Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Le Pen: French Jews Will Have to Give Up Israeli Citizenship

http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/1.770915

In a France ruled by the far-right Marine Le Pen, Jewish citizens will be forced to give up their Israeli citizenship, the Front National party leader said on Thursday.

Le Pen, a leading contender in the upcoming French presidential contest, told France 2 TV that if elected, she will not allow French citizens to hold on to any citizenship in a non-European country. When asked specifically about Israel and Jews, who form a large community in France, the Front National party leader responded: "Israel isn't a member of the European Union, and doesn't consider itself as such," and therefore a dual French-Israeli citizenship will not be allowed.

Le Pen said that the ban will also apply to citizens of the U.S. and North African countries, but that dual citizens of the EU and of Russia, which she said is part of she termed the "Europe of nations," will be exempted.

A recent poll showed Le Pen advancing to the second round of balloting in May but still losing handily to front-runner Emmanuel Marcon. Her political party, the National Front, was founded by her father, Jean-Marie Le Pen, who routinely minimized the Holocaust.

The younger Le Pen has sought to move the party past her father’s controversies, but French Jewish leaders still consider the National Front anti-Semitic.
    Last week, Le Pen said French Jews should give up the wearing of yarmulkes as part of the country’s struggle to defeat radical Islam.

In an interview with Israel’s Channel 2, Le Pen expressed support for banning the wearing of yarmulkes as part of her broader effort to outlaw religious symbols in public.

“Honestly, the dangerous situation in which Jews in France live is such that those who walk with a kippah are in any case a minority because they are afraid,” Le Pen said, using the Hebrew word for yarmulke. “But I mainly think the struggle against radical Islam should be a joint struggle and everyone should say, ‘There, we are sacrificing something.’”

Referring to French Jews, Le Pen added: “Maybe they will do with just wearing a hat, but it would be a step in the effort to stamp out radical Islam in France.”

Ooooohhhh jew :P

Deleted
    Good old European anti-semitism.

Weird title choice, as this did not specifically title that israelis will have to give up their citizenship, rather: " if elected, she will not allow French citizens to hold on to any citizenship in a non-European country"

But hey, gotta get those threads going someway, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    People on either side of the political spectrum are no more or less sophisticated, rational, or logical than their ideological counterparts.

Honestly it is how it should be in every country. You are either loyal to the country you seek citizenship in or return to the country you have loyalty towards.

This goes for religions like islam to not just Jews.

Says right there.

Referring to French Jews, Le Pen added: “Maybe they will do with just wearing a hat, but it would be a step in the effort to stamp out radical Islam in France.”
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2017-02-10 at 01:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Europe is not a country. There is no "european/eu-identity". Don't drag the sane majority into this madness.

Deleted
    THIS JUST IN: JEWISH CITIZENS HAVE TO PAY TAXES* AND WILL BE IMPRISONED**
    *so does everyone else
    **but only if they commit a crime

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deebe View Post
    Europe is not a country. There is no "european/eu-identity". Don't drag the sane majority into this madness.
    Uh, where did I said "Europe is a country"? Anti-semitism happened throughout the entire continent in the last millenia, from the Edict of Expulsion from England in 1290, the massacres and expulsion from the Iberian Peninsula in the 15/16th centuries, the massacres and pogroms in Ukraine and Russia, the Dreyfus Affair and the Holocaust. Europe, as continent, has a long history of anti-semitism.

Clever tactic.

I bet this mostly aims at Moroccans who can't give up their citizenship because Morocco doesn't allow that. Which means if she really wants to push this through there would be 2 options:

1. Moroccans (and people from several other countries like Iran, Kuba, Syria, Afghanistan etc.) are considered an exception and they can keep their dual citizenship.

2. Those who can't get rid of their dual citizenship simply lose the French, which would mean they "officially" become foreigners in their own country.

I wonder which option Le Pen has in mind.

If she wins and really goes with option two she will face a ton of resistances, but I bet that's her idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    There's nothing anti-Semitic about a law that clearly outlines other nations and peoples involved as well and does not encroach on any real rights of a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Can we get a moderator here to infract Le Pen for trolling?

It would get a lot of attention anyway.
    That's because the idea is retarded no matter what title you give it.
    Eh, I don't mind laws against dual citizenship (Then again, I am not to educated on that subject, so I don't exactly have a strong stance on it) but it seems kind of weird that those laws wouldn't apply to Russia, or other countries in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    People on either side of the political spectrum are no more or less sophisticated, rational, or logical than their ideological counterparts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Can we get a moderator here to infract Le Pen for trolling?
    America bad, Russia good. What the frack, Le Pen? We all know that you are smarter than that bad attempt of trolling...

Who'd want to be a full baguette anyway ?

Funny how her statement is turned against Jews. There are less then half a million jews living in France, and less than a third has officially isreali citizenship.

It's especially a hit against the muslim population, in particular algerians but obviously it affects all other former and current départements and colonies. Millions of arabic and indo-chinese french citizens are affected by this, but it's anti-semitic.

You gotta love that xenophobia and bigotry.

If this proposed law isn't singling out Jews the OP article has a lot of bias, you can do a lot of damage to a politician by calling them an anti-Semite. I see she is including Americans too?

Far as I can tell it applies to me as an American Christian, if I were to have dual French citizenship.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I hope she wins, only nationalism can save Europe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlewick View Post
    Weird title choice, as this did not specifically title that israelis will have to give up their citizenship, rather: " if elected, she will not allow French citizens to hold on to any citizenship in a non-European country"

But hey, gotta get those threads going someway, eh?
    Her motivation for it still makes no sense. It seems completely arbitrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebachina View Post
    That's what Putin would say. Then again, she's taking his money, so...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebachina View Post
    Yeah division for sure will save Europe...