Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Automation is inevitable and the way of the future. Companies will always do what they can to save costs. As with previous industries that have risen and fallen in the past, people need to adapt. That's the motif of life.

And it has nothing to do with a job economy being good or bad. Skilled labor is in high demand. There are a large number of economic indicators that would suggest that the economy is doing great. It's tough for unskilled laborers, but unskilled labor was never suggested to be an easy life.
    And it's going to get tougher for the people that make up the majority of the workforce, which means it's going to get tougher for just about everyone else when they either have to finance these people on welfare, or pay for them to be trained so they can compete for jobs in the skilled labor market, which don't exist to the extent that is necessary to provide everyone with a job. So it'll be either raise taxes on the middle-to-upper class, or train people to try and take your job who will do it for less.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    This may come as a newsflash to the OP but most, if not all brands that carry soda, also sell bottled water...
    This still doesn't detract from the fact that trying to be healthy by eating / drinking the right things is absurdly more expensive than eating bad. This goes for everything.

Want to ruin the planet? Go spend 30k for a car. Want to save the plantet? Buy an electrical car for 60k!

Well, that was all that was mentioned so far...

Perhaps you should elaborate...
    My primary concern would be where the line is drawn. Everything is made with sugar now a days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Odds are the sales are made up outside the city limits. Regulating in a bubble is hard to pull off when roads are plentiful and so is gas. It used to work better back in the day because it'd take a day to get anywhere.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    My primary concern would be where the line is drawn. Everything is made with sugar now a days.
    So your problem isn't with this tax, it's with the one you assume is coming without any information to support that this tax will be going down the slippery slope.

So you're concerned about shit that hasn't happened yet?

omg...I think you should be more concerned about your credibility at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    This still doesn't detract from the fact that trying to be healthy by eating / drinking the right things is absurdly more expensive than eating bad. This goes for everything.

Want to ruin the planet? Go spend 30k for a car. Want to save the plantet? Buy an electrical car for 60k!
    Some peoples argument seems to be that bad products should be taxed to be equal with good ones. I hope everyone likes it when all cars, no matter the type are that 60k.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not a big fan of taxing to control behavior. As much as people complain about the smallest infringement on freedoms, you'd think there would be more complaining about stuff like this. I know it's been done forever with cigarettes, but it still seems like a crappy way to go about it. Economically things like this are also not really fair, since the wealthy don't mind paying $8 for a pack of cigs, or $3 for a soda, but it's a big deal for lower income folks. It's also a slippery slope, since the government could extend it to anything they don't deem healthy; watching tv, playing video games, liquor (although they already do it with that), etc. Put a tax that doubles coffee and see people lose their minds. I get what their goal is and it is well-intentioned, but it crosses the line over to being intrusive into our personal freedoms and choice imo.

Plus these things don't really work in the long run anyway. A local town did something similar and all it did was push business to neighboring towns.

People become fatties because they don't exercise, not because they drink sodas.
    Diet is more of a factor than exercise.

Deleted
    Damn, thanks for reminding. I'm running low on soda, gotta go buy some on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Some peoples argument seems to be that bad products should be taxed to be equal with good ones. I hope everyone likes it when all cars, no matter the type are that 60k.
    Id rather all these be even so there are no more bullshit excuses. The world is just bass akwards. If it were a lot cheaper to eat healthy, more people would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Your post is simpleton level economics and not how things work.

They won't be buying as much soda so they now have more money to spend on other things. The consumption of soda falls and the consumption of other things rises. Workers shift from producing soda to producing other goods. Ergo, net job loss = zero.

Moreover we get a (slightly) more healthy population which should increase the overall efficiency of the system.
    You don't just automatically get hired for a job, and most places won't hire as many workers as another lets go. Even with an increase in profit, they'd be more likely to increase the workload on those already there, and bring in as few workers as necessary to keep up with demand, since the increases would likely be spread across the board to the point that hiring more than a couple new employees wouldn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Cars are taxed pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Diet is more of a factor than exercise.
    Yea. The due is off his hinges. Dieting is like 90% of losing weight. You can work out all day, but if you don't eat right, it won't matter. You won't lose anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Next lets have a sugar tax.
    actually historically there has been a sugar tax in many european countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    Id rather all these be even so there are no more bullshit excuses. The world is just bass akwards. If it were a lot cheaper to eat healthy, more people would do it.
    Yes, but bringing the price up on all things to match the currently expensive healthy options, is not going to be good for anyone without millions in the bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Cars are taxed pretty high.
    Not high enough, if you can buy rust bucket for some hundreds, instead of that very expensive electric. Make the rust buckets cost the same
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like less people are drinking syrupy sweet sodas...

How is this a bad thing?
    Because its not the governments job to tell you what you should drink, and they are NOT drinking less, they are just driving 5 miles out of the city to buy it

So you're concerned about shit that hasn't happened yet?
    Actually that is somewhat the definition of short sighted.

omg...I think you should be more concerned about your credibility at this point.
    Some of you are some angry bitter people. You literally lose your shit the moment someone doesn't have full compliance with your personal opinion.

Calm down Francis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I was hoping this would be because people want to stop being fatties, not because of a tax.

Oh well.
    Its none of your business nor the government's if someone wants to be "fat"

Actually that is somewhat the definition of short sighted.

Some of you are some angry bitter people. You literally lose your shit the moment someone doesn't have full compliance with your personal opinion.

Calm down Francis.
    No, people are just not entertained by crying foul with nothing to back it up. If you have a problem with something, tell us your problem with real events. If you're just crying to hear sound come out of your mouth and get your post count up, don't.