Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Climate change is a conspiracy of scientists wanting to own beach front property.

Jesus fucking christ.
    When a proponenet of the theory that sea levels will rise makes his prophecies, then goes out and buys a beachfront property that he has ALREADY SAID will be "flooded by rising seas"...one has to ask why is it he doesnt practise what he preaches?

If the seas will rise as he says they will...why did he buy a property he "knows" will be flooded?

Quote Originally Posted by Aehl View Post
    When a proponenet of the theory that sea levels will rise makes his prophecies, then goes out and buys a beachfront property that he has ALREADY SAID will be "flooded by rising seas"...one has to ask why is it he doesnt practise what he preaches?

If the seas will rise as he says they will...why did he buy a property he "knows" will be flooded?
    Probably because nobody is predicting the sea level will rise by 500 feet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I have something better, since some people have reading problems:

Excellent video that pretty much destroys all the denier arguments.

Of course they will never watch it.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Calling someone " a denier" for having their own mind, as well as comments like Mihalek's, is kinda one of the reasons I still have my doubts and will CONTINUE to have them.

Good luck ever changing my mind either, if thats the way you will approach it.
    Probably because nobody is predicting the sea level will rise by 500 feet.
    If it rises at all.
    If these predictions are accurate.
    If the scientists are wrong (it does happen you know).
    If later data comes along and shows them they were wrong.
    If their predictions dont come true in a hundred years.
    If the sun doesnt go nova.
    If we arent hit by a gigantic asteroid.

These models are made up of what we know and what we THINK we know, but the truth is we actually dont know, because there is no way currently to confirm whether or not these projections are even remotely accurate for at least a hundred years.
    Last edited by Aehl; 2017-02-01 at 03:22 AM.

I have a personal experience to share about climate change and china's policies about that. I've met a chinese person who works for ByD (a chinese auto industry). He's pushing for the introduction of mass production electric cars and buses (for commuting). the chinese plans to dominate that market in the next 20 years

Calling someone " a denier" for having their own mind, as well as comments like Mihalek's, is kinda one of the reasons I still have my doubts and will CONTINUE to have them.

If you deny the fact that AGW is real (and by definition is produced by humans), then you're a denier
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post

Of course they will never watch it.
    This dude has a video about that, as well... I swear, he's one of the few smart people on Youtube:

Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    I have a personal experience to share about climate change and china's policies about that. I've met a chinese person who works for ByD (a chinese auto industry). He's pushing for the introduction of mass production electric cars and buses (for commuting). the chinese plans to dominate that market in the next 20 years
    And Trump's idiocy is the greatest gift the US could ever give to China. They can completely dominate the market while people in the US can't even agree that clean energy is needed.

If you deny the fact that AGW is real (and by definition is produced by humans), then you're a denier
    Im actually in the undecided camp. Neither for nor against, I am willing, as obviously some of you arent, to say we dont know for certain yet.

Which we dont. Yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it rises at all.

These models are made up of what we know and what we THINK we know, but the truth is we actually dont know, because there is no way currently to confirm whether or not these projections are even remotely accurate for at least a hundred years.
    "But what if you're wrong? Let's just wait and see" is not an argument.

If it rises at all.

It's not that I'm saying you're being ridiculous. It's more that I'm saying... you're ignoring actual measurements taken today. "If it rises at all" isn't an if. It is being measured. Scientifically. With instruments and shit.

What's worse is... you're not just against the whole climate change because you're convinced it's bullshit. You're against it out of spite. That's like shooting yourself just to piss the robber off. I think, we can all agree that sniffing the exhaust of a car is a pretty shitty idea, right? Why are you against making the atmosphere cleaner? Fuck climate change if that's your thing. Fine, ignore all the science. Why not do something about it regardless of science? Why not just... make air cleaner?

Look at Beijing during one of their smogs (which seems to be eternal these days). Fuck temperature and all that jazz, why not just... try to get rid of smog? Which is a problem acknowledged by everyone. Incidentally, the steps to reduce smog are the same to help our climate. So, it's a win-win. You can say "Fuck you climate change!" and we can say "Okay, but he's still doing the right thing..."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    And Trump's idiocy is the greatest gift the US could ever give to China. They can completely dominate the market while people in the US can't even agree that clean energy is needed.
    Meh, Europe is still a pretty big number in the alternative energy sector. China won't dominate as long as we're here. Heck, Germany is abandoning nuclear energy just to force ourselves into using safe and clean energy. Not sure if it's the smartest plan of them all, but heck, at least we're trying...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it rises at all.
    They have. Measurably. By about 8 inches globally, on average. https://www.epa.gov/climate-indicato...tors-sea-level
    This isn't in question. If you understand how to read a ruler, you should know better.*

They have been so far, and the science behind them has been repeatedly confirmed over and over in labs all over the world.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-models.htm

If you have valid reasons to argue that models aren't accurate, scientists would welcome you showing where the error is. Funny how that never actually happens.

And? That doesn't say they are wrong, here. Do you also assume that scientists are wrong about electricity? Gravity?

You realize this happens, like, all the time, right? Scientists then evaluate things and determine if that data's caused by some unknown factor, if there's an issue in measurement or methodology, and so forth. Data is always assessed and included. That's literally how science works, and how we've gotten to where we are.

You're repeating yourself.

Also, projections aren't predictions, and not understanding the difference is a pretty clear mark against you. Oracles and psychics make predictions. Scientists aren't either.

And not if the rainbow unicorns emerge from their slumber and rape everything to death, either. Why are we making up nonsense there's no basis for?

