Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Not even comparable. All stadiums in Portugal are still used, although not with large numbers, and maintained.
    It wasn't a comparison, hence why i said it's worse.

In Portugal's case we had just built a bunch of stadiums which only a select group of teams could actually fill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Awful close to a nation bashing thread.
    hardly, its simply curiosity and a valid question, try adding something constructive to the conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    It wasn't a comparison, hence why i said it's worse.

In Portugal's case we had just built a bunch of stadiums which only a select group of teams could actually fill them.
    Just 3 teams, I'd imagine

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Just 3 teams, I'd imagine
    Yes basically, maybe one or two more, but that's more sporadically

Wouldn't it be preferred to have the Olympics in the same location every year and share the cost/revenue with the competing countries? It seems like we do this ring around the rosey with the olympics and there's billions and billions of dollars spent creating the exact same things year after year.

We should be trying to make these things renewable, not one time only facilities. Even in developed countries, the facilities are probably not used that much. I mean who needs a huge, olympic-sized swimming pool? The upkeep alone is so expensive, and the track stadium holds thousands and thousands of people. Seems pointless to try to re-use them for anything but the olympics.

I'd love to see the economics of building and maintaining one set of facilities and spreading the cost/revenue to the various big countries like US, China, etc. So wasteful right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    Wouldn't it be preferred to have the Olympics in the same location every year and share the cost/revenue with the competing countries? It seems like we do this ring around the rosey with the olympics and there's billions and billions of dollars spent creating the exact same things year after year.

We should be trying to make these things renewable, not one time only facilities. Even in developed countries, the facilities are probably not used that much. I mean who needs a huge, olympic-sized swimming pool? The upkeep alone is so expensive, and the track stadium holds thousands and thousands of people. Seems pointless to try to re-use them for anything but the olympics.

I'd love to see the economics of building and maintaining one set of facilities and spreading the cost/revenue to the various big countries like US, China, etc. So wasteful right now.
    No, richer countries turn the olympic into infrastructure building opportunity and expansion of tourrism. As mentioned many USA, Canada and even Russian olympics turn into decent opportunity. Having all countries spend into the same city hosted event would kill it, because nobody would want to spend that much cash into another nation just for the hell of it. Every year only one nation would benefit. The real problem is allowing countries that everybody already knows cant host them, let alone build for them and use the infrastructure long term, host them. FFS brazil had green piss water.

Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    Wouldn't it be preferred to have the Olympics in the same location every year and share the cost/revenue with the competing countries?
    Unfortunately, people don't like to pay for infrastructure in their own countries. Good luck getting a bunch of countries to pay for someone else's crap...even if distributing the cost among the various participants would reduce their individual burden.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Unfortunately, people don't like to pay for infrastructure in their own countries. Good luck getting a bunch of countries to pay for someone else's crap...even if distributing the cost among the various participants would reduce their individual burden.
    It has more to do with the fact that nobody would see any kind of return from the investment.

Is the government going to beef up the pick pocketing yet?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    To be fair countries like brazil should simply never have been allowed to host. Its corrupt as fuck and its citizen are poor as hell and over taxed. They make china look like heaven.
    Not to mention the crime and state of the city/water.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    The Olympics are like locus swarms. Will be interesting to see how Japan handles it.
    The difference is Japan has the resources to burn on this, not only that they already have many stadiums that are so up to scratch.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Olympics and World Cup were brought to Brazil only for this, to give corruption a big window of opportunity.

Every non partisan people people here knew that. Only those who supported the party in power back then had the illusion those events would be good for Brazil.

7+ Year Old Account
    The problem right now is that theres simply not enough money nor political incentive to make good use of the infrastructure. The Olympics was taken way more serious than the World Cup. I mean, at least Rio could use the instalations it's not like building an overpriced stadium in the middle of an isolated city... They just can't afford the maintenance.

The problem is that not only Brazil got into a massive economic crysis (For multiple reasons, not only the Olympics), but Rio (The state) is simply broken. They already declared State of Calamity and since there's no money to pay the police officer's salary, the federal gov. is already sending the Army there.

Altho I'm not sure if they would maintain the instalation, even if they had the money to since Brazil's political integrity is a joke.

Deleted
    Wanna bet the majority of contractors are owned by foreign billionaires? Read diaries of a economic hitman this'll fit right in.

Those places look like they've been abandoned for decades, not half a year.

Deleted
    So it's like every olympics in a shitty country that never had the infrastructure to support it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chantique View Post
    If there is anybody from england here, could you tell us, do the olympics brought any benefits to London? For what i have seen, most of the cities that hosted the olympics never made to properly use all the infrastructure built after the event.
    The UK has the financial means to keep an olympic park open and reachable and had an aftermath-plan. Brazil clearly had not.
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/d...-on-2012-games

Quote Originally Posted by FireVoodoo View Post
    Meanwhile Russia turned its winter Olympics objects into major tourist attractions.

Thanks to sanctions internal tourism is booming:
    Russian olympic tourism isn't "booming", and it's for two major reasons;
    1: Russia is the most corrupt country on the European continent. Police officers earn more money scamming random civilians and extorting local businesses then they get paid salary. Russian borderpolice is also known for bullying Western Europeans when entering of exiting Russia. So entering, staying in and exiting Russia is unsave for non-Russian tourists. http://www.transparency.org/country/RUS
    2: Since the Russian doping scandal one can understand that nobody wants to be associated with the Russian Olympics anyhow. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/s...ia-doping.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...abandoned.html
    (don't believe the RT propaganda lol)
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    To be fair countries like brazil should simply never have been allowed to host. Its corrupt as fuck
    I agree. I am afraid these large scale public constructions become a cash grab in certain countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    Brazil clearly had not.
    I bet you it is more a lack of caring than a lack of planning.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    You knew when this was going to happen when they had to build a wall between where the Olympics were being held and where people were actually living. The slums. Who was going to use these buildings after they were done? Probably gangs now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I bet you it is more a lack of caring than a lack of planning.
    I think it's more of not having the budget. We can't evaluate the "caring" aspect since Rio already declared state of calamity due to it's finances.

When it was decided that Brazil would host the Olympics the economy was fine considering how much other countries were still suffering from the subprime crisis. The problem started during 2014 and got out of hand in 2015. And it's worse now than it was during the Olympics.

Now Brazil is fucked. No money, state of calamity, corruption, political crisis, polarization, strikes and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    You knew when this was going to happen when they had to build a wall between where the Olympics were being held and where people were actually living. The slums. Who was going to use these buildings after they were done? Probably gangs now.
    To be fair, Rio isn't only slums, the problem is the inequality that is really strong there... And since the trip from the Airport to the Olympic City cut through the slums, they decided to wall it up.

If there are a place in Brazil that could use the installations to some degree that would be either Rio or São Paulo.
    Last edited by Nerdgasm; 2017-02-14 at 10:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I remember right, after the Olympics were held in Atlanta Ga we used the stadium built for it to house the Braves baseball team.