Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Shouldn't free speech also be a cultural, personal and moral value?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Per the title, I'd like to discuss the growing trend in America to try and censor views that some people find disagreeable. Free speech is protected under the 1st Amendment as any speech that does not threaten or guarantee physical harm against someone. Let's discuss how important this right is to having a free society.
    "Free Speech" does not protect you as much as you think it does and most people misunderstand what protections there are.

most of the complaints about free speech end up involving private/public companies and not the govt...so really free speech does not apply.

I may not agree with what you say but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Saying it's okay to punch certain people is also free speech.
    I agree.

10 characters

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    No.

Why would that be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't free speech also be a cultural, personal and moral value?
    Nope, it was specifically designed as a protection from government not social consequences.

7+ Year Old Account
    Free speech is fine and dandy but you better not say anything we disagree with or we will respond with violence and rioting -

That's what people think about it now

I think you should be able to say whatever you want with the consequence of being an asshole for it, the double standard is what needs to go

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree.

10 characters
    So then what do you want to discuss here? We already have established threads on this topic and over the exact tweet you linked.

Why would that be?
    Because there are very good reasons to restrict speech on a personal level.

From another thread:

While I support 1st Amendment rights to free speech, I doubt a leftist asshole punching nazis would violate said amendment. Nazis are still able to preach their hateful views with an awesome new beauty mark added to his or her face and the person who threw the punch has moved in to a new home courtesy of the local police. It's a win win!

Joking aside, I don't really support violence.

Why would that be?
    Because if you walk into my place of business with a sandwich board sign that reads "I hate niggers" I want to be able to ask you to leave.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    Free speech is fine and dandy but you better not say anything we disagree with or we will respond with violence and rioting -

That's what people think about it now

I think you should be able to say whatever you want with the consequence of being an asshole for it, the double standard is what needs to go
    You mean like the Berkeley riots? I'm surprised the police didn't shut that down faster. They were vandalizing the university.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Because there are very good reasons to restrict speech on a personal level.
    And they are?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Because if you walk into my place of business with a sandwich board sign that reads "I hate niggers" I want to be able to ask you to leave.
    Is your place of business supposed to be a place of free exchange of ideas or a place to buy spiderman paraphernalia and knickknacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

And they are?
    The fact that not everyone is able to maintain civility when you prattle on in their ear with no way for them to remove themselves from your prattling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    The fact that not everyone is able to maintain civility when you prattle on in their ear with no way for them to remove themselves from your prattling.
    Someone being offended is not grounds for restricting expression. If it was, there would be grounds to censor almost everything.

Someone being offended is not grounds for restricting expression. If it was, there would be grounds to censor almost everything.
    I was referring to speech. Not the meaning of words.

Is your place of business supposed to be a place of free exchange of ideas or a place to buy spiderman paraphernalia and knickknacks?
    What does that matter?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    What does that matter?
    Theo confuses the actual, legal definition of free speech and their own personal one where you shouldn't be banned from anything ever because "free speech" is supposed to be this moral/cultural right.

If you own the business, or have the approval of the business owner then you can because it's technically considered your private space.

Per the title, I'd like to discuss the growing trend in America to try and censor views that some people find disagreeable. Free speech is protected under the 1st Amendment as any speech that does not threaten or guarantee physical harm against someone. Let's discuss how important this right is to having a free society.
    So what you're saying is you don't understand what free speech actually is. The government isn't censoring anyone. Free speech doesn't mean you get a podium to share your views and everyone else has to listen.