Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    New games doesn't mean good games, you don't need to justify your shiny new rig by buying a bunch of shitty modern titles. There's probably old games you've never heard of that are several times more fulfilling that you should play and maybe rekindle your interest in games again. The future of gaming is bleak to be honest.

I'm actually sort of having the same problem right now. My case being I have nobody to play with in multiplayer games after a certain time-frame of playing. Take Overwatch for example. Every time I log onto WoW to do some mundane thing (dailies, wq's, raids) I always get this itch to go play Overwatch. But then when I log into it, I realize that my friends no longer play anymore and I que solo, and I lose interest... Then I'll go about doing other things and still get the itch to play OW again, and the process repeats.

I remember when Diablo 3 was released on Console, and a buddy of mine played the hell out of it with me. We got on every day and had a blast. Then he slowly stopped playing and I was left with disinterest in playing anymore because I had nobody to play with. The last single player game that kept me hooked in playing was Fallout 4 and its DLC's. But once I finished those I lost interest in replayability because there wasn't much difference in choices made in the story. I need a huge story-driven game to get me hooked again. I made the mistake and watched someone playthrough Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy 15. So those are out of the picture. And Kingdom Hearts 3 is so far down the line I've lost sight of it even coming out.

Right now I have some cash to spend on whatever game i feel like, and I want something new, but I have no clue what to get that will not make me feel like shit after buying it a short while later.

Basement Wizard Extraordinaire!

Deleted
    i got so bored of wow that i just couldnt face logging on anymore & quit almost 3 months ago & have been playing FFXIV ever since.
    i havnt enjoyed a game so much since the wrath xpac & the storyline(s) are 1st class.
    never been bored as there is always so much to do.
    ive even got my gf to join me & to try out the free trial.
    she's currently lvl 10 & cant believe the difference, she's loving it.
    maybe give the free trial a bash. at the end of the day you have bought a new pc, a shame to see it go to waste.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I ultimately transitioned over to console gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Packing an i5 View Post
    Big dilemma for me I stopped playing World of we know what again towards the end of last year.

I got the money together for a new gaming PC blows my old one out of the water. I bought some new games too in the never ending pursuit to find short term happiness away from tedious MMO grindfests.

Found total 1 experience that was great life is strange the indie masterpiece. Unfortunately not a game that was going to showcase my new hardware's capabilities over the old.

So I also picked up Fallout 4, Doom, battlefront , the division. I got bored of all of those pretty quick or decided I didnt like them. Fallout 4 lasted me the longest 7.4 hours. I began modding it immediately before my first playthrough and skipped the introduction level.

I also gave mirror's edge catalyst a third try ( never finished it) the new hardware giving me flawless 60 fps on ultra settings made it more fun but I reached another frustrating part and havent been back to playing it in a week. None of the side mission stuff interests me I just wanted to finish the main story. Then I looked up the ending on youtube in case i never finish it and the end sucks so less motivation now to finish. Catalyst is probably the most demanding game I own but part of it is not as optimized as it could be.

I havent played wow on the new system I wonder if that would make it more enjoyable as my old rig struggled with running warcraft at high settings in the new regions of the game since mists of pandaria.

Very quickly im building up thoughts that I have no use for a gaming PC I hardly do any gaming. I was just tired of switching on a crapbox everyday I tried to shine up said crapbox with an SSD in 2015 and a new video card and nothing could hide how bad the cpu was an FX 4100.

Try: Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning or Paladins

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of the games that have kept my interest for quite a while the past year and a half are:

- Witcher 3 with the 2 DLC's
    - Ark: Survival Evolved
    - Space Engineers
    - Assassin's Creed: Black Flag and Assassin's Creed: Rogue
    - Planet Coaster
    - Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    - Rust (the old version)

and yes, I also absolutely LOVED Life is Strange
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

The only other game aside from WoW that I have the slightest urge to play, would be Zen Koi for the phone. Saves me a lot in upgrades for the setup tho!

Welcome to having sophisticated taste in games. It's like when you first start drinking. You'll down Natty Ice no problem. Then you move up to some lagers. Maybe you have some IPAs. Eventually you get to the point where you have your go-to 6 pack from that one microbrewery.

Blizzard has done this to me. Their games are so well done that it's hard to go play just anything anymore. When I play a shittier dev's game with lack of polish, or a horrible UI, or maybe just something leaving you wanting in the art, animation or music... I'm just like nahh after about 5min. I can't go backwards in quality.

