Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    We know how to lower the global temperature. Spray sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere. Doesn't even cost much, estimates are a few million a year globally. Of course, it has nasty side effects... but since it's cheap and easy, it's what I expect us to ultimately do.
    The side effects of acid rain and reduced sunlight (affecting plants and algae) would be fun to watch
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    The side effects of acid rain and reduced sunlight (affecting plants and algae) would be fun to watch
    For a relative definition of "fun" I guess. But as a global warming "fix" it's fairly well thought out (wiki). Not what I would WANT to happen, but as I said, cheap and easy so odds are i's what we'll do. Wouldn't even be surprised if the US did it without consent from the rest of the planet.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

For a relative definition of "fun" I guess. But as a global warming "fix" it's fairly well thought out (wiki). Not what I would WANT to happen, but as I said, cheap and easy so odds are i's what we'll do. Wouldn't even be surprised if the US did it without consent from the rest of the planet.
    Yeah, that was a sarcastic version of fun. The other alternative is to put a fuckton of space mirrors (aimed outwardly)... they can be made from tinfoil

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that was a sarcastic version of fun. The other alternative is to put a fuckton of space mirrors (aimed outwardly)... they can be made from tinfoil
    And would cost millions, themselves, while again harming plant growth and causing serious climate shifts due to changes in evaporation/precipitation patterns.

There's also talk of using certain plants (mostly ferns) which have really high carbon recapture rates in big farms in locations like the Canadian North, where there's not much plant life anyway (but we can get around that with greenhousing) and they don't require much support nor harvest to manage (the goal is just to maintain healthy plants, that's it). But while that's relatively low-impact to the rest of the environment, it's also costly and the recapture process would be slow.

There aren't any easy/cheap solutions. That's the problem. And it's not likely something we'll "fix" with just one option.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And would cost millions, themselves, while again harming plant growth and causing serious climate shifts due to changes in evaporation/precipitation patterns.

There's also talk of using certain plants (mostly ferns) which have really high carbon recapture rates in big farms in locations like the Canadian North, where there's not much plant life anyway (but we can get around that with greenhousing) and they don't require much support nor harvest to manage (the goal is just to maintain healthy plants, that's it). But while that's relatively low-impact to the rest of the environment, it's also costly and the recapture process would be slow.

There aren't any easy/cheap solutions. That's the problem. And it's not likely something we'll "fix" with just one option.
    Endus i know that. Most of the fixes or solutions are "heroic treatments" (treatments that can save the life but at a heavy cost).
    Another solution that i've read about is to drop iron on the antarctic sea, to make a big bloom, capturing fucktons of CO2

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    For all the pro polluters, why don't you start living in filth in your own home first and see how you like that. Then maybe, just maybe you will understand why we should clean up after ourselves on a larger scale.
    There is this thing called balance. I'm all for recycling, more nuclear power, and working on solar. We should not dump raw sewage into lakes or oceans. There is no reason certain items need so much packaging that gets thrown away.

However, when you come after V8s we have a problem. Engines are so much cleaner then they were 40 years ago, it's time for economic clowns to back off. If I want to pay for the gas for a powerful V8, V10, V12 etc I should have that right, it's a small % of cars.

Also, coal and natural gas are much cleaner then they were. Again, balance and fairness. You can't get rid of everything that puts a little dirt in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    There is this thing called balance. I'm all for recycling, more nuclear power, and working on solar. We should not dump raw sewage into lakes or oceans. There is no reason certain items need so much packaging that gets thrown away.

However, when you come after V8s we have a problem. Engines are so much cleaner then they were 40 years ago, it's time for economic clowns to back off. If I want to pay for the gas for a powerful V8, V10, V12 etc I should have that right, it's a small % of cars.

Also, coal and natural gas are much cleaner then they were. Again, balance and fairness. You can't get rid of everything that puts a little dirt in the air.
    You know that all of these changes were made because of gas prices/enviromental regulations?
    And stsly, if you wanna contaminate more, fine. But you should pay a tax in order to do that

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    This news made my day. Trump will be pulling us out of the Draconian Paris Accord real soon. We will now be able to reverse course and not be stuck all driving tiny ugly electric and hybrid vehicles in 5 years. and we can start bringing back more higher paying jobs
    Higher paying jobs won't help against rising oceans and stronger hurricanes.

