Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

Angry Burlesque dancer fat-shamed online tracks down teen, calls his dad and principle

Good for her

Some guys like them on the heavy side.

Imagine trying to explain your behavior to mom.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ment-1.3968800

Jessica Davey-Quantick, a*burlesque dancer and University of King's College graduate, received abusive*messages after she posted pictures of herself*from a recent photo shoot — insults about her weight, demands that she kill herself.
    So the Yellowknife resident hit back. *
    Nova Scotia MLAs speak out about fat-shaming, death threats and homophobia
    She and her burlesque buddies — Davey-Quantick calls them her Glitter Army —*did a little online sleuthing and discovered the alleged 15-year-old abuser's*Facebook page, his father and his school in London, England. As she told CBC's*Mainstreet in Halifax, she emailed the father and the school's headmaster to set things right.
    The business journalist said*her story shows the need to fight back against internet trolls so that people can use the public online space free of fear or shame.*
    'Obesity kills'
    "I am over the idea that we have to somehow have to protect the individuals [involved]," she said.
    Her story begins with a burlesque show in Yellowknife in late January that attracted 600 people over five performances. Davey-Quantick posted a photo from the show as well as a related boudoir-style photo.
    Baring it all in a Northern town: Yellowknife's Brrrlesque going strong in 7th year
    She received the typical supportive comments from friends and performers, but on Wednesday afternoon she saw a post from somebody she didn't know that said,*"Obesity kills."
    Davey-Quantick*said when she gets inappropriate comments or photos she typically highlights it publicly. Usually,*the person retreats, often apologizing profusely. But this poster didn't.
    'We're giving them the power'
    On Thursday she woke up to dozens of comments on photos dating back as far as*October, telling her she was a whale and disgusting and unlovable. "He ended it by posting that I should slit my own wrists and eat my own blubber," she said. Other people had joined in with the insults.
    Friends of Davey-Quantick's*helped her find the initial poster's*father*and his*headmaster.

Jessica Davey-Quantick received abusive comments about her weight on Instagram, so she fought back. (thejessdq/Instagram)
    She said the boy's father was initially apologetic, but later*said his son wasn't involved and that*she and her friends should be ashamed for going after his son. He finished by saying that she should keep her Instagram account locked to avoid abuse.
    "That's the advice you always get to internet bullying.... Turn the other cheek.*Don't respond. Ignore it. Turn off the computer. Delete your account. Or keep your account private. Or don't post those things.
    "I can definitely tell people are going to say, well, I shouldn't have posted a burlesque photo if I didn't want this kind of commentary. And for me that's troubling. Because what we're doing then is we're ceding public spaces to trolls.
    "We're giving over public autonomy and the ability to be in a public space to other people. We're giving them the power."
    'It's dangerous'
    Davey-Quantick said she posted the father's business email to her Facebook*page*— a decision she said was "tricky" because attacking somebody by releasing their private information is a real problem. She said she decided to post his work email because it was already public and she wanted her friends to have an avenue for response because the trolls had begun attacking them, too.*
    The headmaster, meanwhile, asked her to forward screenshots of the insults to the school's head of discipline, which she did.
    "They were appalled that any of their students could be involved," Davey-Quantick said.
    What to do when you're harassed online: Tips from people who have experienced it
    Suspension, and an apology
    She then received a message from the teen that he and his friends had been suspended and their phones had been taken away.*
    "More importantly, he was so apologetic. And I got this email from him basically telling me he is so ashamed of himself. He is so ashamed that he has done this to his parents, to his friends, that he doesn't do this normally, and that he's learned his lesson."
    Davey-Quantick*said she will continue to respond strongly to trolls because it's about more than*Instagram insults. She said it's about not feeling afraid or ashamed to use a public space, and to live life as people*see fit.
    "What happens when he tells a 15-year-old girl to kill herself?" she said.
    "What happens when he tells somebody that they're disgusting?*What is the end result of that? Is that going to lead to somebody in the bathroom putting their fingers down their throat? Is that going to lead to someone committing suicide? It's dangerous."
    'Glittery wave of retribution'
    She said she hopes the kid has learned his lesson, "if for nothing else, the army of feminist flying monkeys who descended upon him like a glittery wave of retribution."
    'It was deeply frightening': Federal strategy will aim to fight cyber violence against women
    "We have to start opening up, because these people who do it generally have private pages and you can't imagine them sitting down at dinner with their parents and their spouses or their girlfriends and saying, 'Well, what did you do today honey?'*'Well, today I told someone to kill themselves on the internet. Pass the peas, please.' So we need to take it to their world. We need to make it something they have to own. Not just us.
    "I'm probably going to keep getting [abusive messages], and I'm probably going to keep posting and I'm probably going to keep finding their mothers." * * *

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Poor kid, that's gross, when you see vomit you comment on how disgusting it is

I'd fat shame her too.