GW2 (for example) is a really good MMO, but it just doesn't live up the standards I've become accustomed to from playing games like WoW, etc. Not that Blizzard is the only good dev, I really like Naughty Dog, and a few others as well. But as I play more and more games I get pickier and pickier.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't play pc games anymore despite building a gaming pc last year. I have been playing the shit out of my ps4 and 3ds. My honest suggestion is stop playing western games for awhile and play some japanese games.

Classic video game burnout. Go book a holiday and have a couple weeks away. Fixes it everytime for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    In the past, I hated short, linear games because they had simple (albeit polished) systems and you didn't get a lot of hours for how much money you had too pay.
    After I went through a phase of being incredibly bored of all the games I played (100+ hours in wow, Skyrim, Minecraft, terraria, diablo 3, etc..), I picked decided to readdress the Tomb Raider reboot, which I quit after 2 hours of playing months previous. This time around I had a ton of fun, and I think the draw was that the game was the exact opposite of what i was used to. I needed a break from long, open world, modable, and grindy games. The polish of a shorter and more polished narrative-heavy game was a nice breath of fresh air.

I get the idea they you might need a break from the games you've been playing in the past years. If gameplay doesn't keep you engaged as long right now, find more story/scripted/linear/polished games. I started to play games I never thought I would like because of this. Go find the best games from genres you don't mess with. I never thought I would like Dark Souls and Tomb Raider to name some, and while the might not last as long as the games you're used to, the hours you spend in the games might just be more enjoyable and make up for it.

I dunno if that makes sense, but I tried.
    Thanks for the tip. The Genre im extremely bored of is first person shooters and I cannot find an RPG I like. I avoid other genres such as RTS, strategy, puzzles, racing/driving simulation. Im considering buying warhammer fantasy total war but im really cheap and havent seen it go for less than 40 USD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I don't mean to be snarky i really don't but it reads like "i tried these modern cash in sequels and they were all boring crap, what gives?"

You said it yourself you enjoyed the indie game more. Try dropping the brand association and pick things that arent a sequel selling you on the name on the box. There are plenty of games like Stardew valley and the Flame in the Flood i adored this year thus far while all the 'triple eh' sequelbait was by the numbers monotony. Take some risks and try new ips because sadly at this point very, very few existing ones are putting out quality sequels anymore.
    if you know an indie game as good as life is strange please alert me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    I had the same problem before I tried Dark Souls, and now Dark Souls is the only game that isn't purely online multiplayer that I can enjoy. Otherwise you could give things like Overwatch, CS:GO or BF1 a shot. Although only BF1 will really make use of your powerful hardware.

Upgrading your computer certainly won't make WoW any more enjoyable, it will look nicer sure, but the game is the same.. Unless you enjoy a game more based on how it looks, which is ridiculous in my opinion.
    I got bored of overwatch pretty quick and I do have a friend to play it with our favorite game mode is 3v3 arena. Csgo is my most played game on Steam followed by Cs source.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Then on the other hand, don't try Witcher 3, because it's an incredibly shallow game and the most overhyped product of the decade.
    I didnt like the witcher or the witcher 2 so I have great doubts about the third game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    You have to move up to VR, then.
    I dont have a VR headset and I cant name one VR exclusive title im dying to play.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AbortedGodFetus View Post
    This is why I ultimately transitioned over to console gaming.
    I swapped to PC gaming 5 years ago the last game I played on xbox 360 was Kingdoms of Amalur. Got 9 hours in then sold my copy on ebay. I dont have a ps3 or a ps4 or an xbox one. I sold all my xbox and xbox 360 and game cube games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Angeredsoul View Post
    Classic video game burnout. Go book a holiday and have a couple weeks away. Fixes it everytime for me.
    I get into a vicious cycle where I play no games at all or just wow or 1-2 games for 15 minutes at a time.

You might just need to look up other kind of game. Maybe give a shot a some of the most recent racing game? (not necessary simulation, maybe more like Burnout style) Get a steering wheel joystick, that would make it even better. (can we put Rocket League in racing games? ^^' )

Want some action rpg? Try Path of exile (and a new league start at the begining of march!)
    Warning about PoE : Until you get to act 3/act 4 depending on your build, the game will be very slow. When you get to end-game mapping you wont be able to see half the shit going on on screen.... It just takes time to "get there"

Fighting game?
    Rythmic game? (i suggest Osu! ) That shit is a classic case of "Just one more!" said every 5 minutes for 3 hours
    Last edited by Knaar; 2017-02-17 at 07:26 AM.

Deleted
    I can only play online games.. Mainly MMO. Single player games dosnt last more than a hour or two for me before I quit it..

