Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What Is *Real* News?

Honest question? If none of the media can be trusted then whats real news?
    I want to be informed but without any of that fake stuff.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

According to the White House the only way to get real news is to listen to Trump and his minions.

Everything that says how great trump is.

One way to determine real news is to stop trusting those who continually espouse factually incorrect information, and seem to have some sort of victim complex.

If only one individual/source is telling you that something is "true" or "real news" and LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE is "lying" or "fake news", does it make sense to listen to that individual?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Real news are those which..:

- can be confirmed from different independed sources (means sources outside of filter bubbles)
    - are without bias and split from comments
    - are sourced from news agencies or reporters which get confirmed by other reporters

So if you want to be safe about news, check different news sources. Always check for fakes on sites like snopes.com (or similiar).

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Real news is news that Trump agrees with. Also known as news that helps him in his desires.

Fake news is news that Trump doesn't agree with. Also known as news that doesn't help him in his desires.

Their is no real scorce. In a single story you can have 22 lines of fake news and 14 lines of real news depending on how the wind is blowing that day.

Deleted
    There is no such thing. Even the most honest reporter or agency is simply incapable of reporting anything with 100% accuracy and all important details.

Generally I hear what people keep screaming about is "Fake News" and then go look up that stuff. Since it usually is stuff that is posting information Turnip doesn't like, which is automatically more reliable than him.

I wonder how long until he throws Fox News under the bus too, as they have been slowly turning against him.

Soon the entire media will be fake news. He's almost there. Almost full dictator mode.

Well, it's an interesting question. I personally think Fake news is being thrown around a way too freely nowadays. There is a bias news story, news with an angle to it. It seems in some cases, there are stories that aren't really news, but are presented as if it's important news and that's now getting called fake news. I remember many years ago, after Reagan got shot and they talked about him in the hospital and they reported he had a successful bowel movement and I remember Mom laughing, saying "Yeah that's something we really needed to know".

Nowadays while we're all riding on the Trump train, it seems we need to be flooded non-stop with everything he does, and a chunk of it just seems like it's not really news, it's just complaints about what he is doing.

I think about all you can do is know what media outlets have what slants and if you see a story that is seems really outlandish, try checking for other sources and see how they report it. CNN, sometimes really likes to make stories emotional, even at the expense of skewing the story to where it's almost a lie. I like the way their webpage is laid out, I just hate the way they do some of the stories.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    There is no such thing. Even the most honest reporter or agency is simply incapable of reporting anything with 100% accuracy and all important details.
    This is wrong. Actually, truth exists.

We are not in Orwells dystopia (yet).

Go to a left wing forum and read about the topic.

Then go to a right wing forum and read about the topic.

If they both agree on the topic, then chances are its legit.

Associated Press, AP, is real news. They sell their articles to thousands of media outlets so they remove as much bias as they can

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/fronts/...P&SECTION=HOME

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It's interesting how this "fake news" stuff came about at a time when the major media outlets are enjoying their lowest public trust ratings (at least according the the Pew Poll) in polling history.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    This is wrong. Actually, truth exists.

We are not in Orwells dystopia (yet).
    Truth and news are different things.

You can report a 'truth' that a cop brutally killed someone, but you can report an honest 'news' that said someone was ten times more violent before cop had to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    News that has multiple sources.

I try to find the most biased and openly biased sources possible, then decode what's impossible/unplausible/unlikely, then contrast that with people who share the opposite biases, and filter through to what really happened.

Deleted
    Truth and news are different things.
    If it is real news, then no.

You can report a 'truth' that a cop brutally killed someone, but you can report an honest 'news' that said someone was ten times more violent before cop had to do it.
    You dont talk about news, but about bias.

And no, not every press is biased. As the real press splits comment from news.

The typical answer you'll get, unfortunately: "Any news that confirms what I already believe is real news, everything else is fake".
    "That shit went down faster than a gold digger on a dying rich dude".

myth, legend, fantasy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmoden View Post
    The typical answer you'll get, unfortunately: "Any news that confirms what I already believe is real news, everything else is fake".
    That would be called a "filter bubble".