Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don't know(or care) about the accuracy of the science in Interstellar either way, but...I CAN say if you wanted me to sit through it again, you'd have to pay me a $20 minimum, get me pizza, a big burger, or a bucket of wings, and provide all necessary chips and beverages.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Remember, Neil didn't say it was wrong, he just said it was ambitious.
    And all I was stating was the fact that the movie went all visual, and not substance. It took science as a way to make pretty stuff, and not a way to make a great story.

The story ended up being fantasy, not science whilst the graphics and presentation was totally scientific.

So you ended up with an awesome spectacle, but a fairly lame story.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    And all I was stating was the fact that the movie went all visual, and not substance. It took science as a way to make pretty stuff, and not a way to make a great story.

The story ended up being fantasy, not science whilst the graphics and presentation was totally scientific.

So you ended up with an awesome spectacle, but a fairly lame story.
    It wasn't fantasy - that's what I've been trying to explain to you. It was originally written by an astrophysicist. It was all substance and included amazing visual effects because those are things you put in a good movie. The story was NOT fantasy - how you're not understanding that. The movie was based on, and used, the best science we know to date. But claiming it was "fantasy" when even your own source said that the movie got the science correct is a little silly. Link

Like I said, if you didn't like the movie, that's fine - but don't inaccurately bag on it just because you didn't like it. I respect that you didn't like it, I don't respect you making up stuff to justify your position. You can just not like it and not need any reasons.
    Last edited by cubby; 2017-02-09 at 06:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Gayniggers from Outer Space

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Well, no. It really didn't Neil deGrasse Tyson's summary was 'the science was ambitious'

They went for visuals over substance - and it worked, it was a visually stunning movie with a shallow and lame repetition of the same old story underneath.

Arrival - now there is a movie that tries to make the science forefront ... and pretty much suceeds.
    Curious that you mention Arrival. Couple questions on the science forefront. How does the alien ship totally negate Earth's gravitational field in favor of one within the Ship? How does Amy Adams make the jump of circle writing and the entire circle writing system from what they previous believed to be their names? How come Amy Adams is able to survive within the Alien environment?

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Aliens. I could watch that movie on repeat.
    Agree it's badass. Watched that one alot when I VHSed it back in the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ashamel View Post
    It is very good. You should try Ghosts... of the Civil Dead as well, by the same guy.
    I did, it was not what I expected but still pretty cool, and obviously made by the same fella. Ty for the heads up :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Ha ha, thought you were ban trolling, but it actually exists :-) How could I ever have missed it ?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmids View Post
    Agree it's badass. Watched that one alot when I VHSed it back in the day.
    Aliens is awesome - could definitely watch it over and over. The Abyss was also on that list - great flick, mildly cheesy ending though.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha ha, thought you were ban trolling, but it actually exists :-) How could I ever have missed it ?
    Lol, same here. Couldn't believe it was really a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Now with the link.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Lol, same here. Couldn't believe it was really a movie.

"The film follows a group of intergalactic homosexual black men from the planet Anus, who discover the presence of female creatures on planet Earth. Using rayguns, they proceed to eliminate females one by one from Earth, eliciting gratitude from the previously oppressed male population.[1] Before leaving the planet, they leave behind a "Gay Ambassador" to educate the Earthlings about their new way of life."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

7+ Year Old Account
    LOL I thought he was trolling as well but did a google search just in case. WTF!

The Shawshank Redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    "The film follows a group of intergalactic homosexual black men from the planet Anus, who discover the presence of female creatures on planet Earth. Using rayguns, they proceed to eliminate females one by one from Earth, eliciting gratitude from the previously oppressed male population.[1] Before leaving the planet, they leave behind a "Gay Ambassador" to educate the Earthlings about their new way of life."
    Find me a better synopsis than this. I dare you.

Lol all these people with all these old films then my young ass is like "LOTR or The Dark Knight".

I feel culturally lacking.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    A movie ahead of it's time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either The Labyrinth or The Dark Crystal.

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Altrec;44499166]I have 5 or six that would probably be on equal footing for all time favorites that I never get tired of.

Big Trouble In Little China
    The Princess Bride
    The Fifth Element
    Alien/Aliens
    The Last Starfighter
    The Illusionist

[QUOTE]

Some good ones here -- my pix:

The Princess Bride (comedic genius)
    Aliens/Terminator I/Matrix I
    My Cousin Vinny (for laughs), or go back to Blazing Saddles/Young Frankenstein for vintage stuff
    Lord of the Rings trilogy (for cinematic triumph)
    Big Clint Fan - The Good The Bad The Ugly, High Plains Drifter, Outlaw Josey Wales, some early Dirty Harry, The Enforcer

- - - Updated - - -

My pix:

The Princess Bride (comedic genius)
    Aliens/Terminator I/Matrix I
    My Cousin Vinny (for laughs), or go back to Blazing Saddles/Young Frankenstein for vintage stuff
    Lord of the Rings trilogy (for cinematic triumph)
    Big Clint Fan - The Good The Bad The Ugly, High Plains Drifter, Outlaw Josey Wales, some early Dirty Harry, The Enforcer
    Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suf-fer-ing. Yoda

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linri View Post

Probably one of the movies I never get tired of, and the soundtrack is awesome
    My man. ^ Fav movie too, the wife hatesssss it.

In no particular order:

BLUE VELVET
    THE BIG LEBOWSKI
    SIXTEEN CANDLES
    GUMMO
    L'ATALANTE
    NOTORIOUS
    FARGO
    THE LONG RIDERS
    BUFFALO 66
    SLING BLADE
    NAPOLEON DYNAMITE
    THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    PULP FICTION
    Last edited by Dinousek; 2017-02-11 at 01:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account