After your opening statement the rest of your post was TLDR. The point is far over your head.

Nintendo can not afford to maintain as many development studios as they do, nor develop games with the same freedom that they do if they where 3rd party. The fact you're bringing up fucking Mario of all thinks shows your ignorance on the matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    After your opening statement the rest of your post was TLDR. The point is far over your head.

Nintendo can not afford to maintain as many development studios as they do, nor develop games with the same freedom that they do if they where 3rd party. The fact you're bringing up fucking Mario of all thinks shows your ignorance on the matter.
    Once again baseless claims and instead of proving your points you use insults and condescension. If you wanna have an actual discussion then I'm here.

Also how would the PS4 and Xbox One hinder Nintendo's development? Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, 3D Mario games, LoZ, Splatoon, Metroid Prime, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Donkey Kong could all be developed without having to make any significant design changes. Sure, the loss of Gyro controls for Splatoon would suck and the lack of a second screen to assist menu navigation in Pokemon would be unfortunate but the spirit of those games would survive.

I could keep going but until you prove that you're actually interested in an actual conversation and not just hearing yourself speak, I'm not gonna waste my breath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    What your saying makes absolutely no sense. What exactly about Nintendo makes their games impossible to develop for the PS4 and Xbox One? Other than the Wii, games like 3D World and Breath of the Wild could absolutely be on the PS4 and not have to sacrifice anything except maybe the gyro controls, but if you think the game would be shit without it then you're crazy. Even with the Wii, while the motion controls on Super Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword weren't bad, the games would've been just fine without them. Hell, Skyward Sword would probably be better for it.

I see this argument come up all the time when people talk about Nintendo going third party and it just doesn't have any ground to stand on. If Nintendo offered to make games for Sony and Microsoft those two would just nod their heads and stay the fuck out of their way. They'd be stupid not to.

Also, if their hardware endeavors keep failing what do you think they're going to do? Get out of games entirely? Of course fucking not. They're going to go third party. They'd make a killing as third party devs. But I know that myself and obviously many other gamers looking at Wii U sales are tired of buying Nintendo's consoles just to play Nintendo's games. Especially when you compare them to a console dev like Sony that is constantly pumping out new IP every generation from its devs whilst Nintendo only pumped out one and it wasn't even a game that added some variety to their portfolio. It was still a cartoony game that focuses on gameplay over story.

With that being said, I do think the Switch has a gimmick that I can get behind and as a gamer I find useful. Plus, if they combine their console and handheld developers I think they'll have an incredibly solid library of games that will allow me to get some actual mileage out of the console. Handhelds has always been Nintendo's strong suit. I think they either need to focus on that or just go third party. But I've said this multiple times at this point.
    I agree fully.

Once again baseless claims and instead of proving your points you use insults and condescension. If you wanna have an actual discussion then I'm here.

Also how would the PS4 and Xbox One hinder Nintendo's development? Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, 3D Mario games, LoZ, Splatoon, Metroid Prime, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Donkey Kong could all be developed without having to make any significant design changes. Sure, the loss of Gyro controls for Splatoon would suck and the lack of a second screen to assist menu navigation in Pokemon would be unfortunate but the spirit of those games would survive.

I could keep going but until you prove that you're actually interested in an actual conversation and not just hearing yourself speak, I'm not gonna waste my breath.
    Baseless claims?

We already seen it happen with Sega.

What happened when Sega went 3rd party? They finished the projects they had in development for dreamcast for other consoles. They then liquidated the majority of their studios and very rarely do you ever see experimental games from Sega anymore. Games like Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Seaman, Nights, Sega maintaining their own sports division, should I go on? What do you get from Sega now? Miku? Yakuza? Sonic? The first 2 you're lucky if you get within a year of the japanese release at that.

You can not afford to maintain 20 development teams when they aren't also helping you with R&D for hardware and developing software to sell said hardware. Nintendo has more development teams then EA, Activision and Ubisoft do combined. Wrap your head around the facts and get back to me... the only publisher even close to Nintendo in this regard is Sony... another hardware manufacturer SHOCKING(sarcasm if the caps didn't do it for you).

