Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

35 Mental health professionals write open letter to NYT on Trump

Mental Health Professionals Warn About Trump

To the Editor:

Charles M. Blow (column, nytimes.com, Feb. 9) describes Donald Trump’s constant need “to grind the opposition underfoot.” As mental health professionals, we share Mr. Blow’s concern.

Silence from the country’s mental health organizations has been due to a self-imposed dictum about evaluating public figures (the American Psychiatric Association’s 1973 Goldwater Rule). But this silence has resulted in a failure to lend our expertise to worried journalists and members of Congress at this critical time. We fear that too much is at stake to be silent any longer.

Mr. Trump’s speech and actions demonstrate an inability to tolerate views different from his own, leading to rage reactions. His words and behavior suggest a profound inability to empathize. Individuals with these traits distort reality to suit their psychological state, attacking facts and those who convey them (journalists, scientists).

In a powerful leader, these attacks are likely to increase, as his personal myth of greatness appears to be confirmed. We believe that the grave emotional instability indicated by Mr. Trump’s speech and actions makes him incapable of serving safely as president.

LANCE DODES

JOSEPH SCHACHTER

Beverly Hills, Calif.

Dr. Dodes is a retired assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Schachter is a former chairman of the Committee on Research Proposals, International Psychoanalytic Association. The letter was also signed by 33 other psychiatrists, psychologists and social workers.

Correction: February 14, 2017
    An earlier version of this letter misstated the number of co-signers in addition to the two lead signers. There were 33, not 35.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/o...=fb-share&_r=2

I guess it's not just laymen noticing that he constantly exhibits the classic traits of clinical narcissism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

If it's any consolation, there's another thread going on right now where most people are arguing that being a "mental health professional" is meaningless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    If it's any consolation, there's another thread going on right now where most people are arguing that being a "mental health professional" is meaningless.
    Well; Just like this thread proves, they're very prone to being morons balking to stupid ideas. Do we see real doctors doing this at all?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    DSM-5 criteria for narcissistic personality disorder include these features:

• Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance
    • Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
    • Exaggerating your achievements and talents
    • Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
    • Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people
    • Requiring constant admiration
    • Having a sense of entitlement
    • Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations
    • Taking advantage of others to get what you want
    • Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
    • Being envious of others and believing others envy you
    • Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner
    This fits the peg for every feminist and progressive stack worshipper ever.

Deleted
    Isn't it completely unethical for a doctor to use his degree as a political weapon and openly bash people? Something something confidentiality?
    But I guess for democrats ethics is also something that can be sacrificed as they are waging their war of justice against evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Natureapex View Post
    Many of them, probably.

But they're not running the country.

Quote Originally Posted by devla View Post
    Isn't it completely unethical for a doctor to use his degree as a political weapon and openly bash people? Something something confidentiality?
    But I guess for democrats ethics is also something that can be sacrificed as they are waging their war of justice against evil.
    If that person is their patient, yes. But Trump is not their patient. I'm unaware of any ethical rules for those in the mental health field that would prohibit them from talking about public figures.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is there anything that can be brought about by this or are mental health professionals finally catching up with everyone else?

- - - Updated - - -

I actually thought it fit every semi-successful business owner I've ever had to sit at the same table with.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Confidentiality" only applies to a person if they're your patient, smarty.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Is there anything that can be brought about by this or are mental health professionals finally catching up with everyone else?

- - - Updated - - -

I actually thought it fit every semi-successful business owner I've ever had to sit at the same table with.
    You have to be a sociopath to be succesful in todays world. The more you distance yourself from.basic humanity the more youll be able to get ahead.

OT apparently several senators have expressed private concerns about the presidents mental health as well. See if i can dig up a link

http://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtm...0ed_story.html

I know i know.wapo fake news liberal baias etc etx
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2017-02-15 at 12:55 AM.

Seems to at least brush against the Goldwater Rule

https://www.psychiatry.org/news-room...goldwater-rule

And if any of them get their hands on the most powerful military in the history of man and several thousand nukes - then I will join you in being concerned.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Derian View Post

Huh, didn't know about that rule, interesting. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    "Confidentiality" only applies to a person if they're your patient, smarty.
    Indeed, however once a professional decides (as the above have) diagnose you even without your permission - then most codes of ethics would describe them as your patient.

However - as mentioned above, some of these doctors are admitting that they are breaking ethics for the greater good.

In Trump's case the concern is so out there, so blatant and dangerous that something needs to be done.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Derian View Post

This is different, because we have to save the country from a mad man! Wonder who will play Trump in the movie?

35 is a pretty pathetic number, if they couldn't have gotten 500 to commit, then they are just fishing for a story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    How does that make Trump not a narcissist, I am confused?
    I am fairly sure that the essence of a DSM diagnosis is whether or not the person diagnosed or those directly surrounding him is/are affected detrimentally by the aforementioned disease (no, saying ''the rest of the country suffers from him'' doesn't make the diagnosis valid.
    Without that it is literally impossible to diagnose him with anything.
    Since nobody of these people have spoken to Trump, it is therefore impossible to ascertain if he finds any negative effects from his supposed narcissism, without which it is impossible to make the diagnosis.

Stuff like this is exactly why the Goldwater rule was implemented

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    And if any of them get their hands on the most powerful military in the history of man and several thousand nukes - then I will join you in being concerned.
    Difference being Trump is very much a popularist, Feminists don't care about the majority, see every form of media feminists have ever tried to warp.

Deleted
    Doctor-patient confidentiality only applies in the case that the doctor is actually treating a person.

Luckily, in this country ''openly bashing people'' is still protected under the first amendment, regardless of whether you are a doctor or not.

Difference being Trump is very much a popularist, Feminists don't care about the majority, see every form of media feminists have ever tried to warp.
    No - difference being, Trump is sitting in a position of extreme power. That's the only difference that matters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    Doctor-patient confidentiality only applies in the case that the doctor is actually treating a person.
    Or diagnosing a person, and patient consent isn't required to be considered a patient.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Wonder who will play Trump in the movie?
    Tom Cruise of course... very little acting will be required, which is fortunate

Deleted
    No - difference being, Trump is sitting in a position of extreme power. That's the only difference that matters.
    You can think that, you're wrong, but you can think that.

Deleted

Or diagnosing a person, and patient consent isn't required to be considered a patient.

Could you rephrase this? I have no idea what you are trying to say here.