Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

A little idea of a new playable race

Well, number of remaining races grows thin as expansions go out, but I just got struck by sudden idea.
    Because in 7.3 we will most likely get in touch and close cooperation with the Army of the Light...remember, they actually are remnants of races decimated by Legion. So, after the war on Argus ends, where would they go? Their homeworlds are shattered and/or fel-infested, they can't live there. Traveling through the Nether...well that's not too good.
    So why won't the refugees from the Army join Azeroth, just like Draenei did?
    Aldrachi - an Alliance race, for example. Yes, completely new and fresh.
    What for Horde, have no idea, really.
    But I'd like to see an ancient and powerful race as playable, and you?

Deleted
    "All that remains of the race are the Aldrachi Warblades"

They're dead and gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    They could always say there is some pocket group left alive somewhere but yes, all lore currently states they are extinct.

That being said, I definitely thing a totally new race introduced as part of the Army of the Light would make quite a bit of sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should just add like 50 races to play for each faction and avoid adding anymore classes. Adding more classes is what's ruining the game. More races won't homogenize classes, so I'm okay with whatever races they want to add.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    They should just add like 50 races to play for each faction
    That would take a looooooooot of work, just making all armor and weapons fit each single race. Not to mention coming up with Racials for each of them. Unless they totally scrap Racials, there's going to be just as much balancing with those as there would be with classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    That would take a looooooooot of work, just making all armor and weapons fit each single race. Not to mention coming up with Racials for each of them. Unless they totally scrap Racials, there's going to be just as much balancing with those as there would be with classes.
    I think he was exaggerating lol. I mean, depending on how long wow lasts we'll probably -eventually- get to that point!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Not really, they wouldn't have to create an insane amount of abilities. They'd just scrap racials and make all the races the same.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Deleted
    I dont think we necessarily need new races in the next expansion. Giving us more design options for existing races would be completely enough. More skin tones for Mag'har Orcs or Dragon Maws or Dark Iron Dwarves or Manari Eredar etc would be enough. And maybe put in a body format option like in SWTOR, and et voilat: you can make Forest Trolls and Ice Trolls as well.
    Last edited by mmocc0f7df4180; 2017-01-29 at 07:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to have Ogres be a playable race.
    Not sure for the other faction since I don't play that.
    For the Horde!

According to the lore of the Aldrachi, they were not a friendly people. They were a warrior race obsessed with their soul-trapping weapons, willing to mercilessly slaughter family for the right to bear one. They had the strength to resist corruption. But that doesn't make them the good guys.

Besides, unless you're pretty or worship the Light, you're not getting into the Alliance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Besides, unless you're pretty or worship the Light, you're not getting into the Alliance.
    *cough* Worgen *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by alphalion View Post
    *cough* Worgen *cough*
    Worgen are just really crappy druids. Most of them were just normal humans doing human things before they got *cursed* so its all good.

7+ Year Old Account
    *cough* Worgen *cough*
    implying worgens do not worship light too

or have a human counterpart to be pretty

*cough* Worgen *cough*
    They were once part of the Alliance and are pretty much just humans with very bad anger issues.

OT

It is doubtful some Aldrachi survived and if they did I don't really see them getting along with the races of Azeroth, they might see them as too soft to be reliable.

Gnolls, FTW they r cute

While the Adrachi are not a viable option, I do agree with the opening poster that the Army of Light may offer opportunities for a new Alliance race.

While practically any race can join the Horde, the Alliance is difficult to find a good match for. The only race I think would do well with the Alliance without further story development is Dryads. But we know the Army of Light will be compatible with Humans through faith, which will help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    According to the lore of the Aldrachi, they were not a friendly people. They were a warrior race obsessed with their soul-trapping weapons, willing to mercilessly slaughter family for the right to bear one. They had the strength to resist corruption. But that doesn't make them the good guys.

Well, NElves were actually quite xenophobic and unwelcoming nation, but they had to rethink their politics. Same goes for Aldrachi possible survivors. Thier homeworld was obliterated, their way of life was proved unable to make them survive ultimately. So it's very likely that they will reconsider at least a part of their attitude.

What about the Light. Army of the Light is ultimately gathered and guided by the Naary, and they ARE Light as it is. If there were some Aldrachi surviviors, at least women and children (since men likely fought until the last warrior standing), they, exiled and facing the Light, would wery likely accept it.
    They seem a lot like Spartans, but still things change - they were forced to cooperate with maaaany other races and follow the Light-infused creatures and leaders.

And I think they would perfectly fit with Alliance philosophy - discipline, servitude, hierarchy and faith. I think they are an amazing option. Would be sad if they don't use it, imo.

Deleted
    Honestly the issue is not truly how many races there are, but rather, if they would indeed be cool to play.