When you become 3rd party it becomes a simple task of will this game make a profit? If they think so green light if not it meets the trash can. The fact you STILL even after I called you on it went back to rehashing big bame games like Mario or Smash again shows you don't even understand what you're talking about on this matter. No shit Mario would still get made, but does Splatoon ever get green lit in the first place if Nintendo is a 3rd party? How about them funding games like Bayonetta 2, TMS and Wonderful 101? How about then letting Monolith Software make large open world JRPGs that don't even sell a million copies usually?

Do I need to go on or has the point stopped flying over your head and reached the brain yet?

3rd parties don't take risks, 3rd parties can't take risks. A 3rd party game flop immediately impacts the bottom line. A first party game flop can be wrote off as something trying to sell hardware and R&D for said hardware.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-02-05 at 11:43 PM.

pikmin would definitely die if tendo went third party.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Baseless claims?

What happened when Sega went 3rd party? They finished the projects they had in development for dreamcast for other consoles. They then liquidated the majority of their studios and very rarely do you ever see experimental games from Sega anymore. Games like Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Seaman, Nights, Sega maintaining their own sports division, should I go on? What do you get from Sega now? Miku? Yakuza? Sonic? The first 2 you're lucky if you get within a year of the japanese release at that.

You can not afford to maintain 20 development teams when they aren't also helping you with R&D for hardware and developing software to sell said hardware. Nintendo has more development teams then EA, Activision and Ubisoft do combined. Wrap your head around the facts and get back to me... the only publisher even close to Nintendo in this regard is Sony... another hardware manufacturer SHOCKING(sarcasm if the caps didn't do it for you).

When you become 3rd party it becomes a simple task of will this game make a profit? If they think so green light if not it meets the trash can. The fact you STILL even after I called you on it went back to rehashing big bame games like Mario or Smash again shows you don't even understand what you're talking about on this matter. No shit Mario would still get made, but does Splatoon ever get green lit in the first place if Nintendo is a 3rd party? How about them funding games like Bayonetta 2, TMS and Wonderful 101? How about then letting Monolith Software make large open world JRPGs that don't even sell a million copies usually?

Do I need to go on or has the point stopped flying over your head and reached the brain yet?

3rd parties don't take risks, 3rd parties can't take risks. A 3rd party game flop immediately impacts the bottom line. A first party game flop can be wrote off as something trying to sell hardware and R&D for said hardware.
    I'm not one to applaud posts but bravo. Well said. I'd venture even some of the fringe mario shit wouldn't get the green light.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    pikmin would definitely die if tendo went third party.
    As would shit like chibi robo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Baseless claims?

Once again Tech speculates on things and presents them as facts. Some of what you're saying is valid and some of it isn't. First of all, the Sega comparison is not very apt. It was 20 years ago and the gaming landscape has changed significantly. Things like Kickstarter and the indie game market exist now which didn't exist back then, which is relevant considering Shenmue is returning due to Kickstarter. Also, Nintendo is in a far better place financially than Sega was. Nintendo also has far more beloved franchises than Sega does as well.

Keep in mind that the argument wasn't should they, it was could they. I think a Nintendo that focuses both its handheld and console devs on one console is worthwhile have around. So if they accomplish that with the Switch then I would love for them to stick around. What you originally said is that Nintendo wouldn't be able to become 3rd party. You're crazy if you think that if they abandon being a console manufacturer that they'll just stop making games when they have so many successful franchises under their belt that they can still make millions off of.

I am fully aware that if Nintendo goes 3rd party that they'll be unable to develop or publish some of their less successful franchises. But the reality is that those smaller franchises aren't integral to the identity of Nintendo. When you say Nintendo, you don't think of Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2. You think of Mario, LoZ, or Donkey Kong. It would certainly be unfortunate, although Sony has proven that they are willing to publish those games so I think they'd still have a home, which is why I want Nintendo to be successful. But if Nintendo is unable to find success then I'd rather them stop making useless consoles and just stick to what they're good at which is games.

I want to reiterate again that I actually find the Switch to be a really interesting idea and I think it could finally be the niche that Nintendo can fill. A console/handheld hybrid with the full force of Nintendo's development teams behind it would be great even if it is highly unlikely that it'll garner any significant third party support.

It would be very ironic if one day the company that dicked over sony so hard they made a console was forced to put games on it
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    It would be very ironic if one day the company that dicked over sony so hard they made a console was forced to put games on it
    Personally I always felt if Nintendo did go third part they would go exclusively to Sony.

