Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    He is talking about ad revenue from youtube. Nintendo is making claims on his video/s.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I get from the video. nintendo is issuing a copyright against at least one of his videos. He is in turn using the logic, "since they do it to me, it's ok for you to do it to them."
    Basically Nintendo tries to twist the laws in their favor even when fair use is in play, this basically locks the videos from ever giving you any ad revenue or if you give in, then Nintendo will forcefully put ads in your video, regardless if you want them or not.
    On the other hand, Nintendo tries to use the law and tell people that any form of using their content in any way (Fan projects, Emu, roms) are wrong, but will have no trouble doing everything in their power to fuck you over if there's a 2 second clip of pokemon in your video, even if it's fair use. They steal from you, but do everything in their power to stop people stealing from their them.

Nintendo, specifically Nintendo Japan, is legendary for flailing every copyright infringe penalty available to them at ANY video that even remotely mentions Nintendo or uses any footage from any Nintendo game. They do this with the full knowledge that most of it probably isn't justified and won't stick, but do it anyways because they can. It's pretty messed up.

Having said that... I don't agree with Jim. Although if it were my videos I can't promise my view would stay that way.

Edit: Damn these slow hands, everyone beat me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    aH yes, the Y chromosome, noted summoner of rape demons from the misogyny dimension.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Only idiots think it is.
    And some idiots even believe that ones and zeros can be owned by an entity.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    but he's dead how would you get permission?
    From whoever has the legal right to his estates.

Deleted
    Arre you suggesting digital entities shouldnt be able to be copyright protected?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    I wouldn't go quite that far. The topic of morality/ethics and piracy is actually an interesting area. At least, it is in my humble opinion.

As for this video... if it can honestly be summed up as "Nintendo hurts my wallet by being jerks with their copyright claims on YouTube, so I can pirate all of their games with reckless abandon", then I'd have to say that the guy making the video is a moron.

He is actually taking it a step further by telling everyone they have the right to do it.

Deleted
    With your mindset you could argue that nothing can be owned by anyone. But that's not how the world works.

7+ Year Old Account
    He is actually taking it a step further by telling everyone they have the right to do it.
    That's even more reason for me to think the guy is off his rocker for the topic at hand.

The entire premise just falls flat for me, honestly. You don't get to do whatever you please as a retaliatory action simply because you feel like you've been wronged. Trying to get others on the bandwagon just makes it seem like you're seeking validation in your stance to me. ("You" = Mr. Sterling, in this instance.)

paraphrasing.

Nintendo does it to me(through youtube copyright). so it's ok for you to do it to nintendo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Basically, Nintendo is very possessive of its content on Youtube. If you use footage of their games in a video, even like 10 seconds of a trailer, they can and will use ContentId to monetize the entire video themselves even if the copyrighted footage is literally 1/20th of the video's length. Which of course means the person who puts up the video doesn't make money off it anymore, or in the case of Jim Sterling who doesn't monetize his videos, they have Nintendo-profiting ads slapped on a video that's meant to be ad-free.

Youtube content creators don't like that, arguing (with reason, IMO) that using game footage as part of their critique falls under Fair Use, a known part of copyright law; basically, since they use the footage to generate content of their own, it shouldn't be property of Nintendo any longer. Nintendo doesn't agree, and the only way to use their games in your videos is become a glorified employee for them as you give them a huge chunk of the ad revenue you make out of your videos through their Partners program.

Part of the problem is that Youtube (well, Google I suppose) is pretty hands-off when it comes to policing that stuff, relying on automated systems, with all the pitfalls this entails.

All that said, Jim Sterling is fairly notorious for being a bit of an internet rabble rouser, and his logic is little more ''they do it to me, so do it to them''. Make of that stance what you will.
    Oh.

I don't agree that pirating is okay for the reason given, then.

Actually the more I think about it, the more the logic actually makes sense. "I made a video with some use of Nintendo's game. Nintendo is making money off my video. I should get to take X game for free, since it's the reason Nintendo is making money off the video."

I can see that.

People spin their shittiness all the time.

Doesn't make you any less morally bankrupt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't even have to watch the video.

I disagree. I don't think it is ever right to take/use someone else's work/creation, with out compensation or permission.

now brb as I watch :P

2 wrongs don't make a right.
    doesn't matter if it's "morally right" what matters is the law. looks like i'll be unsubbing from his channel then since i don't condone digital theft.

- - - Updated - - -

isn't that illegal to incite people to do illegal acts?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Basically Nintendo tries to twist the laws in their favor even when fair use is in play, this basically locks the videos from ever giving you any ad revenue or if you give in, then Nintendo will forcefully put ads in your video, regardless if you want them or not.
    On the other hand, Nintendo tries to use the law and tell people that any form of using their content in any way (Fan projects, Emu, roms) are wrong, but will have no trouble doing everything in their power to fuck you over if there's a 2 second clip of pokemon in your video, even if it's fair use. They steal from you, but do everything in their power to stop people stealing from their them.
    that's because youtube has a really terrible copyright enforcement system.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    I disagree with him, in a broad sense and also because his reasoning is ridiculous. That said, when it comes to piracy I'll do it anyway, I just have no desire for self-righteousness and accept that many things I do benefit myself at the expense of other people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Didn't get that part with ads and Nintendo published games. I don't have Nintendo but by his story, Nintendo is only company that has Ads during gameplay. Which of course, I far believe it's true.
    konami also slaps ads on ad free videos just saying....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    doesn't matter if it's "morally right" what matters is the law. looks like i'll be unsubbing from his channel then since i don't condone digital theft.

- - - Updated - - -

isn't that illegal to incite people to do illegal acts?

- - - Updated - - -

that's because youtube has a really terrible copyright enforcement system.
    He is kinda covering himself by also saying "I'm not really telling you to" , but......

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Ok then but that does not make him right to say "fuck you to Nitendo" but to youtube.

I'm not trying to say if he right. imo he is in the wrong for making this video.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    When it comes to nintendo and their stupid region lock, i support it.
    uhm i thought they were getting rid of that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    I disagree with him, in a broad sense and also because his reasoning is ridiculous. That said, when it comes to piracy I'll do it anyway, I just have no desire for self-righteousness and accept that many things I do benefit myself at the expense of other people.

A Pirate I can respect for once. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    He is kinda covering himself by also saying "I'm not really telling you to" , but......

I'm not trying to say if he right. imo he is in the wrong for making this video.
    jim is really pressing his luck since if they decided to take him to court over it and found a sympathetic judge he could end up in a lot of trouble since it could be interpreted either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    uhm i thought they were getting rid of that?
    Not on 3ds.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    jim is really pressing his luck since if they decided to take him to court over it and found a sympathetic judge he could end up in a lot of trouble since it could be interpreted either way.

This could be interesting if Nintendo decides to act. I'm not sure he understands the fine line he is treading atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    This could be interesting if Nintendo decides to act. I'm not sure he understands the fine line he is treading atm.
    nintendo is quite litigious and if push comes to shove youtube may just drop him from their program they have with him (and i think a couple others) when dealing with lawsuits. at this point i'm no longer sure if jim's on screen arrogance is just a facade or if he truly is that arrogant. also why does his video talk about something that "allegedly" happened but then he's talking about it as if it's fact? i'm confused. he does it several times in this video. wtf. that's not journalism that speculation.
    also from what i'm hearing in the video he's flat out saying it's morally ok to pirate video games.....ignoring the fact that he's under a partnership...and that the law doesn't really care about his opinion of if it's right or wrong.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2017-02-20 at 07:41 PM.