There are currently 14 CCS projects worldwide. Two in North America. Boundary Dam in Canada, and the Southern Company’s Kemper Energy Facility which is currently in big trouble.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/05/s...ippi.html?_r=0

Ultimately, for CCS to be commercially viable, it will need either a major subsidy or for natural gas price to increase (a lot).

Fortunately China mentioned that if Trump does that they will take the stake and therefore maybe the Agreement will not collapse.
    If it happens, I will be proud that I work at a Chinese owned company. They are much smarter than this brainless Trump and his also brainless "yay, we will end the whole world with oil and coal" supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Gas is cheap and A LOT of Americans especially in the South are extremely short sited. Trust me I live down here and barely anyone I know saves money and blows all their cash on food, alcohol or weed. Noone thinks ahead because they think gas will always be cheap.
    I doubt the few people that you "know" can hardly put a dent in how the most of the southern populace handles their money.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    I doubt the few people that you "know" can hardly put a dent in how the most of the southern populace handles their money.
    How about the fact that southern states are poorer overall compared to the rest of the nation?
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    How about the fact that southern states are poorer overall compared to the rest of the nation?
    And are massively in debt... aand are on welfare

And are massively in debt... aand are on welfare
    The party of less debt and more personal responsibility showing us how conservatives can adhere to the same standards they apply to liberals.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

We know how to lower the global temperature. Spray sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere. Doesn't even cost much, estimates are a few million a year globally. Of course, it has nasty side effects... but since it's cheap and easy, it's what I expect us to ultimately do.
    Okay, so let's ignore all concern because we can hack a cheap fix later that has side effects just as bad as climate change could have. Or worse. That... totally sounds idiotic. I'm sorry.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Okay, so let's ignore all concern because we can hack a cheap fix later that has side effects just as bad as climate change could have. Or worse. That... totally sounds idiotic. I'm sorry.
    You're reading it wrong, I'm saying that we WILL ignore all concern and do nothing, until it's too late to do anything but something as drastic as what I listed. Too large a portion of our country is into science denying for us to get ahead of the problem.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Dude. Nobody is taking away your V8. How about we focus on factories and other things first? The manufacturing industries are already doing a shitton of good things, but they can do better. And we can look at packaging, like you said. Or perhaps look at renewable energy instead of coal power plants. It's not like climate change people want to get rid of cars. Far from it. Their main focus right now is to spread renewable energies and develop them into something that actually is cheaper and more efficient than at least fossil fuels.

The upside of that is... more fuel for your V8. And I'll predict you will change your mind about Hybrids, too. Car companies are moving away from petrol only towards hybrid cars. And automated cars like Tessla or the Google vehicle are going for a full electric solution. All of this doesn't mean you have to give up your V8 dream. But you are the exception petrolhead. And the vast majority of people just want to get from A to B. If they change their mind and opt for hybrid or electric cars within the next 50 years, heck, that's more than enough to account for your V8.

- - - Updated - - -

You're reading it wrong, I'm saying that we WILL ignore all concern and do nothing, until it's too late to do anything but something as drastic as what I listed. Too large a portion of our country is into science denying for us to get ahead of the problem.
    I don't believe a good cause is lost just because a large portion of the people ignores it. If the other half of the people tries to do better, they will change minds. And if they don't, we've still accomplished much.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Unfortunately many of the people against things like the climate accord are not for balance. Anything that might effect their ability to do anything they want whenever they want to just can't be right. Sure there are people on the other side of this that wants everybody to walk everywhere all the time and never leave any sort of a carbon imprint beyond our dead bodies. The anti polluters are often less extreme and don't ruin things for everybody else. Assholes like

are the real problem.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

More good news. I didn't originally support Trump but I'm liking him more every day.

Natural disasters due to man made climate change? The number of those is zero.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

You reminded me the scene in Idiocracy when people rioted because the guy put water on plants instead of energy drinks.