Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    remember when the borat song got played instead of the khazakstan national anthem? some people must just click the first google link without reading

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    I don't know, I can see it be pretty damn humiliating.

Nazi culture is probably the most detested icon of evil in modern day Germany.

Then participating in a championship and them being introduced and represented with that image... they must've felt naked while standing there in front of everyone.
    Like another poster already pointed out, the first part of our anthem was never solely used by the Nazis nor was it invented by them. It's way older and has a completely other meaning. It's about unification. Thats why this part is outdated and not used anymore. The second part isn't used either and this one was never used by the Nazis in the first place.

So no. The man simply presented an outdated part of our anthem, nothing to see about Nazis. To be ashamed of this is mostly silly, if nothing else. It's part of our history, simple as that. If he performed the Horst-Wessel-Lied. That would have been a reason to be "outraged" "frustrated" and a reason to "Cry my eyes out".

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    How exactly is the age related?
    Apparantly 70 years isn't enough time for some Americans to adjust.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Yes, well. We stole Mozart, too. Deal with it. :P
    Didn't know you were Austrian :P

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Whoop? US tennis is bigger than German tennis atm. Despite the odd surprise win (note the surprise), US tennis players regularily cream German tennis players in the court. The times of Steffi Graf and Boris Becker are over. We haven't had a single decent tennis player since those two. Especially those Williams' sisters are schooling European tennis players left and right.

So yeah, a bit of respect for the guest nation would be cool. Just 2 minutes on Wikipedia and this mistake could've been avoided. To me it looks like no fucks were given... how many people were involved in the formal proceedings of that ceremony without anyone noticing this blunder?
    You must have missed Sabine Lisicki and Angelique Kerber... apparently, you know as little about Tennis as you do about football...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    I mean if china played american badass instead of the anthem youd never hear the end of it.
    I nominate " Cocky" by Kid Rock as the new national anthem of the US.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

By all accounts I've read, a part of the song is simply skipped because it is indentified with the Nazis.

I'm going to say that the singer was utterly unfamiliar with the German national anthem, and was handed some sheets with it. Maybe nobody bothered to pass along " Hey don't sing that part. it's Nazi stuff."

I have to tell you, I have no clue what the national anthem of any country in the world is other than the US. Never bothered to look.
    Last edited by Berengil; 2017-02-13 at 02:19 PM.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post

It's a nice song.

Probably happened due to a massive googling failure.

F'ing Maui! What a wonderful place to go!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post

_______________________________________________________________________________________

By all accounts I've read, a part of the song is simply skipped because it is indentified with the Nazis.

I'm going to say that the singer was utterly unfamiliar with the German national anthem, and was handed some sheets with it. Maybe nobody bothered to pass along " Hey don't sing that part. it's Nazi stuff."

I have to tell you, I have no clue what the national anthem of any country in the world is other than the US. Never bothered to look.
    Sadly ive indulged kid rock on spotify all morning.

at least he didnt start with the horst wessel song...

15+ Year Old Account
    This is a bit hilarious but it's also the fault of having an outdated patchwork hymn as anthem. The official German anthem is actually "Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser". Remember that and let noone else convince you otherwise!
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's a nice song.

Probably happened due to a massive googling failure.

F'ing Maui! What a wonderful place to go!
    I'm gonna agree with this. Had to be someone telling an intern "hey, go download the German anthem" and then not double checking the file before use. Bad googling and bad planning. Like running a wedding without a dress rehearsal.

Read about that yesterday. They blame it on the singer googling the anthem.

Ahahaha.

Such a 2017 moment.

Don't quote the internet guys, it's evil and not reliable. At least my teachers used to tell me that!
    Last edited by Malacrass; 2017-02-13 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    It is a pretty horrible and insidious insult.
    The worst part is how the clueless applaud benevolently afterwards.

And I find it very unlikely to have been unintentional.
    You do not get to train singing this as intelligible without coming across anotations about its meaning and use.
    I#m not saying the singer himself planned this, but someone probably did.
    Seriously? In your mind, it's more likely this was planned as a nefarious insult to the Germans than it was a simple mistake? The hell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Seriously? In your mind, it's more likely this was planned as a nefarious insult to the Germans than it was a simple mistake? The hell.
    One would assume that a serious organisation like the USTA would have experience running international events like this and provide or at least confirm the music and text they want to be sung at such events as routine procedure.

As a matter of event planning telling someone to "just figure it out" is a huge beginners mistake and as such it is hard to believe this is a oversight from just one person. Don't attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity, but when something has to get past multiple people to be approved that starts to hold less water.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-02-13 at 05:09 PM.

For what reason? The only people I know of with a problem with Germany at the moment are right wingers who think the country is trying to destroy the west with Muslim immigrants. And they aren't exactly the ones calling everyone Nazis at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Didn't know you were Austrian :P
    I'm not! He was German at the time. They should just accept it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    You must have missed Sabine Lisicki and Angelique Kerber... apparently, you know as little about Tennis as you do about football...
    Did you see the bit where I wrote "despite the odd surprise win"? Apparently not, because it's there, right in your quote. And trust me, both Lisicki and Kerber have been big surprises. Even to themselves. See, I do follow tennis. But you were telling me how Germany is still dominating the tennis courts? Go ahead.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I am still face palming at this shit. My country has become such a joke it's demoralizing.
    Don't worry. The rest of the world knows there is a majority of "good people" in your country when realising every country has it's dark sides.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

Deleted
    We should have selected a new anthem after second world war.

East germany did:

.. and it is much nicer than "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles"..

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure whats wrong with it as I dont know the song nor do I speak German but it sounded fine to me. They should feel lucky we even allowed it to be sung here. The US anthem is what shouldve been sung