Her body is unhealthy and she should be actively working to change it.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Thumbs down Got what was coming to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    She said she hopes the kid has learned his lesson, "if for nothing else, the army of feminist flying monkeys who descended upon him like a glittery wave of retribution."
    So she's turning this into a man vs woman thing, and you wonder why feminists are being labeled the polar opposite to misogynists.

This isn't a man vs woman thing, this is someone calling out an addiction problem.

If you are addicted to drugs, there's a program for that.

If you are addicted to smoking, there's a program for that.

If you are addicted to alcohol, there's a program for that.

And yes, if you're addicted to food, there's a program for that.

All of the above is unhealthy, but as far as I'm concerned, as long as they're not affecting anyone else or shoving it in their faces, let them kill themselves with their addiction to drugs, smoking, alcohol or food.

In this case, she put it out publicly shoving it in other people's faces, so she should have expected public feedback. If you don't want to hear other people's comments, don't put it in a place that you will hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv_ View Post
    I'd fat shame her too.

Her body is unhealthy and she should be actively working to change it.
    Sure, I totally believe you are worried about her health...

Let's be honest, she could get as fat as a walrus and nobody would bat an eye.

Tired of this "worried about his/her health" thing.

To all the feminists probably calling her beautiful and telling men they are animals for not finding her attractive.

lol epic dad, done what i would if my son was doing the same, except i'd tell him to stop trolling fat people and do something useful, but i'd defo tell the whale to fuck off, like sure she's gross but spending my time to tell her she's gross and kill herself no thanks. 15 year old boys should be masterbating 6 hours a day, not trolling whales.

I think we can all agree she's fat. It's good she was able to call his father and principal so that they could warn her about the dangers of an unhealthy lifestyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Does she have a neck?

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    lol epic dad, done what i would if my son was doing the same, except i'd tell him to stop trolling fat people and do something useful, but i'd defo tell the whale to fuck off, like sure she's gross but spending my time to tell her she's gross and kill herself no thanks. 15 year old boys should be masterbating 6 hours a day, not trolling whales.
    I would have said not to harpoon a whale unless you have the boat to take it to shore.

Shrug. A lot of trolls seem young, not surprised she was trolled by a kid. Doesn't even matter what you look like, tbh. Saw someone shitposting about Sophie Turner today.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicrusader View Post
    Sure, I totally believe you are worried about her health...

Let's be honest, she could get as fat as a walrus and nobody would bat an eye.

Tired of this "worried about his/her health" thing.
    Health is a legitimate concern, when you get to be a certain size (well into obesity) one tends to be prone to health issues due to weight. High blood pressure, type II diabetes, etc.

NOW, if people are only commenting about fat people while giving thin people a pass for their shitty diets, then that is quite hypocritical.

A better title would be -

"Attention seeker seeks attention for her body.. realises you can be an emotional attention seeker too, becomes an emotional attention seeker as well"

Instead of going after little kids that hurt her feelings, she should talk about how Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is a real problem. Look at that fucking face.

Oh boy is the internet gonna have fun with this one!!

I can already see the blood in the water and the tail fins of professional trolls incoming.

Until the day all folks are attracted to Jaba the Hutt, they shall show no mercy!
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny the safe space thing got posted already. But the kid should have his own safe space to throw out insults to this lady? Typical hypocrisy. I support tracking down shitheads. I would like to see his photo so we could all comment about his looks.

I'm sure we could find something to criticize.

Meanwhile Lady Gaga got harassed about needing to lose weight after the halftime show....

--SNIP--

Don't post spam
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-02-07 at 07:06 PM.

Deleted
    --SNIP--

Don't post spam
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-02-07 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    It's funny the safe space thing got posted already. But the kid should have his own safe space to throw out insults to this lady? Typical hypocrisy. I support tracking down shitheads. I would like to see his photo so we could all comment about his looks.
    Woman puts photo out clearly looking attention and opinions.

Doesn't like the comments.

Hunts down child, i doubt she went after the grown adults saying the same thing. Those people probably wouldn't of taken too kindly to someone sniffing around their personal life

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Woman puts photo out clearly looking attention and opinions.

Doesn't like the comments.

Hunts down child, i doubt she went after the grown adults saying the same thing. Those people probably wouldn't of taken too kindly to someone sniffing around their personal life
    O yeah those super badasses hiding in their safe space lobbing insults at some lady they don't know. I'm sure they're just terrifying people in real life. Fucking gangsters.