in BRH that said she don't really trust Illidan. I wonder when she became a DH, i assume she has to be kind of "1st generation" of them, becaming one around Illidan's Time ?
    IIRC she was among the first DHs trained by Illidan, but was imprisoned since the WotA and escaped along with the Illidari, but was never part of them. I don't know if they fixed that by now, but they erroneously put her in the Mardum part of the Demon Hunter starting experience, which she couldn't have been there for as she was still imprisoned at the time.

As some said, the Broken Shore is what Gul'dan raised while the rest were apparently always there and we never visited them or so much as heard of them because fuck you.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    As some said, the Broken Shore is what Gul'dan raised while the rest were apparently always there and we never visited them or so much as heard of them because fuck you.
    The reason we didn't go there is simple:

We had no reason to. There was nothing of interest really. Just some sheltered and xenophobic societies, really. Like, the Wardens are xenophobic, the people of Azsuna are xenophobic, the Hightotems are xenophobic, and well, Suramar.

Only the Druids were nice-ish, but who cares about Druids.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    IIRC she was among the first DHs trained by Illidan, but was imprisoned since the WotA and escaped along with the Illidari, but was never part of them. I don't know if they fixed that by now, but they erroneously put her in the Mardum part of the Demon Hunter starting experience, which she couldn't have been there for as she was still imprisoned at the time.
    Might be another minor retcon. She could have been released at the same time Illidan was, and joined the Illidari on Outland. Probably just them messing up, but it's a possible explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    she was the first Demon Hunter after Illidan but I don't know why she was imprisoned.