8 10.67%

9 12.00%

19 25.33%

6 8.00%

13 17.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia Dawnseeker View Post
    Just so that people are aware, we are covered all the way to Day #176 (including SPECIAL Days.)

I think we are going on an acceptable rate, so don't be shy to nominate folks.
    Why no one vote Reshad? ;c

Percy will get sad... *squawk!*

Anyway, with both Varimathras and Balnazzar in, I'll nominate Detheroc.

Can Thal'kiel be nominated or is he restricted to the weapons game?

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    3 for personality. Nominating Sylvanas.

Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    Being a racist towards elves and dwarves that really wanted to help him / accepting Sylvanas' offer without hesitation. It shows how well this character is NOT written. 1/10
    Do you mean not well written?

Because if that's what you mean, then I would say that he's written as a pure, standard racist. Since what you described sounds like something a racist would do to me, I think that while he isn't that interesting and deep of a racist, he is acting almost flawlessly for his supposed role.

He's the embodiment of generic nazi #2639.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Kalec View Post
    He is written though...
    Can you NOT be a smartass from time to time?

Deleted
    @Starshade I mean... he's a racist towards elves and dwarves but is totally fine siding with forsaken even though all of his human "comrades" (including Kristoff, another scum) were against it? That's an awful writing.

I've thought my sentence was clear but yeah, it can mean two things, lol. Or maybe it doesn't follow grammar rules at all? English is not my native language.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Starshade View Post
    Can you NOT be a smartass from time to time?
    I see what you did there.

In seriousness, @Roudene to be honest I was being a smartass, I understood what you meant from the beginning don't worry; your point came across. I find myself agreeing with her,however; Garithos is far, far from being a unique character but he did serve the purpose he was supposed to serve well, and the way he acts is simply that of a generic racist. The guy is actually somewhat too real its scary in the sense that you can't find a single redeeming quality about him as a person, but he is actually written to be that way, which worked well.

Siding with the Forsaken was just a story telling tool to deliver a justified ending to him, and I know I have always viewed it as such. Remind me of something because the details escape me - why did that happen to begin with? Wasn't he kind of forced to? If not, it could easily be viewed as being a greedy bastard, thinking that he could benefit from it, adding more to his son of a bitch piece of shit persona.

edit - It's actually kind of funny because that last paragraph is very similar to the character @Starshade role plays (the one in her avatar) in that regard, about stopping at nothing when it comes to greediness. She isn't a terrible person like Garithos, but simply very antagonistic with high family/tradition values that don't stop her from being a hypocrite at times when her greediness is invoked - it is quite the interesting character if I may say so myself.
    Last edited by mmoc4dd871e486; 2017-02-22 at 12:53 PM.

I've thought my sentence was clear but yeah, it can mean two things, lol. Or maybe it doesn't follow grammar rules at all? English is not my native language.
    It was. He's just being his usual jolly self. English is neither mine nor his first language either. Don't worry about it, really.

Although:

@Starshade I mean... he's a racist towards elves and dwarves but is totally fine siding with forsaken even though all of his human "comrades" (including Kristoff, another scum) were against it? That's an awful writing.
    This part was addressed perfectly by Kalec in my opinion, and I don't think I can add anything I could say he didn't say better. I simply have to agree with the notion of while that might not be the case, it is a very plausible explanation in my eyes.

@Archmage Kalec I appreciate your words, and I see your parallels, but I don't see Lae, who you can call out on being a bit racist, siding with the Forsaken in a similar situation even if it would quinch her greed. The comparison remains valid though, and very appreciated.
    Last edited by Starshade; 2017-02-22 at 01:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    You know, seeing that garithose abilities made him into some dark version of paladin i guess we could say he was...

...alt-righteous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    You know, seeing that garithose abilities made him into some dark version of paladin i guess we could say he was...

...alt-righteous.
    It does get my interest that he is even classified as a "dark knight" in game, which makes me wonder whether or not that it is an acceptable class to role play as. A dark knight seems like something more acceptable in Final Fantasy than in WoW, like Cecil and the playable class that was based on him in the MMO.

