Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

What are the viable specs for raiding currently?

Are they all viable? I'm talking at a relatively decent level here, say top 75-200 world.

top 75-200 is just relatively decent?

All specs are viable for relatively decent raiding, if played correctly. For a top 75-200, that depends on the needs of the guild.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeCreeper View Post
    top 75-200 is just relatively decent?

All specs are viable for relatively decent raiding, if played correctly. For a top 75-200, that depends on the needs of the guild.
    Alright, thanks! Had a chat with a decent mage I know just now too, pretty much said the same as you, Legendaries factor in to it etc, but all are viable. Frost/Arcane it is! Never been a fan of fire.

Deleted
    It all depends legendaries + ap + relics but currently:
    * ST frost > arcane >>> fire
    * cleave fire ~ frost >>> arcane
    * aoe fire > arcane >>> frost

If you want to play only one spec and you have 0 legendaries I'd say go arcane because has the best tier bonuses and because cleave is not really necessary on nighthold

Quote Originally Posted by seijulala View Post
    It all depends legendaries + ap + relics but currently:
    * ST frost > arcane >>> fire
    * cleave fire ~ frost >>> arcane
    * aoe fire > arcane >>> frost

If you want to play only one spec and you have 0 legendaries I'd say go arcane because has the best tier bonuses and because cleave is not really necessary on nighthold
    And you may get arcane belt which is next to useless
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've found a bit of enjoyment playing arcane, but frost is much better at ST and fire is better at aoe. Arcane seems to be the do it all spec
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    if you really wanted to play for a top 200 guild, then you wouldn't be asking MMO-champion :P

Quote Originally Posted by Choloz View Post
    if you really wanted to play for a top 200 guild, then you wouldn't be asking MMO-champion :P
    idk about that one, there are plenty mages in top 200 around here... but on topic, the best specc for NH atm is frost, this might change for Tomb idk... you won't go wrong with either of the speccs tho, aslong as you have the right legendaries obviously..

Deleted
    I've been an officer in top 50 guilds mate. I've just been absent since MoP and brief stint in BRF, and have never mained a Mage before.

Short answer: none
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by Alth View Post
    Alright, thanks! Had a chat with a decent mage I know just now too, pretty much said the same as you, Legendaries factor in to it etc, but all are viable. Frost/Arcane it is! Never been a fan of fire.
    The issue you'll have with that, is that it's very hard to get accurate info on Frost/Arcane, as a lot of top mages are playing Fire. Because it was best at the start of the xpac and they all have legendaries for it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alth View Post
    I've been an officer in top 50 guilds mate. I've just been absent since MoP and brief stint in BRF, and have never mained a Mage before.
    i think you and the other guy are missing what i'm implying

i think you and the other guy are missing what i'm implying
    You're implying that he should be asking somewhere with more accurate information right? Like the mage discord?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    You're implying that he should be asking somewhere with more accurate information right? Like the mage discord?
    no try again

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post

I would however expect quite a few raid leaders to be somewhat reluctant to anything but fire.
    Quite the opposite. I personally like to see mages playing the other two specs. I recently started playing mage and after playing all 3 specs I decided to play frost. After speaking with a guild leader about a possible trial, he seemed excited that I was not going to play fire and I totally understand why.

no try again
    Aight, then it's your own poor communication lol

All 3 specs are viable

his point is that if you are knowledgeable/skilled enough you shouldnt have to ask the mmo-champ forum what mage spec is best. ya know, cuz you should have a good understanding of how to determine that for yourself based on game mechanics, etc.

You're mostly looking to ST/Cleave with Frost and everything else as Fire

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/11#class=Mage will help you help yourself

AP grind will be easier on you if you just do m+ as fire with a frost lootspec
    Last edited by Erolian; 2017-02-20 at 12:56 AM.

Agreed! Unfortunately with all the grind these are the best options.