Now, let's be honest now, some of the latest additions were not very played. I mean, Pandaren and Goblins for example are some of the least played races.

What Blizzard should think about first and foremost should be:
    -coolness factor - meaning if people truly would love playing a race any why
    -the lore - the race should have some existing lore so that new players don't feel in a different world when leaving their starting area as their race is no longer present anywhere
    -if that race exists, how known and loved it is.

The first aspect in particular is quite subjective though, so the common denominator should be found. It's somewhat clear that goblins and pandaren did not really have that same coolness that orcs, draenei, tauren, undead and worgen have, let alone that of humans, blood elves and night elves.

Honestly, my opinion, and now I could be wrong, is that people gravitate to beautiful, known or exotic races. A plus consists of how that associated element is viewed.
    Let's take the three main played races:
    - Humans are extremely known (we're all humans in the end), many find them beautiful because they're human and since they have crazy notes on first two aspects they don't need to be exotic. But humans are known as great benefactors and horrible murderers, they are everything from one extreme to another.
    - Blood elves are known as high elves or elves in other books/games/etc, they're beautiful and a bit exotic. They are seen as high class, standing tall in front of everything.
    - Night elves are associated with drow or wood elves, are beautiful and exotic. Associated with the woods, mysticism, they have that mystery aura around them.

Now we get to those races that are still good, I'll take just 3 examples:
    -orcs are known from multiple books and games, not very beautiful but quite exotic. Known as powerful barbarians of sorts.
    -draenei are not known much at all, although they somewhat look like good demons, they are somewhat beautiful and extremely exotic. Knwon as demons who are good, makes you wonder if they went above evil, and if you look at their lore, they did.
    -tauren are known as minotaurs, they don't look very good, they are not that exotic but and feel like a powerful race of warriors practicing magic.

Now let's look at the bottom races:
    - pandaren are only known as panda people outside. Panda bears, while nice... are not very smart. Now, I know what you might be thinking, people might associate pandaren with big powerful bear people... no. Because of their portrayal, they are fat pandas. Remember, one of the reason so many people turned away from MoP was because it was filled with big fat pandas. That's how people see them. They are not very beautiful. And, due to the fact that they're so alike panda bears, they're not really exotic either. They feel like fat pandas living in an ancient story-like China. Honestly, if they would have been another race of humans, the Chinese aspect would have made them more playable, but due to the panda aspect it makes them feel bland. They just don't stand out through anything.
    - goblins - known from some books or other games... but known as greedy mad suicidal bombers mostly. This makes certain people shy away from them. They are not beautiful at all. They are somewhat exotic. But they're still seen as greedy mad suicidal and little. They're unimposing and annoying. Which makes people dislike them.

Now, let's think what other races are in WoW that fulfill some of the aspects:
    - Naga - known from other books, games and myths, from the naga to mermaids and tritons. They are somewhat beautiful, at least the females. Both genders are especially exotic and quite imposing in-game. Remember, mermaids are seen as those beautiful beings who lure sailors to their deaths. Somewhat mysterious and yet strong.
    - Saberon - known from other books and games as the cat people, they also remember of the lions and tigers of our world. The in-game model does make them look strong and powerful. Not truly beautiful, and due to the resemblance to cats, not really exotic, but they are powerful and look the part. Lions and tigers are seen as kings of the jungle, cunning and imposing.
    - Etherals - they seem like mystic humans, which makes them feel known even if they're not. Also reminiscent of mummies. Not quite beautiful, but if they made the males and females somewhat clear in their curves, they could attract through their mystery in a way. Quite exotic, simply due to the mystery behind those bandages. For those thinking of mummies, they also seem powerful in spells.

Please note that these are the races that would have the most success in my opinion. Not the ones I'd like to play the most. I know there are others desired, but usually the motives they are desired for seem hallow (for example ogres, generally the reason you see them desired is because they belong to the Horde and should be there... ok, but ... that doesn't show people want to play them, they just want them there to complete the Old Horde...). There are also some sub-races that would be successful, quite a bit actually, like high elves, nightborne and vrykul, as they're quite similar to blood elves, night elves and humans.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Honestly the issue is not truly how many races there are, but rather, if they would indeed be cool to play.
    or, if they racial rly matter too

no matter what race you will add, they will never, ever, be as playable as blood elf and human, pretty much because model/lore/another rpgs/books aND they have good and useful racials, this como make then "perfect" for the mass

Also, the only races i can see as to be little more playable are vrykul ogre and naga, because obvious reasons, if you put a good racial, there re no problem anymore

Maybe a vampire race would be much playable, like worgens, something NAtherzin related, like if are human can turn into a worgen, a orc can turn into a natherzin, maybe you get a lot of retcons, but damn, would be cool a racial flying at lv 60