Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

By 2020 News and Fake News May Be Indistinguishable...

In the light of recent events, and recent non-events and the rise of fake news and alternative facts, technology has gradually been improving in the area of actually making the distinction very difficult to detect.

Two separate projects mentioned in the following video are starting to make real inroads into what used to be science fiction.

1. Face2Face: Real-time Face Capture and Reenactment of RGB Videos
    2. #VoCo: Allows you to change words in a voiceover simply by typing new words.

Together, these two tools currently in development would literally allow you to take video and audio of a well known (say politician, or activist or what ever) and make them say what ever you damn well pleased.

The tech isn't quite there yet, but experts in the field say this technology will be as available in 2020 as Photoshop with images is today.

So folks, get ready for a wild ride, there is an article here: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/...ews-technology

The two product names above can be distinctly searched and researched.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Not if i only listen to NPR and not get my news from twitter and fb
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Various tools for data verification will be invented and refined, but yes, this has been a long time coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    Various tools for data verification will be invented and refined, but yes, this has been a long time coming.
    Indeed, but at some point in the not too distant future - if the bitstreams are indistinguishable, then no after the fact verification will be possible.

What will more likely happen is new video and audio formats will include signing or similar allowing one to distinguish source if not veracity.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Deleted
    As faster we progress in technology, as more likely it becomes governments will be enabled to create fake realities in real time, showing no difference to real life sceneries.

At the end, the future could become an orwell dystopia, and we even couldnt detect it.

Only if we always double check news, and even then, there is always a chance we get fooled.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-02-03 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Only if we always double check news, and even then, there is always a chance we get fooled.
    It took me well over half an hour to even reach the point where I was 80% sure the story I linked was real... I'm so paranoid now about trying to figure it out, that more 'facts' are coming in that I could even verify to 80% if I did nothing else 24/7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering we're already at 5 fake news about Trump this week, I'd say we're already there!
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Considering we're already at 5 fake news about Trump this week, I'd say we're already there!
    Having fake news about Trump isn't an effect of evidence - it is more that the stuff Trump really does is just as stupid as the fake stuff People say he does.

However - being able to create a video of Trump declaring war on Iran - which is indistinguishable from reality, now that's VERY nasty indeed.

And the more we enable it, the worse it gets (or the quicker we reach to the inevitable point).

In recent news:

Superman murders Iron-man!

You're decades behind the times my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by angrys13 View Post
    How so, given the technology is only just becoming reality ?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    In the light of recent events, and recent non-events and the rise of fake news and alternative facts, technology has gradually been improving in the area of actually making the distinction very difficult to detect.

Two separate projects mentioned in the following video are starting to make real inroads into what used to be science fiction.

1. Face2Face: Real-time Face Capture and Reenactment of RGB Videos
    2. #VoCo: Allows you to change words in a voiceover simply by typing new words.

Together, these two tools currently in development would literally allow you to take video and audio of a well known (say politician, or activist or what ever) and make them say what ever you damn well pleased.

The tech isn't quite there yet, but experts in the field say this technology will be as available in 2020 as Photoshop with images is today.

So folks, get ready for a wild ride, there is an article here: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/...ews-technology

The two product names above can be distinctly searched and researched.
    That is truly frightening. When 2+2=5 we are all truly fucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Having fake news about Trump isn't an effect of evidence - it is more that the stuff Trump really does is just as stupid as the fake stuff People say he does.

However - being able to create a video of Trump declaring war on Iran - which is indistinguishable from reality, now that's VERY nasty indeed.
    I think people believe it because they want to. A lot of assumptions made about Trump are simply related to political bias in the first place.

But video and audio tampering is not just bad in terms of politics. Reputation of several individuals could get broken in a few clicks.

We would officially be in the post-information era.
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Isn't the stance of Trump supporters that all bad news about him are fake and only the good ones are true?

Quote Originally Posted by angrys13 View Post
    In recent news:

Superman murders Iron-man!

"Superman defends himself against crazed, money-hungry possibly-nuclear-charged Robot menace."
    vs
    "The universe is now poorer after self made men-hating Jockey steals Iron-Young Adult's life in cold blood."

Reputation of several individuals could get broken in a few clicks.
    Something Trump would be immune to... real scandal can't touch him fake scandal won't either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    "Superman defends himself against crazed, money-hungry possibly-nuclear-charged Robot menace."
    vs
    "The universe is now poorer after self made men-hating Jockey steals Iron-Young Adult's life in cold blood."
    Ironman's fortune led him to power: Superman weights in.

"The day when we allow money to buy superpower is the day where we say to gifted mutants: "Well, that's cool, but we don't care about you or your culture". The racism, the anti-gift mentality is breaking our world and people like Ironman and even Batman, who wears a full black suit no less, rise to power. The alt-heroes is a scourge, very similar to the alt-right and nazis of before and we, as super-heroes, need to defend our culture. " #ImWithHeroes #MyRightfulPower #DeathToAltHeroes

Protests broke out yesterday after Tony Stark said that being a hero is not an innate right. He was quickly rebuffed by Superwoman and Peter Parker, before having Superman weighting in today. The most common criticism seems to be his hypocrisy of buying powers, whereas humans shouldn't be allowed to buy their way to godhood.

More to come on CNN, the Cyborg National Network.
    Google Diversity Memo

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how, really. I mean okay "fake news" may be really well written, but much like Kellyanne Conway citing a fake massacre, it's really no more complicated than, I suppose at worst, calling the locals and asking if it actually happened.

Sure, might be hard to verify when they're talking about events in other countries, but really, "fake news" tends to be distinguished by the fact that it didn't happen.

On top of that, even if you could edit video to make a video look legit, there's still the fact that Bob who was in the video can speak up, and even sue you for doing just that.

Fake news only survives as long as people don't challenge it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Err why 2020? What makes you think you can distinguish them now?
    Everything breaks down to the credibility (or the credibility you have) of the source. You can be presented with pure facts, and the numbers don't even have to be wrong, but by omitting parts you can come to a completely different conclusion.

We live in an age where we have more information at our fingertips than ever before, and the information is close to worthless because we can no longer agree on the validity of the information given.

Technical updates like video editing is just the icing on the cake.

Ironman's fortune led him to power: Superman weights in.

"The day when we allow money to buy superpower is the day where we say to gifted mutants: "Well, that's cool, but we don't care about you or your culture". The racism, the anti-gift mentality is breaking our world and people like Ironman and even Batman, who wears a full black suit no less, rise to power. The alt-heroes is a scourge, very similar to the alt-right and nazis of before and we, as super-heroes, need to defend our culture. " #ImWithHeroes #MyRightfulPower #DeathToAltHeroes

Protests broke out yesterday after Tony Stark said that being a hero is not an innate right. He was quickly rebuffed by Superwoman and Peter Parker, before having Superman weighting in today. The most common criticism seems to be his hypocrisy of buying powers, whereas humans shouldn't be allowed to buy their way to godhood.

More to come on CNN, the Cyborg National Network.
    I would sign up to CNN newsletter.