Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I was expecting this to be another drunken Jayburner thread..
    Mastered might be exagerating, but I consider myself proficient enough with them to not be in danger of starving should the chinese start ruling over all of us (yes I know, I'm just kidding).

The index and middle fingers move the top chopstick, think of it like using a pen. Use the rest of your hand to hold the bottom one still. Now, pinch!

And don't worry about getting super dextrous with them, as far as I can tell the authentic Asian way to eat with chopsticks is to put everything in little bowls, tip them into your mouth and just use the chopsticks to shovel it down faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I was expecting this to be another drunken Jayburner thread..
    Mastered might be exagerating, but I consider myself proficient enough with them to not be in danger of starving should the chinese start ruling over all of us (yes I know, I'm just kidding).
    That was my first thought!

There has to be a million Youtube videos on how to use chopsticks. The dry wooden ones stick to greasy food better than the plastic chopsticks.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I may have been known to use them.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkonen View Post
    Currently trying to learn how to use chopsticks but food mostly ends up on the plate again, on the table or on the floor. Not in my mouth.

So, any tips for how I can learn how to use chopsticks easy and fast?
    It's easy. Have a chinese show you. My biggest mistakes, cramping up on the fingers and making too much fuss about it. The lower Chopstick doesn't move, it's stabilised by your middle finger, the middle of your thumb and resting against your thumbpit. The only thing moving is the upper chopstick, which you pretty much hold like a pen between index finger and thumb (thumb slightly behind index finger, to give you leverage).

And then it's just a matter of practice and not cramping up.

Fun fact, that Chinese told me she was made to practice with marbles when she was little. And that, my friends, is the secret to their super skill with chopsticks. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Its a pinching maneouver essentially. One stick will stay rested along your thumb and your index finger will close down. For some foods its easier than others. If youre eating a bowl of rice and its with friends or not very formal feel free to bring the bowl closer to your face and use the sticks as a shovel.
    This guy knows what he's talking about!
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Currently trying to learn how to use chopsticks but food mostly ends up on the plate again, on the table or on the floor. Not in my mouth.

I am sure someone has.

There not that hard, just look up how too on youtube or something, it's all about getting the way you hold them right

Think I've heard from a few people who are from Asia say something along the lines of "If you can pick up and eat rice one single grain at a time with chopsticks, you can eat almost anything."
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Yea. Just takes practice.

I have been to China, Taiwan, S. Korea, Japan and Laos. Along the way i picked up on how to use chopsticks. One of my best girlfriends is Korean. She helped coach me a lot, even though her family eats with forks. Lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, back in the 90s/00s I would just ask for some chopsticks with my asian food orders and would just use the damn things until I got decent with them.

Its all about the pinchy pinchy!

USE THE FOREFINGER!
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

mastered ? not but became very accustomed to it . its quite easy after some time of using it. just requires patience as adoult.

Why master a musket when I have a fully auto M4?

I once managed to eat an entire bowl of ramen with chopsticks. But I certainly haven't mastered them.

I see people trying to use chopsticks to eat western food which doesn't make a lot of sense. You can't eat non-sticky rice with chopsticks. Their food is designed around chopsticks just like ours is designed around forks and knives. You can't eat a steak with chopsticks (well I guess you CAN).

The biggest mistake I see people make is trying to move both sticks at the same time. One should stay on your thumb side and the other is used for clamping/scooping/moving.

I learned how to use them from a kids magazine (Dynamite) when I was eight years old. Yeah, that was back in the mid-70s)
    Use the methods mentioned above since it helps to acclimate to usage. But after a while familiarity kicks in and you'll be using a method more inclined to your muscle reflexes and then you'll be dueling chopsticks with everyone else in southeast Asia.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm okay when grabbing larger pieces of food, like sushi, but I can't do small bits at all or like... noodles? Idk how the hell people eat noodles with chop sticks.

Deleted
    Well... i can eat with them,...

but what i usually do is: just ask for fork and knife.

Very nice Japanese lady explains.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Just use them to shovel food into your mouth
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    I see people trying to use chopsticks to eat western food which doesn't make a lot of sense. You can't eat non-sticky rice with chopsticks. Their food is designed around chopsticks just like ours is designed around forks and knives. You can't eat a steak with chopsticks (well I guess you CAN).

The biggest mistake I see people make is trying to move both sticks at the same time. One should stay on your thumb side and the other is used for clamping/scooping/moving.
    You can eat anything with chops sticks except soup.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkthugal View Post
    No and I've never bothered trying, because we have goddamn forks here.
    I see no reason to use a less effective method of eating just for the hell of it ...LOL I say burn those worthless utensils for fire wood.