Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    If she wasn't representing the Iranian state then I'd understand the confusion.

Let's highlight she's expelled from the "national" team.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    How would you feel if the Obama administration had unilaterally placed a temporary ban on the sale of firearms in this country, so that they could work to put a new system in place, to make sure only good people owned guns? How would you feel if that administration also stated they may extend the ban if they felt they needed more time?

I don't know about you, but I would be pretty damn concerned for people's freedoms.

We don't have any real evidence to show that the current system is not working, that's the thing.
    I don't equate being detrimental to American citizens (and destroying an Amendment right) to holding up people who are NOT American citizens. It's not an equal comparison and you know it.

Immigrants that aren't citizens aren't entitled the same rights American citizens are. We certainly will do our best to help them but our priority should always be the safety and well being of the US first. As long as we can ensure that those people aren't a threat and that they will be a valuable addition to our society then they can most certainly work towards becoming a citizen.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    Next level oppression right there.
    "You can go to that place but we're watching you. Closely".
    I feel more people should read "1984".

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm sure you want to think that.
    But you're deflecting (a common thing around here).
    >thinks people should obey all the laws of a country, even the ones that are actual no-nonsense on-the-fucking-books misogyny; not the made-up microagressions experienced in western countries
    >thinks people have the right to enter a country illegally and live there

It's okay, I understand how cognitive impairment would prevent you from making equivalencies and drawing your own conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    I don't equate being detrimental to American citizens (and destroying an Amendment right) to holding up people who are NOT American citizens. It's not an equal comparison and you know it.

Immigrants that aren't citizens aren't entitled the same rights American citizens are. We certainly will do our best to help them but our priority should always be the safety and well being of the US first. As long as we can ensure that those people aren't a threat and that they will be a valuable addition to our society then they can most certainly work towards becoming a citizen.
    I'm more of a fan of freedoms than I am of rights. Freedoms are universal, rights are granted by a state. I equate it to the gun issue, because our nation would almost certainly be safer if all firearms were confiscated. Of course, that's not a country I would want to live in, but many would have no problem with it.

I wonder if this was a European country, and the rule was knee length skirts, if certain people would still be ok with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    How do you make it out the door alive, that much ignorance must be suffocating.
    Explain which part of that was ignorance?

10+ Year Old Account
    What part d'you think ace, I'd go with "all" and "of it".
    I said "Explain" which part was. Saying "all of it" without actually explaining why just makes you look like you don't actually have a point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    What kind of dumb question is this? She was representing her country, and chose to not follow their tradition when doing so, so she was removed from their team. It doesn't matter what country she was in.

Why is this even a thread?
    Because Iran is a conservative hotbutton.

But with that said, I do agree that Iran flipping out over a woman not wearing a fucking headscarf is archaic and stupid and has no place in the modern world. Especially when said woman isn't in their country.

But . . . their team, their rules. Their stupid, backwards, medieval, misogynistic rules.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    One calling Iran a shithole, Two calling her someones property.
    1. Is self-explanatory if you've ever actually read anything about or known people from Iran in the last 20 years. 2. Said country treats Women as Property.

Still you haven't explained why it is ignorant you just repeated what I had already said and said "YOU CAN'T CONFIRM THIS!" and bringing up "news stations" as if they have any relevance to what I said.

Also, not up to me to "prove" anything. It is up to you to Prove otherwise, which you seem to be unable to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/i.../1/887830.html

So these offences didnt even happen in Iran.. Yet they still get punished?
    Tyrants gonna tyrant.

How fucking dumb to you have to be, to get this concerned about what hats people wear? It's hard to take you seriously, planet Earth. Go home, you're drunk.

I do find the feminist support of these type of policies to be confusing, however.
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2017-02-22 at 11:51 PM.

Misogyny is fine and dandy so long as Islam does it, eh leftists? Yay multiculturalism!

- - - Updated - - -

What a pile of utter wank.

Iran's anything but a shit hole, its a vastly beautiful and charitable country, that suffers from border problems and a crap government, something Im sure you can relate to being an American. I've been literally all over the country and I've never understood the absolute propaganda it receives from the press.

Said country does not treat women as property, infact for a while now an increasing number of Iranians have been choosing their own partners, additionally human rights in Iran only deteriorated because of your government, but they are being clawed back, and they are no where near as bad as some countries like Saudi that your PM loves so much. Furthermore your own country is currently trying to treat women as baby factories so its a tad ironic.

Its ignorant because you are talking shite without backing up your claims, you cant just say "X is shit" and be justified in your opinion, thats not how it works.

But yeah as prophesised you havent explained your bullshit, you've just added more white noise to the post, which you'll no doubt respond with next.
    Here's a good article from the right wing proganda site human rights watch.org
    https://www.hrw.org/news/2015/10/28/womens-rights-iran

But I really shouldn't have bothered, it appears your claimed anecdotal experiences invalidate everything contrary.

Its Iran, the sooner we aren't dependent on oil, sooner we can ignore the whole region.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyflute View Post
    When someone says why is this even a thread, it makes me wonder inside if they are stupid or just passive aggressive. If you don't think this deserves mention, why are you responding? Are you so timid that you have to resort to half baked gestures?

A brilliant chess player is being reprimanded for not hiding her hair. That is news. A regime isn't permanent, and all rules aren't sacrosanct.

I agree. Good for her.
    As someone who agrees "good for her", I still don't understand the shock and surprise of some people in the tgread

Lol at people defending Iran. People will go to any length to defend the hijab these days. Too fucking funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Incredibly stupid decision... She was supposed to represent the best her country has to offer intellectually, but instead the government decided to represent the worst her country has to offer culturally, as well as weaken their national team.

That's the problem of holding a totalitarian society: eventually you have to start shooting yourself in the foot, to appease the brainwashed population you yourself raised.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Its Iran, the sooner we aren't dependent on oil, sooner we can ignore the whole region.
    We export oil and we don't import any from Iran.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    We export oil and we don't import any from Iran.
    we do import fossil fuels from the middle east and it was more of a general sentiment then direct iran one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    we do import fossil fuels from the middle east and it was more of a general sentiment then direct iran one.
    Love "general statements" about complex and nuanced geo-political situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    It is not at all uncommon for national teams to have clothing requirements.
    It is when its only required for one gender. Imagine the outrage if America required only its black chess players to wear gloves.