Yeah. Completely false. See above. We've been making projections on this since the '60s, they've been accurately modeling warming trends to date, and we've been refining the accuracy as we go along and get more data. There's no reason to expect that to change, unless you've got actual, valid information that scientists are ignoring, in which case, get involved.*

Also, again, models aren't predictions. They're projections based on certain assumptions that are assumed to not accurately represent what will happen in the future. They're assumptions made to measure how things will progress under various conditions. Like when you plan a trip, and figure out how long each route will take you. Those aren't predictions as to when you'll arrive, and getting their 20 minutes later because there was unexpected traffic doesn't mean your route planning was "wrong". It means one of your premises was "there won't be traffic", and that premise didn't accurately model events as they happened. *You weren't claiming to be a psychic who knew there wouldn't be traffic.

10+ Year Old Account
    China, India, and most other countries have been on track in reducing their emissions, as has the US.

In every single way, I find that climate change deniers are about 10-20 years behind on information. Just now, they seem to be accepting what we knew in the 90's. "Well it's changing, and we may be the cause, but is it really so bad?" That's what the scientists were studying in the 90's.

Now we also have the fact that people still think China is doing nothing, when in fact their emissions are falling at a faster percentage than the US. I didn't realize you people wanted to be second to China. Then again Trumpkins are all about racing to the bottom, eh?
    And then pretending it's the top, yes. I would hope that the Trumpers live to see the error of their ways and work to atone for their misdeed(s), but that would require a level of self-awareness I doubt they'll ever possess - instead, they'll just die (and die younger than they would have had they not elected Trump) and leave the rest of the human race to clean up their mess (even the chances of seeing a broken Trump rotting in a cell seem rather small - he's going to go out like Valentinian or Hitler).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Whew, I'm really glad we're rolling back this climate change stuff.

And to think, we could have inadvertently improved the planet and made it better. Close one!

It's about time we stand up to those bully trees. Our MASSIVE trade deficit with trees will end now! We give them carbon dioxide, the best gas, period. They give us lousy Oxygen, very selfish. Sad.

My new deregulation plan will create so much winning beach front property, your gonna get so tired of winning with new beaches. All the houses that cant function under water are failures, sad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Everyone has their own mind. I'm not sure what your point is. It's just that some people are capable of recognizing scientific evidence, while others just listen to pundits, politicians, and big business leaders.

When it comes to your health, if an oncologist says you have cancer, and some random nobody says "NAW THAT AIN'T CANCER, THAT'S AN AWESOME BUMP!" are you going to side with the professional and thousands of scientific papers, or random dudes screaming?

You claim to have your own mind, and yet all of your rebuttals have been things others came up with. You haven't presented a single original thought in this thread. So... your claim to have "your own mind" on this is laughably false, considering every line you use has been used thousands of times before you.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Everyone has their own mind. I'm not sure what your point is. It's just that some people are capable of recognizing scientific evidence, while others just listen to pundits, politicians, and big business leaders.

When it comes to your health, if an oncologist says you have cancer, and some random nobody says "NAW THAT AIN'T CANCER, THAT'S AN AWESOME BUMP!" are you going to side with the professional and thousands of scientific papers, or random dudes screaming?

You claim to have your own mind, and yet all of your rebuttals have been things others came up with. You haven't presented a single original thought in this thread. So... your claim to have "your own mind" on this is laughably false, considering every line you use has been used thousands of times before you.
    Have "your own mind" man, listen to the random dudes screaming!

/s

And yeah, most of these hypocrites screaming they have "their own mind" and don't "follow science blindly" always seem to copypasta the same rubbish from other debunked and shamed deniers, as if it isn't obvious if you aren't proficient in said field, you should listen to experts in said field instead of internet loudmouths and conspiracy sites.

- - - Updated - - -

[/B]
    If you are the kind that won't believe that gravity exists because someone was mean to you, then you are the opposite of having your own mind.

You are just emotionally charged and decide with your feelings, people just need to pander to get you to listen to their every word, or purposely insult to get you to disbelieve certain facts they actually find inconvenient for other sheep to believe in.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    The US emissions can easily be cut by better roads, trains and train lines.

China...well if they want to stop destroying the planet then they are welcome to do it. I don't trust them at all and stories showing what they're well means little when they are responsible for a FULL THIRD of CO2 emissions.

Seriously. The rest of the world is irrelevant compared to China. I believe we'd merely need to cut global emissions by 5% and we'd be on the way to fixing the issue.

Then this is on them and them alone, not on the US. If they fix the mess they've caused in the first place I'll be happy.
    they have over 4x the population of the US.
    if the US had that many people in it it would cause way more then a third.

most recent data i can find for 2016 says china 28% with 1400m people, US 16% with 318m people.

so yeah.... US seems to be a lot worse per capita.

Hopefully he pulls us out of the UN next, fuck them too.

If it rises at all.

I like the huge change of topic there. You asked while Al Gore bought a "beachfront property" that he "knows will be flooded". But according to the best predictions, it won't be.

And besides. Who cares what Al Gore thinks or does?

Quote Originally Posted by Waniou View Post
    And besides. Who cares what Al Gore thinks or does?
    So many liberals that it's ridiculous. But let's not let all the shit Al Gore gets away with harming the environment allow us to cloud our judgement of him.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    So many liberals that it's ridiculous. But let's not let all the shit Al Gore gets away with harming the environment allow us to cloud our judgement of him.
    I hear far, far more conservatives bringing him up than supporters of climate science. The guy got a ton of stuff wrong in Inconvenient Truth, is not a climate scientist and his opinion is pretty much worthless.