I almost know what you mean, only that I am very aware and comfortable with my tastes.

My gaming is divided in three categories that together make the whole:

-- I have one long term MMO that is my "home" for gaming:
    I play WoW, because of the long-term relationships in my guild, the social dynamics and the feeling of being involved in an ever developing world. Also because I like the story, art, atmosphere - I've been a Warcraft fan since I was a kid seeing my dad play Warcraft 1. Most of all I have great fun raiding/m+. Beating challenges as a team is something that WoW delivers better than any other game. The effort to master your class, master encounters, keep improving is a great fun for me.

For a while I stopped playing WoW and moved to SWTOR, but the game lacks much more than it has. Voice acting and nice cinematics can carry an MMO only so far. Lack of content is death. My guild moved from SWOTR to WoW and never regretted it. We tried GW2 too, a nice game, but it has even less content than SWTOR.

-- Sometimes I want shorter, faster doses of adrenaline:
    Then I play League of Legends or Heroes of the Storm. I play Heartstone too until the thrill of its randomness becomes annoying, not adrenaline though, just a small dose of entertainment and diversity. Overwatch also falls here.

-- Single player "get lost in" experiences:
    Nothing beats BioWare's games for me here. They have made me feel emotions, cry or laugh with Mass Effect more strongly than any other game. I always look forward to their next title. As a single player I also include Starcraft 2, very much enjoyed it, but the multiplayer has become too mathematical and mechanical where you need to do exactly certain things very fast, no room for funny "freestyle" strategies that we used to do in the past.
    I played Stellaris a little, I really like sci-fi settings, but quickly the grand space feel gets replaced with "dry Civilization in space" style. I used to play Star Wars games, but we haven't seen anything nice lately.

-- Honorable mention from the past: Westwood's games.

And then again I don't play as much nowadays as I used to years ago. Comes with life I reckon.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

Really it sounds like you need a break from PC. Do you have any hobbies outside gaming? Maybe focus on RL stuff for a while and come back to games later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you try overhaul mods?

I find them more fun than most of the new games.

A few examples:
    Black Mesa (half life)
    Nehrim at fates edge (ES oblivion)
    The sith lords restored (Star wars knight of old republic 2)
    Mental omega (Ra2 yuris revenge)

Maybe check this list:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/top
    Don't sweat the details!!!

I've had a 980ti card and a system to match for almost 2 years now.

My gaming since i quit WoW consists entirely of Warcraft 3 / Morrowind modded / Baldurs Gate Saga/ Dungeon Keeper 2/ Max Payne Trilogy or having my girlfriend play Telltale games. (baby steps!)

It's not like i don't own the games to use it. I just don't play them. I love my classics too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Did you try overhaul mods?

I find them more fun than most of the new games.

A few examples:
    Black Mesa (half life)
    Nehrim at fates edge (ES oblivion)
    The sith lords restored (Star wars knight of old republic 2)
    Mental omega (Ra2 yuris revenge)

Maybe check this list:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/top
    If you love Warcraft 3....
    Hiveworkshop.com

There is your Warcraft 4.... and 5.... and 6 7 8 9 10 11 12.

You could find probably 30 campaigns at or above par blizzards quality but then content creators for Starcraft / Warcraft / Bethesda Games / Baldurs Gate

But yes TSLRCM is a big mod on the scene. Good mention
    Last edited by anaxie; 2017-02-17 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Yeah XIV is solid. Looking forward to the pre-expansion patch that's reducing the GCD significantly, as that's really my main issue with the game. Really looking forward to Stormblood. Also, still the best looking MMO on max settings IMO.
    i can find nothing about that gcd reduction, do you have a source?

Quote Originally Posted by Packing an i5 View Post
    I didnt like the witcher or the witcher 2 so I have great doubts about the third game.
    I can relate. I tried Witcher 2 after everyone told me it was awesome, and I just couldn't. I found it clunky and dull, the third one however, was amazing. It was like a breath of fresh air compared to other RPGs.

If you get the chance to pick it up for cheap, I'd give it a try, because Witcher 3 is pretty awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    People on either side of the political spectrum are no more or less sophisticated, rational, or logical than their ideological counterparts.

Deleted
    Got the same issue. The only game that keeps me staying is WoW. I played a few hundred matches of HotS > got bored. I played some of Diablo 3 > Got bored.
    Last game i really liked apart WoW was Bioshock Infinite. Still, after one playthrough i saw no reason to play more of it. Got Titanfall2 recently, played it a few days extensively because its a great game but then again got bored. Havent touched it for week now. I might buy Mass effect 4, looks quite promising.