Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    Wealthy californians pay for, say, plumbing in Utah. Yeah, does not help californians one bit, but helps those red utah folk a bunch. It's actual expenditure. You can try to sugar coat it all you like, but that fancy avatar is not gonna carry you too far, tijuana-man.
    What federal fund covers plumbing, in your mind? Do you understand that nearly all infrastructure is managed locally? Do you even taxes, bro?

This should have been built 35 years ago. it is long long overdue

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    I wouldn't send a billion dollars to a state that wants to secede. Audit is a good idea to make sure Pelosi isn't lining her husbands pockets again...
    But let's applaud Trump for doing the same thing, blatantly and unapollegtically. Because when a Republican (or someone who decides to be a Republican because he knows he can manipulate them with ease; which is saying a lot considering what an idiot Trump is) does it, it's the American dream. Fuck dem liberalz in Cali! Rawwrrr!
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

hopefully its to investigate Pelosi on alleged Bribery charges. we should know more soon.

This does not help Trump. Clearly fake news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azelas View Post
    Blue state doesn't get infrastructure.
    They still pay for them, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    How does light rail for wealthy Californians benefit someone in say, Utah? Someone in Utah can use the highways to travel to other places. This is not true of this expenditure.

Bottom line, good for Chao. She made a smart call, to put this pork to an end. I'm sure there is more to come.
    If you're going to bitch about federal money on state level infrastructure California is the wrong state to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Probably wanna hand out the contract to particular friends of the new administration as opposed to friends of the old one. Standard corruption in place, nothing new here.
    This one sounds about right. I'll be on the lookout for that to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Actually they can

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/20...spending-trump

California pays about 13 percent of all federal taxes and receives about 11 percent of federal expenditures. It's one of 11 states with a deficit between what it pays the feds and what it gets back

An accumulation of data from various sources shows that California routinely pays more in federal taxes than it receives in federal spending. A 2015 study by the New York state comptroller found that in 2013 Californians paid $9,086 per capita in federal taxes and received $9,040 per capita in federal spending—or about 99 cents of spending for every tax dollar. (This is an improvement: The Tax Foundation found that California received about 78 cents in spending for every tax dollar in 2005, and Census and IRS data showed the state getting back 87 cents on the dollar in 2010.) In comparison, the average state gets about $1.29 in federal money for every dollar it
    I wonder how well those companies that pay so much in taxes will fare when they lose federal copyrights and patents? You know since you don't need the federal government anymore. I wonder how California's inflated housing market will fare without federally backed banks? I wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    I wonder how well those companies that pay so much in taxes will fare when they lose federal copyrights and patents? You know since you don't need the federal government anymore. I wonder how California's inflated housing market will fare without federally backed banks? I wonder...
    With their size they could accomplish these things with ease since they make up 11% of the very budget that supports these programs and protections.

The federal govt and the other 38 states would have to figure out of to cover the loss of .ca revenue that helps support them.

If they were their own country they would be in the top 15 in the world.

Job creation is the need of the hour. what are they doing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    With their size they could accomplish these things with ease since they make up 11% of the very budget that supports these programs and protections.

The federal govt and the other 38 states would have to figure out of to cover the loss of .ca revenue that helps support them.

If they were their own country they would be in the top 15 in the world.
    100% delusional.

Misguided.

Cherry picked information pulled completely out of context.

What California is able to produce is due largely to being part of the U.S. and in all these calculations, no one tries to quantify it.

You also completely ignored the question.

If a company like Apple who makes the majority of its money off of the BRAND and not necessarily the quality of its product. What happens when that BRAND is no longer protected? I'll tell you... Samsung capitalizes and becomes the #1 tech company in the world.

What about Disney and the copyrights and the money it makes which equates to Tax revenue off of LICENSING its BRAND.

How about the music industry? The film industry? All largely centered in California. When they are no longer FEDERALLY protected where do they make their money?

You also have to take into account that the U.S. isn't going to trade with a country it is at war with. So you lose a huge consumer.

