Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Yeah my bad on the "Z"'s i am sorry. The point tho still stands and how are we supposed to know from your post that it was a joke? And how does that joke help someone asking for advice in this thread?

When 2 monitors need more desk width than 1 that means that to look at both without turning your head you have the desk depth too. Productivity doesn't mean gaming on 1 monitor and watching a movie or what have you on the other. It means, that since having the real estate of a big monitor, while doing video production, working on CAD or similar apps it helps immensely. I am working on CAD on a daily basis on a normal 24" while a colleague on a 34" ultrawide. The working space difference between the two is huge. Adding another 24" monitor does nothing to help me. The price is obviously more, can be like 50% on top of two decent 24" ones. There is also the difference on normal 34" and curved ones. If you are doing design then you really don't want curved ones while the opposite stands for movies and games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscone View Post
    Think I have finalized my list. I wanted keep this build in the 1800-2000 range and stepping up to 3440x1440 and a 1080 is just a bit more than I want to stretch I think.
    I am not a huge FPS player and high refresh rates would just be an added cost that I don't think I would greatly see the difference in. I dropped secondary storage as I have a 1tb drive available already here and would rather spend that + a little bit more and just step into a 1tb SSD instead of 500g. Went with the M2 form factor due to very similar prices and wanting to keep the inner workings as clean as possible. Moved to a Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler, because everything else in the case is Black and Red and the DH15 colors just bothered me too much in the end. Anyone care to offer input on OEM versus Full versions on the O/S? Would I be better with a full as opposed to OEM if I ever wanted to make changes in the future?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($124.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($333.98 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair Air 540 Silver ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($92.99 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor ($318.90 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2000.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-10 07:03 EST-0500
    Pretty much a newer version of my current build (980ti, i5 4670k@4.4). You'll be well pleased with it. I've got the R5 case though as I like it to be seen and not heard.

All the fighting.... O.O

Poor guy probably is just going to buy a tablet now!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Let me throw an alternate opinion here. The days of buying i5 over i7 is soon coming to a close. Honestly, any PC I bought today, would have hyper-threading in it. An excuse to save 100 bucks on a 1500 dollar rig, to use what is in actuality a far inferior cpu, is no choice at all. The days of "buy an i5" are from when we were all kids and wanted to save every penny. Don't short your rig because you think you will only use it for gaming. Look at the processor recommendations for the new Fallout texture pack before you decide on i5.

On your pci-e m.2 option, I'd say go for it. It's snappier and will give faster load times. Old sata SSDs are fine, but they are outdated as of this year. Get a 960 evo 500gb for 250 bucks and don't look back. These drives are a lot faster and you can tell the difference, but only slightly and in loading screens.

Get a monitor before anything else. Make sure it has.

1440p or greater
    23" or greater(prefer 27)
    g-sync or freesync
    144hz

If you are not using a monitor with these features, your money is better spent on a monitor. I can't tell you how much qol and compute power you waste trying to handle vsync with software(half your stuff) or just accepting screen tearing in 2017. The next gen of monitors won't even call this "gsync" it will just be w and w/o vsync. Eventually it will be built in every single monitor made(not that far off). It adds a minute amount of latency which is un-noticable.

Opinions:

1. Ditch the bargin basement PSUs and get a seasonic, the new titanium flagship is nice.
    2. Build your ram for the video card you want, not the one you can afford. Look at the REQUIRED ram for a gtx 1080 and start with that.

Thanks, PS: don't build cheap if you have money.
    I just wanted to bump this thread, because less than 4 months later I have been profoundly proven right about buying an i5 being a terrible move. Ask this forum now if you should buy an i5 for gaming today, lol.

Man, I can't believe how I was ripped apart for posting this and today it is basically accepted as long standing fact that i5s are entirely the wrong move for gaming at any resolution, even today. What a difference the Ryzen has made. Man, it feels sweet, but ya know, I knew it was correct when I posted it and accepted the flack anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I just wanted to bump this thread, because less than 4 months later I have been profoundly proven right about buying an i5 being a terrible move. Ask this forum now if you should buy an i5 for gaming today, lol.

Man, I can't believe how I was ripped apart for posting this and today it is basically accepted as long standing fact that i5s are entirely the wrong move for gaming at any resolution, even today. What a difference the Ryzen has made. Man, it feels sweet, but ya know, I knew it was correct when I posted it and accepted the flack anyway.
    Uhh... wut?