Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Schizophrenic Canadian who beheaded bus passenger walks free, won’t be monitored.

A schizophrenic man that beheaded a bus passenger who was a total stranger to him in Canada has been allowed to walk free. Canadian authorities don’t view him as a significant threat to the public and won’t monitor him to ensure he takes his medication.

Will Baker, formerly known as Vince Li, was granted an absolute discharge by the Criminal Code Review Board in the Canadian province of Manitoba on Friday.

The board “is of the opinion that the weight of evidence does not substantiate that Mr. Baker poses a significant threat to the safety of the public,” the decision said.

The gruesome murder took place on a Greyhound bus back in 2008, when Baker was sitting next to Tim McLean, a 22-year-old carnival worker whom he had never met before. The young man reportedly smiled at Baker and asked him how he was doing.

Baker claimed that he heard the voice of God tell him to kill McLean or “die immediately.” The man then repeatedly stabbed the 22-year-old and beheaded him as passengers fled the bus in shock.

Baker was initially kept in a secure wing of a psychiatric hospital, but was recognized as schizophrenic and found not to be criminally responsible a year later in 2009, while gaining more and more privileges every year.

Baker began living on his own in an apartment in Manitoba’s capital, Winnipeg, in November of 2016, but he was monitored to make sure that he took his medication. Earlier in February, Baker’s lawyer asked the board to drop the remaining conditions and give Baker complete freedom.

“I was confident based on the evidence that was presented to them,” Baker’s lawyer Alan Libman told the Winnipeg Sun.

“There was no contrary point of view provided. No one who has worked with him believes he’s a danger to anyone; no one who has worked with him has anything negative to say. He’s been hard-working, compliant, and has done everything that’s been asked of him,” he said.

The executive director of the Manitoba Schizophrenia Society, Chris Summerville, told the Toronto Star newspaper that Baker is “no longer a violent person.”

“I will say, yes, he absolutely understands that he has to [take his medication] and has a desire to live a responsible, moral life and never succumb to psychotic episodes and not to hurt anybody ever again,” he said.

However, Carol de Delley, the victim’s mother, took to Facebook to criticize Baker’s release.

“This just in... Vince Li/Will Baker was granted an absolute discharge today by the Manitoba review board. I have no comment today. I have no words...,” she said.

Crown attorney Mary Goska, a prosecutor in Canada’s legal system, believes Baker is still a threat to the public.

“We should not lose sight of what occurred because it does speak to the threat… It’s clear that he can be a danger in certain circumstances,” she said.

Baker’s release has also prompted a flood of incredulous posts on social media.
    https://www.rt.com/news/377065-canad...phrenic-freed/

Yeah, he sounds completely fine to be out in the open.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

That's good. Punishing people will only marginalize them further into extremism.

7+ Year Old Account
    Immigrant with a history of mental illness (people asked why he was even in the country with his history)

The worst of it HE ATE THE FUCKING GUYS FACE (or parts of him at least)

This is absolute garbage and a perfect example of the system failing imo

Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    Immigrant with a history of mental illness (people asked why he was even in the country with his history)

Sounds like he was on the bath salts.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    That's good. Punishing people will only marginalize them further into extremism.
    How about making sure he takes his meds, you know, so the "voice of God" doesn't tell him to commit further atrocious acts?

Deleted
    If I was a relative of the victim, I would definitely go and kill this guy. Regardless of the consequences, he does not deserve to get away with this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post

Would be a great shame if he or some other released schitzophrenic killer would end up beheading and eating the face of someone who supported his release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cue the people who don't recognize the important part of a "not guilty by reason of insanity" plea.

What on earth? Lock the looney up. Who had the bright idea, that person like that is no danger? Nevermind him already having demonstrated he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post

That's okay. In America we'd let him walk free after 3 months of community service and then give him a gun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Cue the people who don't recognize the important part of a "not guilty by reason of insanity" plea.
    Why would anyone without a law degree on a video game forum even care about that? They are too busy looking for fuel to fan the flames of their own narrative.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    What on earth? Lock the looney up. Who had the bright idea, that person like that is no danger? Nevermind him already having demonstrated he is.
    He's been diagnosed and treated for his illness and found not guilty in court. So doctors and judges are the ones deciding that he isn't a danger.

What the fuck? He should be killed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    That's okay. In America we'd let him walk free after 3 months of community service and then give him a gun.
    And anyone who dares suggest that the disturbed shouldn't be carrying guns will get crucified by the Republicans.
    Putin khuliyo

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post

Guess I'm going to cancel my vacation to Manitoba next month . . . .

And there are plenty of people that get that verdict but are still locked up. Just not in a prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Dylann Roof shouldn't be punished or else he might resort to worse hate crimes. Nice argument.

I know this is sick. But the American in me laughed at the part that was:

"Baker claimed that he heard the voice of God tell him to kill McLean or “die immediately.” The man then repeatedly stabbed the 22-year-old and beheaded him as passengers fled the bus in shock."

He should be monitored though, at the very least. Schizophrenics are dangerous as fuck, and this one just killed and cannibalized someone... At best he should be institutionalized.

10+ Year Old Account
    Endus, Endus, Endus...... so if I were insane and decided that my Neighbor Phil probably tasted delicious and I went Hannibal Lector on him would I be free to go about my life because I'm insane. because Phil tastes like chicken and he's closer than the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    You don't kill people for having their brains fucked up.
    A stranger he never knew smiling and asking if he's alright stabbed twenty-two times, beheaded and eaten blatantly in public.
    Schizophrenia has no cure. The meds are downers at best. The only silver lining is its rare for someone his age to have more than one incident versus someone young, so there is a chance he might not do it again.

I'm not saying kill him, lock him away for life, or anything of the sort. But a friendly reminder as to why people don't feel the same empathy for the poor guy with a fucked up brain. This isn't someone with the beginnings of Palsy being roped into your fifth pick to play basketball. This is a guy who abruptly murdered and ate someone. And the part of the story I never understood is why did he have anything to stab someone with on the Greyhound in the first place? I've done Greyhound quite a few times. They check your shit. He would have had to hidden it, which is pretty sketchy.

The lack of being monitored at minimum is the most reprehensible and dangerous part.