Poll: Is it really wise to pay $30 more for 300 extra Megahertz over the AMD Ryzen 5 1400?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X

Is it really wise to pay $30 more for 300 extra Megahertz over the AMD Ryzen 5 1400?
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

Anything below R5 1600 is generally not worth it.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Anything below R5 1600 is generally not worth it.
    What? Please explain your thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Ryzen is far behind in performance per core in gaming, but has options with more cores, so not taking advantage of extra cores you can have makes it far less appealing. Unless it's some kind of very specific usecase, for example you desperately need those cores (for whatever reason) but cant afford anything else.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Ryzen is far behind in performance per core in gaming, but has options with more cores, so not taking advantage of extra cores you can have makes it far less appealing. Unless it's some kind of very specific usecase, for example you desperately need those cores (for whatever reason) but cant afford anything else.
    But does even the latest computer games support more than four cores?

Some of them do, but that's not why people would generally look into buying AMD.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2017-06-07 at 11:02 AM.

Modern games are well multithreaded, so they in a way support any number of cores as long as the scheduling is there. As to if they need more than 4 cores depends pretty much on the game. Some games still use terrible engines which tend to favor high clock speed and don't see much benefit past 4 cores.

But a general rule for now is, machine for new titles go for 12+ thread CPU. For old titles, go for highest IPC and clock speed.

I would push that and say R5 1600X to ignore any sort of overclocking also.

R5 1600X is the sweet spot for anyone that wants to do multi-gaming and play everything since it has nothing to fear against Intel in its general usage, its ahead in some, its behind in some others, overall its a very good choice.

Whether its future investment or older games, the R5 1600X cause of its 4.0Ghz and only that compared to the 3.2-->3.6 of the plain 1600 is a proper choice.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-06-07 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Modern games are well multithreaded, so they in a way support any number of cores as long as the scheduling is there. As to if they need more than 4 cores depends pretty much on the game. Some games still use terrible engines which tend to favor high clock speed and don't see much benefit past 4 cores.

But a general rule for now is, machine for new titles go for 12+ thread CPU. For old titles, go for highest IPC and clock speed.
    Ah, I see.

Ah, I see.
    That's not to say 1500x is bad or worthless, just if you can afford it, a 1600 or 1600x is a better buy in general.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    I would push that and say R5 1600X to ignore any sort of overclocking also.

R5 1600X is the sweet spot for anyone that wants to do multi-gaming and play everything since it has nothing to fear against Intel in its general usage, its ahead in some, its behind in some others, overall its a very good choice.

Whether its future investment or older games, the R5 1600X cause of its 4.0Ghz and only that compared to the 3.2-->3.6 of the plain 1600 is a proper choice.
    Ok I understand but this thread is about two quad core CPUs.

Ok I understand but this thread is about two 4-core CPUs.
    Irrelevant, it doesnt work that way.

The only thing that counters i7 7700K in performance and value for money for -everything- is the R5 1600X and R5 1600 if clocked higher which makes it pointless, since you can just buy the 1600X.

Whether its single-thread or multi-thread.

Irrelevant, it doesnt work that way.

The only thing that counters i7 7700K in performance and value for money for -everything- is the R5 1600X and R5 1600 if clocked higher which makes it pointless, since you can just buy the 1600X.

Whether its single-thread or multi-thread.
    No really... this thread is about two quad core CPUs and not hexa, octa or deca CPUs.

No really... this thread is about two quad core CPUs and not hexa, octa or deca CPUs.
    It is not my problem if you dont understand

It is not my problem if you dont understand
    Do you understand the title of this thread? It is not about hexa, octa or deca CPUs.

remember, it's 300 mhz per core more which should be worth the difference in price if you can use all the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    remember, it's 300 mhz per core more which should be worth the difference in price if you can use all the threads.
    Sadly it doesn't work like that or my 4.2GHz 3770K would be like 16.8GHz.

It works like I said, if you game on the CPU in something like wow which uses mostly 1 core you basically gain 300 mhz, if you run something on all cores that runs them at 100% you gain 300 mhz per core + some boost to the weaker hyperthreading or whatever it's called by AMD.

Deleted
    Actually it is, for programs utilizing all cores fully - for some even higher, since the logical cores can be used as well.

However most games do not scale that well with cores. Yes, modern games are usually better than say WoW where even a second core isn't utilized fully and any further core isn't used at all, but games that scale more or less linear with cores beyond 4 or even 8 are quite rare.
    Then there's also the GPU limit where more CPU power isn't going to help much either.

Some other workloads however scale just fine even beyond 32 cores.

Why are you looking into "upgrading" a 3770k to a 1500X? an overclocked 3770k already outperforms the 1500X.