Is there any other dark knights, or at least similar characters in lore that are escaping my mind?
    Last edited by mmoc4dd871e486; 2017-02-22 at 01:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Kalec View Post
    It does get my interest that he is even classified as a "dark knight" in game. which makes me wonder whether or not that it is an acceptable class to role play.

Is there any other dark knights, or at least similar characters in lore that are escaping my mind?
    I think he was same as scarlet crusade - asshole paladin but still paladin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I think he was same as scarlet crusade - asshole paladin but still paladin.
    His abilities in the game weren't shadow based, too. I think he was a paladin with a shockwave or something.

Interesting, seriously.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Othmar_Garithos

Sadly does not list his abilities.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    It was something like flash of light (the pala ability), some aura (either paladin of tauren chieftain one don't really remember). No idea about other two.

Edit: Found them

Holy Light
    Shockwave
    Devotion Aura

So yeah 2 paladin abilities.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I freaking HATE this guy. Seriously, HE WAS THE WORST. Racist sonofabitch that made me angry from the first second that i've heard his annoying voice.

-55/10

Fuck this guy with scissors.

I like him just because he's the injection of realism that Alliance desparetly needed. In Horde-Alliance dynamics almost always Alliance is the wise one trying to keep the angry "warmongering" Hordies in check. Every faction has it's extremists and nationalists and it's feels wrong to depict them like they don't and like they're perfect unified collective of different races with no one having differences of opinion and they're always in complete consensus on everything.

I would love if he, or someone like him, is currently prominent figure in Alliance just to give them a wilder side instead of like 10 leaders who're all wisdom incarnate goodie two shoes.

He is character that was meant to be disliked. His purpose was in showing us that it's not always orcs who are "evil" and that when cornered (Lorderon's destruction) humans can be as vile as orcs when survival is at stake.

I give him 9/10 for stepping away from Alliance human good guy stereotype and showing us something different.
    Last edited by Dagoth Ur; 2017-02-22 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Zanjin View Post
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/Othmar_Garithos

Sadly does not list his abilities.
    Inside his WoWpedia link is a link to his class in WCIII.

He had a really cool set of abilities, as mentioned before.

6/10

This guy is supposed to be very unlikable, so if you hate him then gj Blizzard. It doesn't mean that he should instantly get a low rating though. I'd say that at the time of WC3, it was rather interesting to see a whole different human character who's not so Holier-than-thou like most paladins, but rather have a very egomaniac personality. I do think that some of his hatred against the blood elves seemed overblown, which is apparent in the tower defense mission of the blood elf campaign where he was willing to blow up a lot of his own forces just to close down a portal. And even after him being so mad at the blood elves for accepting help from the naga, he had no problems working with the Forsaken, who were a lot more evil at the time. He even stood right beside Sylvanas and Varimathras during Balnazzars execution, being so naive to think that she would just give him the Plaguelands. No even having an army of himself as backup or anything. This also makes me wonder what happened to Garithos' forces after the campaign, I always assumed that they are actually the Scarlet Crusade because they both share those racist traits. I like that they gave him a bit of backstory as to why he acts like he does, I would've liked to see him in any way in WoW. But as of now the guy isn't even mentioned as far as I know.

Deleted
    I think that people tend to mistake "i hate him" with "he is badly written" a lot it's hilarious.

The fact that you hate a character that is billed as a piece of shit means that he was billed successfully as such, period.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Garithos served his purpose perfectly for what he was. Still hate him though, which is why I scored him so low. I just can't bring myself to vote him higher.

7+ Year Old Account
    Being a racist towards elves and dwarves that really wanted to help him / accepting Sylvanas' offer without hesitation. It shows how well this character is NOT written. 1/10
    being a racist asshole =/= bad writing.

he's a fine character with fine story, he served his purpose and pretty well at that, he's a character that's supposed to be hated by most.

we need more of his kind, i would hate each and every one of those, but we really need more.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2017-02-22 at 07:09 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Garithos served his purpose perfectly for what he was. Still hate him though, which is why I scored him so low. I just can't bring myself to vote him higher.
    I voted him low too, don't get me wrong. I am talking about the principle.