Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Won't be long before someone mentions her book being about "witchcraft"

But it's actually kinda interesting to see what her reply will be.

She's a billionaire after all. Let's see if she really is going to help the refugees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Actually yes that's exactly why I'm pro-choice. You either offer to adopt the children that would be aborted yourself or shut-up. The same goes for those that are pro-refugee. You either offer to take them in yourself or you're a hypocrite.
    TBH, if there was a situation where YOU would face 2 young children, and their parents, and you had to make a choice:
    1. Send them off to die
    2. Help them

You would choose 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy View Post
    What does it have to do with the point of the topic?
    Yes, I get it. Logical deductive reasoning is hard for some people....

People who pay taxes are effectively funding what that tax money is spent on. They should have more say in how it is spent. JKR by virtue of paying a lot more taxes than you IS paying for these solutions. She doesn't need to accept strangers into her own home in order to put her money where her mouth is. She has ALREADY put her money where her mouth is....

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post

She's a billionaire after all. Let's see if she really is going to help the refugees.
    Actually she is no longer a billionaire, having given so much money to charities.

Deleted
    So she made few douche bags uncomfortable with her view and they act with passive agrresion, like some butthurt kidos. Nothing new under sun. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post

People who pay taxes are effectively funding what that tax money is spent on. They should have more say in how it is spent. JKR by virtue of paying a lot more taxes than you IS paying for these solutions. She doesn't need to accept strangers into her own home in order to put her money where her mouth is. She has ALREADY put her money where her mouth is....
    So are you saying that people that pay more taxes should have more of a say in the policies of the state that they are paying the taxes to?
    If yes - how do you think it should be calculated?
    Should you get a vote for every thousand dollars of your tax money?
    And then the people that are on wellfare - don't get to vote at all unless they actually pay back the society?

Does the opinion of a person that makes more money automatically become more valuable than the person that is making less?

Should we, then, be taking decisions based on who is making how much money?

Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy View Post
    And yet I almost certainly have grown more potatoes that she would in an hour.
    What does it have to do with the point of the topic?
    If the whining is that she should put up money to pay for it, then it would appear that she has already put up a ton of money to pay for it.

If we're going to say that people should only pave to pay for the things they want, I'm all for it. It would get rid of taxation, and push personal responsibility. So, give her back the tens of millions she's paid in taxes, and see how much she wants to give to help refugees and immigrants.

10+ Year Old Account

Careful now.
    While I do agree with the general sentiment of your post, saying that the political opinions of rich people matter more just because they're rich flies in the very face of democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post

I believe her tax dollars can speak for themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    Careful now.
    While I do agree with the general sentiment of your post, saying that the political opinions of rich people matter more just because they're rich flies in the very face of democracy.
    Taxing wealthy people at a higher rate also flies in the face of democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    That reminds me of my grandmother. She is super afraid that if we take in too many refugees and if there is not enough housing space available, the general population will be forced to take in some of them into their own private homes.
    I tried to explain to her that this is far-fetched and not going to happen, but to no real avail.
    Try another angle then. Tell her that when the government will introduce the next obvious step of forced conversions to Islam she won't mind it anymore because the migrants will be her Muslim brethren. Unless the topic wasn't about Muslim migrants, then I'm out of ideas due to lacking more context.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    How?
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2017-02-20 at 01:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

This is about the same as saying anyone who does not enlist in the military cannot be in favor of our armed forces. If the government is going to forcibly take tax dollars from you, you can say where you think that money should be spent. If she says she would like her tax dollars to be spent to help immigrants and refugees, then she has already demonstrated her support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Explain to me how. Because last time I checked, democracy was:

Democracy (Greek: δημοκρατία, Dēmokratía literally "rule of the commoners"), in modern usage, is a system of government in which the citizens exercise power directly or elect representatives from among themselves to form a governing body, such as a parliament.
    No consensus exists on how to define democracy, but legal equality, political freedom and rule of law have been identified as important characteristics.

What exactly does it have to do with taxation? Taxation is something that's decided in the democratic process.

When did UK become an oligarchy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Try another angle then. Tell her that when the government will introduce the next obvious step of forced conversions to Islam she won't mind it anymore because the migrants will be her Muslim brethren. Unless the topic wasn't about Muslim migrants, then I'm out of ideas due to lacking more context.

How?
    Why should some people be forced to pay more for the exact same government?

And in my country, we aren't democratic at all. We've already decided that some people's votes are worth more than others. They did not base it on wealth, they based it on which state they live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    envy
    noun
    mass noun

1 A feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else's possessions, qualities, or luck.
    You actually misread my part due to your personal interpretation of my tone that wasnt there. Just wanted to point that out. Got to know the person, on a personal level to hate, resent or even feel jealous.

I almost got fired from my job the other week because some manager or an assistant called in a complaint about me laughing in their face when they tried to impress me by offering me a meeting and/or picture with the great Taye Diggs. "yeahno, he likes to poke guys in their back. no thank you. unappreciated.".
    Last edited by Wallmaker Yahzarah; 2017-02-20 at 01:49 PM. Reason: mispell
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    Explain to me how. Because last time I checked, democracy was:

Democracy (Greek: δημοκρατία, Dēmokratía literally "rule of the commoners"), in modern usage, is a system of government in which the citizens exercise power directly or elect representatives from among themselves to form a governing body, such as a parliament.
    No consensus exists on how to define democracy, but legal equality, political freedom and rule of law have been identified as important characteristics.

What exactly does it have to do with taxation? Taxation is something that's decided in the democratic process.
    And the results of a "democratic" process are often very skewed and biased. In my country, we have the Electoral College, which goes against democracy. It has already decided that some people's votes are worth more than others. Since the system is already not democratic, they continue to push more undemocratic laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the alt-right are so keen to look after their own, when will they begin to take in the homeless to their own homes?

False equivalency is always such an entertaining but idiot thing to see.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sail into the wind View Post
    Immigration is a complex issue, let's NOT look to mainstream children book authors to solve that one. Especially when they don't really believe any of what they spout in the first place.
    Nobody is looking to JK Rowling to solve a problem. She stated an opinion that some people disagree with, and those people, as they always do, sperged out in butthurtedness.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallmaker Yahzarah View Post
    You actually misread my part due to your personal interpretation of my tone that wasnt there. Just wanted to point that out. Got to know the person, on a personal level to hate, resent or even feel jealous.
    I have possibly misread you. I multi-quoted to not to point out any single comment and I simply indicated the general impression this thread was giving me. I admit I wasn't particularly meticulous.