Money. The U.S. dollar will become completely WORTHLESS in California. Our current monetary system isn't backed by gold anymore. Its fiat money. It has value because the government says it does. The government can only maintain that by political influence and military power. By being the big swinging dick! "Its a dollar because I say it is." Essentially.

I think I've made my point, and your one little fun fact isn't enough justification for secession. It is always very clear when having this conversation with you brilliant calexit supporters that the whole concept is hare brained, ill conceived, and you clearly haven't looked at the issue from all angles. To your credit if you knew the slightest bit on how to run a country you wouldn't be here on mmo-champion discussing the viability of its independence.

Given time (free of conflict) any stretch of land could organize and be a functional country. To make the assumption that California would be able to do so (assuming U.S. just lets you walk) at the same capacity as it currently is, is far too optimistic and quite frankly asinine. So what you are really talking about is War, and I don't see California coming out on top. Unless good ol Governor Brown has been stashing federal funds and has created his own secret military force I'm afraid the entire conflict would be an uphill battle. Even then (assuming you win your independence) you still have a multitude of other problems that WILL be problems that the fledgling Republic of California would need to address that will prevent you from producing at your cited capacity.

You also make the assumption that all Californians would stay and/or support this. We don't!

Perhaps a little more history would be an appropriate place to start.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2017-02-23 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    100% delusional.

Misguided.

Cherry picked information pulled completely out of context.

What California is able to produce is due largely to being part of the U.S. and in all these calculations, no one tries to quantify it.

You also completely ignored the question.

If a company like Apple who makes the majority of its money off of the BRAND and not necessarily the quality of its product. What happens when that BRAND is no longer protected? I'll tell you... Samsung capitalizes and becomes the #1 tech company in the world.

What about Disney and the copyrights and the money it makes which equates to Tax revenue off of LICENSING its BRAND.

How about the music industry? The film industry? All largely centered in California. When they are no longer FEDERALLY protected where do they make their money?

You also have to take into account that the U.S. isn't going to trade with a country it is at war with. So you lose a huge consumer.

Money. The U.S. dollar will become completely WORTHLESS in California. Our current monetary system isn't backed by gold anymore. Its fiat money. It has value because the government says it does. The government can only maintain that by political influence and military power. By being the big swinging dick! "Its a dollar because I say it is." Essentially.

I think I've made my point, and your one little fun fact isn't enough justification for secession. It is always very clear when having this conversation with you brilliant calexit supporters that the whole concept is hare brained, ill conceived, and you clearly haven't looked at the issue from all angles. To your credit if you knew the slightest bit on how to run a country you wouldn't be here on mmo-champion discussing the viability of its independence.

Given time (free of conflict) any stretch of land could organize and be a functional country. To make the assumption that California would be able to do so (assuming U.S. just lets you walk) at the same capacity as it currently is, is far too optimistic and quite frankly asinine. So what you are really talking about is War, and I don't see California coming out on top. Unless good ol Governor Brown has been stashing federal funds and has created his own secret military force I'm afraid the entire conflict would be an uphill battle. Even then (assuming you win your independence) you still have a multitude of other problems that WILL be problems that the fledgling Republic of California would need to address that will prevent you from producing at your cited capacity.

You also make the assumption that all Californians would stay and/or support this. We don't!

Perhaps a little more history would be an appropriate place to start.

Because California could not create protections of their own?

You act like countries with 40 million people don't have any power to protect, support or manage themselves. (cough canada).

btw no one said i supported or am trying to justify secession, i just mentioned how economically powerful they are relative to the rest of the country and how that would impact their ability to secede from the country. We are talking hypothetical since it will never happen. Based on their size, their economy, their production they could secede and be successful at it.

You also talk about war, not sure what country would come out on top against the US military, so Cally would be no different that i agree.

P.s. you keep saying "your", i don't live in CA, actually i live just about as far as you can from CA and still be in the united states. You really made this quite emotional and personal for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If you're going to bitch about federal money on state level infrastructure California is the wrong state to pick.
    Really? In a thread about California infrastructure, I ought not to bitch about the cost of California infrastructure? Do you even think at all before you start typing?

Really? In a thread about California infrastructure, I ought not to bitch about the cost of California infrastructure? