Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Filling jobs becomes more difficult as many do not want to work for minimum wage. As a result the economy slows down and everyone suffers.
    Isn't that what Brexiters wanted? They wanted an environment where companies were coming to them, begging for workers.

Though what they will get is likely a handful of automation in about 5 years.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it torture? I was looking at interviews and many are making a living. They one day can get citizenship so it would be worth it in the end.
    They don't call it Wage slavery for nothing. Why not offer them equal pay for equal work? There's a reason why the locals won't work for minimum wage.

Deleted
    It's good. It forces automation of low-end jobs, which requires high-end workers to maintain.

Companies have gotten very used to exploiting desperate people to depress wages as a matter of course.

The idea that if a few low paid jobs were better paid it'd be cataclysmic inflation and all those gains would be wiped out is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    perfect example is your post - you say that you yourself are making less then garbage collectors - then why dont you change job to such if its such well payed? ill tell you why because 95 % of western society treat such work position as shamefull not something you admit to others thats why.
    If you look at the post I quoted it was someone saying that people don't want to do these jobs simply because they are low paid jobs. I know that's not the reason that a lot of people don't want to do them, don't have to preach to me
    As to the reason I'm not a binman: it so well paid that there are no vacancies in that line of work around here.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Filling jobs becomes more difficult as many do not want to work for minimum wage. As a result the economy slows down and everyone suffers.
    Maybe do some research before you post nonsense. Staffline are an agency. Agencies are shit to work for. They don't offer job security but just send people to random jobs that are temporary. They force people to do overtime or lose their job.
    That's why British workers won't use agencies. Agencies fill their staff from Europeans. An example is at my mothers work, Tesco. Almost every agency worker is Polish. That's not an exaggeration, every single one of them is Polish. Agencies don't give two shits if you're unhappy or have issues, they just get rid of you.

Lets take a look at reviews for this company, shall we?

"Short and Not So Sweet"

StarStarStarStarStar
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Nottingham, England
    Doesn't Recommend
    Neutral Outlook
    No opinion of CEO
    Pros
    As with any dysfunctional organisation, there are always good people making the best of a poor situation and I worked with some talented and highly skilled IT professionals whilst at Staffline.
    Cons
    Weak management, lack of a coherent strategy despite the hype, victimisation and 'does-your-face-fit' culture. Laddish and immature behaviour from some staff. Personalities allowed too much influence due to weak management and a failure to honestly identify and tackle issues. Lack of focus on customers and their requirements or needs.
    Advice to Management
    Drag your world view into the 21st century where value is placed on staff and not solely personal profit as the only relevant bottom line
    "Very poor and sometimes inhumane"

StarStarStarStarStar
    Current Employee - Stockhandler in Neasden, England
    Doesn't Recommend
    Negative Outlook
    Disapproves of CEO
    I have been working at Staffline (More than a year)
    Pros
    they will always pay the minimum wage, but the payments are accurate..
    Cons
    If you will not take overtime, they threaten you.
    Every manager are indians. Lots of discrimination happen but they are never protected the agency workers.
    Advice to Management
    More humanity, fair treatment, new leaders. This would be necessary!
    Don't go to work for this company!
    "Poor management, processes and pay"

StarStarStarStarStar
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee
    Doesn't Recommend
    Negative Outlook
    Disapproves of CEO
    I worked at Staffline full-time
    Pros
    Genuinely struggling to think of any pros. I suppose the location was relatively convenient, but the offices/ branch were old and poorly maintained.
    Cons
    Very poor management with lots of favouritism towards those who "brown nose". Better jobs given to aforementioned brown nosers whilst the hard workers got the others. Poor H&S processes and staff need training on first aid. No flexibility given for family events but expected to work hours outside those scheduled with no extra pay.
    Advice to Management
    Look after all employees equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    Well, if there is a shortage of workers, wouldn't that also increase the wages longterm?

People do a lot of stuff as long as it enables a "normal" life, financially.
    No....because there is only so far wages can rise without impacting the competitiveness of the end product. That can be combatted through the use of protectionist policies but such policies destroy competitiveness and efficiency which in turn impacts upon prices, quality and export markets. It provides a boost in the short term but the economy suffers after a few years.

So.....no.

Exacerbating this is the little problem that higher wages makes automation so much more attractive which means fewer workers employed
    Last edited by KyrtF; 2017-02-11 at 11:54 PM.

Deleted
    Truth be told, Britain post brexit vote has become an unattractive country to relocate to (same as US). I'm turning down job interviews for both of these countries as the social climate feels extremely toxic. It's not surprising expats / immigrants that are already there feel that they can find something better elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    They don't call it Wage slavery for nothing. Why not offer them equal pay for equal work? There's a reason why the locals won't work for minimum wage.
    If that is all that is available then why don't they work for it?

Quote Originally Posted by KyrtF View Post
    Exacerbating this is the little problem that higher wages makes automation so much more attractive which means fewer workers employed
    Mhmm, this is actually happening in Germany as we speak.

The largest amount of polish workers (and generally eastern europe) harvests strawberries and asparagus during season, since we still don't have a reliable machine capable of identifying the ripe product, not even talking about pulling the vegetables without damage.

Now there is one machine that's supposed to be capable of both, after 5 years of testing (and tons of failures). Only need a handful people to sort the harvest, as opposed to several dozen pulling the vegetables manually.

Really interesting, if a bit frightening.

