Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lumber 84 commercial.

The Lumber 84 commercial is still going viral, three days after the Super Bowl. What's your opinion?

To me, the ad highlights the will and determination of individuals who immigrate to our country (whether legally or illegally). When we talk about immigration, I think this is an important part of the discussion that gets lost in the mix. Many people who immigrated here risked their own lives to cross into our borders; many people die crossing into the US. Many people do not realize how deeply people want to be a part of this country. Immigrants (both legal and illegal) are some of the most patriotic Americans you will ever meet.

To me, the door represents pathways to legal citizenship. Something that was discussed before immigration became such a polarized political topic. Becoming a US citizen is hard and if you are poor and uneducated, it is even more difficult.

Not sure why conservatives are so up in arms about it, the CEO is a Trump supporter and a supporter of the wall.

Hopefully it makes people think.

Deleted
    We've already discussed this

Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

I thought the little girl was going to weave a rope out of the scraps, fashion a hook and climb over the wall, I was disappointed.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I thought the little girl was going to weave a rope out of the scraps, fashion a hook and climb over the wall, I was disappointed.
    You're silly.

I actually teared up when she got out the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    You're silly.

I actually teared up when she got out the flag.
    Yeah it really tugs at the heartstrings, makes ya think we should just say 'fuck laws and shiet, I got the feels man.'

Then I think about last week when we watched a bunch of maniacs rioting in the streets, and I realized that we can't just say 'fuck laws'; because when you say 'fuck laws' what happens when instead of making you feel sympathy, something like a bunch of morons rioting makes you angry? Well then emotions lead to massacres and atrocities.

People who are truly fearful of losing their rights or seeing the rise of another Hitler, should not endorse the dark magic of emotional manipulation of the masses.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I almost cried in front of all my friends. And that last moment with the flag.. ugh I'm getting soft, specially with immigrants.

10+ Year Old Account
    it makes people think.
    Makes me think that this commercial has a poor message. Yes, I get it. Not all illegal immigrants are bad. But that does not mean you should run from your problems and put your problems on another country.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Yeah it really tugs at the heartstrings, makes ya think we should just say 'fuck laws and shiet, I got the feels man.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Makes me think that this commercial has a poor message. Yes, I get it. Not all illegal immigrants are bad. But that does not mean you should run from your problems and put your problems on another country.
    I don't think it's saying, "fuck laws and shit", I think it's saying we should open a door to legal citizenship for those who want it. Yes, we have a process for citizenship. It is a very hard process. If you're from a poor country, you are less likely to get approved.

What I honestly think we're going to find with a crackdown on illegal immigration is that we're going to find out how dependent we are as a country on the invisible class of illegals who work for less than minimum wage. There are millions of people in the US who work under the table as field laborers, back of house kitchen staff, hired servants, most of whom make less than minimum wage. I think that is the direction Trump should have taken with his message, instead of "illegal immigrants are murders and rapists". I have not seen any statistical data that backs up the claim that illegal immigrants break more laws than US citizens. They are also not eligible for social programs since they don't have a social security number.

The untold side of shutting out illegal immigration is that while it might raise wages in some industries, it will also increase costs of goods, so we'll be paying more for a wide variety of things, especially things like produce (even more so if we get into a trade war/implement tariffs).

Shrug. Tugs at the heartstrings, but I don't think it advocates lawlessness.

This looks very anti trump. The last thing the left wants is a wall. Cause immigrants mean more votes for them. If Hillary became president, the wall would of never even got mentioned and would never happen. There's so much crime cause so many illegals just cross the border every day its beyond ridiculous. If you want in just do it the legal way just like getting into any other country.

Quote Originally Posted by galvin View Post
    This looks very anti trump. The last thing the left wants is a wall. Cause immigrants mean more votes for them. If Hillary became president, the wall would of never even got mentioned and would never happen. There's so much crime cause so many illegals just cross the border every day its beyond ridiculous. If you want in just do it the legal way just like getting into any other country.
    Neither the left or right should want a wall, most illegal immigrants enter the US legally.

Deleted
    On topic I thought the ad was atrocious...

I'm no Trump fan but it was so laced with forced sentimental crap and self-righteousness not to mention pointless, WTF is the ad selling? What's Lumber 84

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

I'm no Trump fan but it was so laced with forced sentimental crap and self-righteousness not to mention pointless, WTF is the ad selling? What's Lumber 84
    It's a lumber company based in PA.

You shouldn't care. You should cry and applaud them for showing immigrants.

Neither the left or right should want a wall, most illegal immigrants enter the US legally.
    But aren't hundreds of thousands coming in illegally, not overstaying their visas? Isn't that an appreciable number?

Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    But aren't hundreds of thousands coming in illegally, not overstaying their visas? Isn't that an appreciable number?
    Not sure how accurate this source is, and there is some debate on the numbers since they are essentially estimates, but the available data seems to indicate that the numbers of people who arrived in the US by overstaying their visas has risen significantly, to 40 percent or more of all illegal immigrants. I would be surprised if the majority of them arrived by air. Maybe about half.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...ants-come-air/
    http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...on-in-the-u-s/

Last I heard there were 11 million illegal immigrants in the US, they're all economic refugees who've come to the US to make money. That's okay, but 11 million is too many, 1 million is okay.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    It's a lumber company based in PA.
    So what has Mexican immigrants coming to America got to do with lumber?

So what has Mexican immigrants coming to America got to do with lumber?
    Who do you think cuts the lumber?

Deleted
    Who do you think cuts the lumber?
    Americans, Mexicans, other ethnicities... Or is Lumber 84 an immigrant only workforce?

Perhaps I am a little cynical but I grew fed up of adverts having F all to do with products and political ads too regardless of the message