Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rubio a voice of reason.

Marco Rubio with a shocking about of sanity and good sense in this piece.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...aid-attention/

* “I don't know of a civilization in the history of the world that's been able to solve its problems when half the people in a country absolutely hate the other half of the people in that country.”

* “We are becoming a society incapable of having debate anymore.”

* “We are reaching a point in this republic where we are not going to be able to solve the simplest of issues because everyone is putting themselves in a corner where everyone hates everybody.”

* “What's at stake here tonight … is not simply some rule but the ability of the most important nation on earth to debate in a productive and respectful way the pressing issues before it.”
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

A bit dramatic and to patriotic, but yeah. He would have made a decent president. Or rather, the president to shame all presidents, if you compare him with Honey Booboo (orange edition).

And he's right, of course. Assuming these quotes are accurate.

I'm a cynic, I think he's looking towards another presidential run in 2020.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    He probably is. Just a refreshing point when you match it against anything that has happened in the last 2 or 3 months.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's worrying that the for some people, the only trustworthy guy is the one talking shit all the time. Decent people do exist, even among politicians.

I've gotta say, even as somebody who defends Trump a bit on these forums (I don't agree with every policy, and I don't disagree on every one either, I'm a centrist) Rubio would have been a perfect candidate for the Republican party to run, if you were talking about policies and demeanor. He's pretty inoffensive, is level headed and a well rounded individual. The only problem is he wouldn't have brought in as many votes as Trump, compared to Hillary.

And sadly, getting more votes is more important. What's even more important is getting said votes where they count.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    And he's right, of course. Assuming these quotes are accurate.
    They are. The link provided has a video of his speech, and he indeed said these things.

With that said, he has said some pretty ignorant-ass things as well.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    They are. The link provided has a video of his speech, and he indeed said these things.

With that said, he has said some pretty ignorant-ass things as well.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Just to clarify, I just wanted to say that I hadn't checked the sources. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Marco Rubio with a shocking about of sanity and good sense in this piece.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...aid-attention/
    Fuck Rubio. He had his chance to make a principled stand. He declared that Trump was too erratic to be trusted with nuke codes and then turned 180 and supported him for president. Evidently Hillary's education or climate policy is more risky than global thermonuclear war.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just the standard "can't we all agree to put our differences aside and work together, now that my side has won everything and is in charge." It's completely disingenuous.

Yes, Obama basically said the same thing. That was disingenuous too...until he actually made the even 6/6 budget committee to back what he said with action.

So, the very day Rubio backs this kind of talk up with actual action to reach across the aisle, I'll be 100% for it. Hell, he'll probably get McCain and Kasich to help. That'd be fucking fantastic. Till then, hot air.

Wow Marco Rubio making all sorts of sense again. And sounding all sorts of reasonable again.

Which is of course, exactly what Marco Rubio does, when it doesn't cost him anything. When he needs to take a stand, or stick his neck out though? Oh no. Rubio forgets every reasonable thing he's said.

Marco Rubio is a guy you *want* to like but has shown on occasion after occasion that he's a spineless weasel. His performance on the Daily Show a couple of years back was remarkable. There was a man who clearly knows most of the hard-right shit he's said over the years is bullshit, and not all that conservative (really, it's reactionary). But he can't just come out and say it even though he's basically exploding TO say it.

Call me when Marco denounces Donald Trump on the Senate floor or something, and then torpedoes his agenda in some big vote. Otherwise, it's more cheap platitudes by a reliable vendor of them.

half the people in a country absolutely hate the other half of the people in that country.
    The part that matters. This goes to everyone. Not just <group I disagree with>.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    He's telling you upfront what's going to take. It's not ninja looting. It's pirate looting! YAARRRR!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Scientists have yet to provide conclusive evidence that Marco Rubio is in fact a vertebrate.

No one should be taking his concern trolling seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Scientists have yet to provide conclusive evidence that Marco Rubio is in fact a vertebrate.

No one should be taking his concern trolling seriously.
    Yes, thats exactly what he's doing. You nailed it. Well said. @Skroe too.

Marco Rubio and Rand Paul were two of the candidates on the GoP side that I resonated with. Bernie was the only Democrat candidate that I liked. Even Jeb would have been a decent choice. Any of those men would have made great Presidents. Instead, my dipshit compatriots picked the worst two possible candidates. we fucking got what we deserved IMO. Next time, America, don't be so fucking stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Next time, America, don't be so fucking stupid.
    Based on our history, I'm torn between "we'll give it a try" and "oh, you haven't seen ANYTHING yet"

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Marco Rubio and Rand Paul were two of the candidates on the GoP side that I resonated with. Bernie was the only Democrat candidate that I liked. Even Jeb would have been a decent choice. Any of those men would have made great Presidents. Instead, my dipshit compatriots picked the worst two possible candidates. we fucking got what we deserved IMO. Next time, America, don't be so fucking stupid.
    Oh come on.....with the exception of Rand Paul do you honestly believe that any republican is so different from Trump?

Rand Paul is different on foreign policy from other right wingers but that makes it impossible for him to ever win the nominee but he isn't that different on other policies.

Whatever Trump is doing now is the exact same thing as what Bush was doing, only difference is that Trump people while filling the swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Oh come on.....with the exception of Rand Paul do you honestly believe that any republican is so different from Trump?

Rand Paul is different on foreign policy from other right wingers but that makes it impossible for him to ever win the nominee but he isn't that different on other policies.

Whatever Trump is doing now is the exact same thing as what Bush was doing, only difference is that Trump people while filling the swamp.
    "All republicans are bad, democrats are the only worthwhile party guys!"

We have this exact same shit in Australia. You're not right, you're not wrong either. It's called Partisan Bias. A candidate can be Republican AND a good candidate. Just as a candidate can be a Democrat and a good candidate.

Do not like "good looking " leaders like Rubio

They tend to be too Narcissistic