Deleted
    Filling jobs becomes more difficult as many do not want to work for minimum wage.
    Then they should pay more, and stop abusing foreigners through shitty temp agencies. End of thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Then they should pay more, and stop abusing foreigners through shitty temp agencies. End of thread.
    This would generally result in one of two posibilities. A price increase or some form of automation. Conceptually of course their is a 3rd possibility. The owners of that business give the labor a higher share of profit. Good luck with that.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good, that will force companies to raise their pay rates in order to get the best candidates. Not paying some Pollak to do a job for significantly less than market rate should be a reminder of why we don't have a middle class anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    It's not really been long enough to say either way. Having probelms filling jobs is a good thing though... means a richer middle class with more spending power.
    The kinds of jobs filled by immigrant workers were more suited to the working class, i.e. minimum or low wage jobs. If there has to be an increase in the minimum wage to attract more British workers it runs the risk of increasing the costs of basic services so everyone is worse off (including the middle class,) wrecking small businesses that already have high labour costs or pushing industries towards automation that could lead to higher unemployment overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Isn´t this currently kind of government interference then too?

Also what profit margin does a company have that can´t afford proper wages?
    There is always outside interference from various sources like world events, or in this case Laws.
    But it is different to have a situation where you can choose to offer higher salaries to fill your spot easier and better - and to be forced to do it by law, even if you cannot afford it. You may also be able to afford it but have other investment plans for now, or you are trying to repay a debt and can't afford it now, but will be able to in the future.

Who can't afford it? Many small business that employ 1-2 people, make barely enough for the salaries and the salary of the owner. Is not like every little shop around you makes thousands in profit

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    Who can't afford it? Many small business that employ 1-2 people, make barely enough for the salaries and the salary of the owner. Is not like every little shop around you makes thousands in profit
    Then frankly, those will have to close. We can´t keep wages low just so some small business still can survive. We might as well subsidize them while we increase minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Then frankly, those will have to close. We can´t keep wages low just so some small business still can survive. We might as well subsidize them while we increase minimum wages.
    Yeah? Well... you know... that's like... your opinion, man

The 28 million small businesses in America account for 54% of all U.S. sales.

Small businesses provide 55% of all jobs and 66% of all net new jobs since the 1970s.

The 600,000 plus franchised small businesses in the U.S. account for 40% of all retail sales and provide jobs for some 8 million people.

The small business sector in America occupies 30-50% of all commercial space, an estimated 20-34 billion square feet.

Furthermore, the small business sector is growing rapidly. While corporate America has been "downsizing", the rate of small business "start-ups" has grown, and the rate for small business failures has declined.

The number of small businesses in the United States has increased 49% since 1982.

Since 1990, as big business eliminated 4 million jobs, small businesses added 8 million new jobs.

Source: https://www.sba.gov/managing-busines...usiness-trends

They won't do the same work for the same pay is the difference. That is a good thing not a bad thing. If a service is so useless that you can't attract workers for it at a reasonable wage I promise you that it isn't a important job.
    In Georgia (the United States version of Georgia, not the country), they kicked out the immigrants one year. That summer they could not get people to pick peaches or strawberries to replace the immigrants that used to do it. That fall the peaches and strawberries rotted in the fields. The owners of the orchards refused to raise wages, and everyone else refused to work for the wages offered. Not that great of a situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Good, that will force companies to raise their pay rates in order to get the best candidates. Not paying some Pollak to do a job for significantly less than market rate should be a reminder of why we don't have a middle class anymore.
    What on earth motivated you to disrespect the Polish workers that are trying to make a better life for themselves? This is disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post

What on earth motivated you to disrespect the Polish workers that are trying to make a better life for themselves? This is disgraceful.
    being clueless about his own modern history made him like this - hes probably unaware that the main reason why white middle class was able to lvie so comfortably in 2nd half of 20 century was because of milions of immigrants from former british colonies coming to UK and taking the same jobs that polish workers were taking now - the thing is those poor uneducated immigrant had kids which went to UK schools and when they grown up they had much higher ambitions then their parents then their grandkids no longer even rememebr that their grandparent were immigrant - they are fully british citizens from birth , very well educated and they wouldnt even imagine taking those jobs because they are beneth them - so someone had to replace those workers - the easiest solutions were workers from eastern eu who as workers with low education and low skills were making equiwalent of 400 euro a month in their homeland - for them payment like 7/hour in UK is dream come true even if its in shittiest job while native people from UK treat it as disrispect and wouldnt touch anything below 12-15/hour preferably in cozy office job .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post

Sadly, people will mostly buy the cheaper product that was made and imported from a country that still is allowed to produce with cheap labour.
    thats the big problem that a lot of people are forgeting - once the prices will raise investors will naturaly turn their eyes into import of this stuff . and you cant just raise customs because this is not 19th century anymore and world bank and other agencies wont allow that and will put huge fines on country that tries to fight dirty liek that.

Isn´t this currently kind of government interference then too?

Also what profit margin does a company have that can´t afford proper wages?
    A lot of it is just simply profiteering. My missus works as a home carer, luckily for a decent company. I know that they get paid by the government £25 for a 1hr visit, my other half gets paid £15 for this 1hr visit which I think is a fairly healthy margin to make on somebody's labour. Yet there are other companies operating in the same region undoubtedly receiving the same money from the government yet they only pay minimum wage which is £7.50 per hour.

So the other company is making an additional 75% more profit from every hour worked, do they actually need this to stay in business?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by angelblack View Post
    Truth be told, Britain post brexit vote has become an unattractive country to relocate to (same as US). I'm turning down job interviews for both of these countries as the social climate feels extremely toxic. It's not surprising expats / immigrants that are already there feel that they can find something better elsewhere.
    The thing is this is just bullshit, especially regarding the UK. You have openly right-wing parties in mainland Europe headed up by the likes of Gert Wilders and Marine Le pen gathering the kind of support that UKIP could only dream of, in fact the make UKIP look like a bunch of lefty tossers.

In fact, contrary to what many believe the link below shows the majority of the EU is in favour of Trump-like policies.

https://infogr.am/63af14ef-8711-4002-b384-e6058ce56643