That would be ironic tho.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Personally I always felt if Nintendo did go third part they would go exclusively to Sony.

They would go exclusively to mobile with timed IOS exclusives actually. That is where actual money is, not the paper market that is AAA gaming that Nintendo seems to want to be far removed from.

- - - Updated - - -

Once again Tech speculates on things and presents them as facts.
    Actually I presented facts, you're the person herpa derpin about thinking Nintendo can be Nintendo without being able to take risks. It's not even about less successful games, it's about Nintendo's software output probably being cut to 1/3rd of it's current state.

10+ Year Old Account
    They would go exclusively to mobile with timed IOS exclusives actually. That is where actual money is, not the paper market that is AAA gaming that Nintendo seems to want to be far removed from.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I presented facts, you're the person herpa derpin about thinking Nintendo can be Nintendo without being able to take risks. It's not even about less successful games, it's about Nintendo's software output probably being cut to 1/3rd of it's current state.
    No you're just too arrogant to see that you're speculating. The only facts you stated are that Sega shut down their console business (which as I stated isn't an apt comparison due to the difference in Sega and Nintendo's circumstances as well as the games industry being in a different place now that it was then) and that third party developers only care about if a game is profitable (and even that isn't always true. Take EA with Mirror's Edge for instance. They made that game because fans wanted it and they wanted to improve their image even if they knew it wouldn't be a big success (and it wasn't)).

You don't know which IPs will be abandoned and you don't know if they would be abandoned regardless of whether or not Nintendo went third party. You're just speculating. You say they will go down to 1/3rd of their software output but you can't actually back that up with hard facts. You're just speculating. You say that Nintendo will drop out of AAA gaming and go fully mobile. You can't prove that, you're just speculating. There are facts and then there are likelihoods. It is likely that Nintendo will put a Pokemon game on the Switch, but it is not a fact. Perhaps one day that fact will stop going over your head.

I have absolutely no issue with speculation. I find it quite fun myself. But I do have a problem with you constantly presenting your speculation as anything other than that, speculation.

- - - Updated - - -

That would be the nail in Microsoft's coffin. I doubt they would let that happen unless Nintendo didn't even give them the opportunity.

That would be the nail in Microsoft's coffin. I doubt they would let that happen unless Nintendo didn't even give them the opportunity.
    Microsoft wouldn't be able to stop it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I want to see Nintendo continue to make consoles. I don't see myself buying another PS console and I will be passing on any console Microsoft makes (XBox and two 360s broke).

Nintendo would go Sony over Microsoft due to the fact Nintendo truly cares about their playerbase in Japan. How well did the XBox One sell there compared to the PS4? Yeah...

Nintendo will always make consoles. Even if they stop making their usual ones, they will continue dominate the Handheld realm for the foreseeable future.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Deleted
    I think nintendo should sell their games for multiple platforms.

And get rid of their scary new hardware. I dont believe the switch will be very successfull considering the fact it only will have a few games at start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Microsoft wouldn't be able to stop it.
    I mean if Nintendo was actually going to be exclusive to one of the other console devs, then they'd go to both of them and basically sell to the highest bidder. They'd be stupid not to.

I think all of you should stop talking about underpowered gimmicky consoles and SWITCH to PC.
    #PCgamingmasterrace

Please post productively. Infracted. -Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If Nintendo started producing games exclusively it would take one hell of an exclusive deal to keep them off both systems(if not computers as well). Typically exclusivity deals are for individual titles. And even with those many are just delayed release on the other system or exclusive "content".
    Same way I see it. They'd be pretty stupid to not try to get their products to as many people as possible. But alas, as long as people buy overpriced controllers, so long the current nintendo buisnesmodel isn't in much danger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Same way I see it. They'd be pretty stupid to not try to get their products to as many people as possible. But alas, as long as people buy overpriced controllers, so long the current nintendo buisnesmodel isn't in much danger.
    Speaking of which, would it be possible to have third party joycons?

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Speaking of which, would it be possible to have third party joycons?
    Chinese knockoffs will be in production the second they get their hands on the switch.

If you mean actual licensed 3rd party shit... not a chance in hell. Other options to the pro controller may be licensed out to Hori, but they won't do it for joycons. Much like how with the Wii Nintendo licensed 3rd party traditional controller but didn't officially license any Wii Remotes or Nun Chuks.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-02-07 at 01:14 AM.