Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Too many people on both sides too eager to say "I told you so" than to reflect on the unnecessary loss of life.

Gotta advance that agenda tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Waiting for more details to make a judgement. But based on the fact that one of the shooters was named Mohamed, was Moroccan, and shouted 'Allahu ackbar!' as he opened fire, I would say that it's possible that this could be a revenge attack rather than an attack directed against Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Not only that, but it seems that there wasn't two shooters, but one.

And the police won't say who's whom.
    I've noticed that about these incidents, they always say there are multiple shooters and it turns out to be one guy.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Obviously the police aren't going to release all the details yet. Too many people are foaming at the mouth for the chance to jump on this side or another. It's expected and with good reason to allow people a time to grieve over this tragic event.
    That's the truth right there. Meanwhile 6 innocent people are dead and others are injured. But hey who gives a shit as long as your side is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    There is no anti immigrant movement wide spread across Quebec. What you do across the american border is meaningless here. Not only is it an attack on a peaceful community thats well established in Quebec City. It was part of the muslims that supported the valor charter preventing religious symbols for government employees. A direct attack on Quebec citizens period.
    How did you Quebecer's assimilate them so thoroughly and completely into your society?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    It was committed by other Muslims, who appear to be of foreign origin. Is it still a hate crime?
    False. One of them has a Muslim name, but we known next to nothing else about him. The other is a born-and-bred québécois with nothing special about him save that he visited the Front National website a couple times, but he also ''liked'' left-leaning personalities on Facebook so at this point it's totally impossible to ascribe a motive to him.

Now if some people could stop making this a conversation about ''muh evul muslims'' right after a Mosque got shot up for reasons unknown, that would be great. Or at least wait until we know the motives of the killers.

Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    that's not they "hate crimes" work.
    Actually, it is

A Hate Crime is a criminal offence committed against a person or property, the motive for which is based in whole or in part upon the victim's race, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, gender, disability or sexual orientation.

A muslim that attacks another muslim because they are "the wrong kind of muslim" is still committing a hate crime.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2017-01-30 at 05:21 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    How did you Quebecer's assimilate them so thoroughly and completely into your society?
    Thoroughly enough to say that the police just said that Mohammed Khadir is no longer considered a suspect.

Only Alexandre Bissonnette is still being considered the shooter.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Waiting for more details to make a judgement. But based on the fact that one of the shooters was named Mohamed, was Moroccan, and shouted 'Allahu ackbar!' as he opened fire, I would say that it's possible that this could be a revenge attack rather than an attack directed against Islam.
    Never understood the increased usage of the term terrorism. Sure it's an easy term to exploit the situation, but a shooting by a muslim at other muslims doesn't sound like a hate crime or terrorism. If so, why is it not terrorism when one inner city gang goes into another gang's turf and open fires on them in a house or a drive-by shooting?

It's obvious Trudeau is politicizing this by terming this "terrorism against Muslims", and calling it a "hate-crime", but it is completely laughable to label it a such.

- - - Updated - - -

Thoroughly enough to say that the police just said that Mohammed Khadir is no longer considered a suspect.

Only Alexandre Bissonnette is still being considered the shooter.
    No, I am asking how you brought them to heel so effectively.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never understood the increased usage of the term terrorism. Sure it's an easy term to exploit the situation, but a shooting by a muslim at other muslims doesn't sound like a hate crime or terrorism. If so, why is it not terrorism when one inner city gang goes into another gang's turf and open fires on them in a house or a drive-by shooting?

It's obvious Trudeau is politicizing this by terming this "terrorism against Muslims", and calling it a "hate-crime", but it is completely laughable to label it a such.
    Alexandre Bissonnette doesn't sound like a Muslim name.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account

Well, I think the only ridiculous bit here is that such statements are being made without complete knowledge of the situation. It's very possible that this could be a terrorist attack, that only one of the suspects was actually a shooter, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Alexandre Bissonnette doesn't sound like a Muslim name.
    Medias report that he was working for Hema Quebec.

That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Why the hell would someone who work for an organization that saves lives shoot Muslims?
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Why the hell would someone who work for an organization that saves lives shoot Muslims?
    Brainwashed perhaps, some people seem to have weak fucking minds who you can sway into kill innocent people.

Not treating someone like a potential mass murderer just because he's named Ahmed or something is a start.

Other than that, most of us are non-plussed because we've seen a variety of political violence. Yes, there were two Islamic attacks in Canada not too long ago (made by Canadians who radicalized online, mind you, not immigrants or refugees), but we also had the FLQ (extremist separatists) causing havoc back in 1970 which prompted a period of War Measures. Two deacades back, we had some crazy mysoginist guy shoot up women in a university. A few years ago some dude attempted to murder the newly elected Prime Minister the night of her victory, killing someone in the process. And those are in Québec alone.

Bottom line is, we haven't suffered the traumatism of 9/11 or the butcheries in Western Europe. We've seen political violence comes from all spectrums, so the majority don't associate it with Islam in particular. Helps that we generally do a good job of integrating immigrants, which is admitedly made easier by the fact we mostly accept those from french-speaking Muslim countries such as Algeria or Lebannon.

I don't know, we have people in the US who are against capital punishment, yet they are for killing babies via abortion.

Strange world we live in.

Probably by not calling them terrorists, and discriminating against them at every turn?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Yeah, can confirm that Mohamed Belkhadir is now only considered a witness by the police, not a suspect. Only Alexandre Bissonnette is now a suspect, and nothing indicates he converted to Islam or anything (so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Almost half a billion Americans support US laws, death penalty, etc.
    Death Penalty support in the US is around 50 percent depending on the polling source, so that's about 160 million if you assume that's consistent for the entire country. Not quite half a billion. Must be European "maths" at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Death Penalty support in the US is around 50 percent depending on the polling source, so that's about 160 million if you assume that's consistent for the entire country. Not quite half a billion. Must be European "maths" at work.
    You forgot to apply some "not all X" logic followed by cherry-picking skepticism and claim something like "they only polled a couple hundred people, they didn't ask me or anyone I know!"

http://heavy.com/news/2017/01/alexan...-video-motive/

Seems the former canadian army cadet Bissonnette did it alone.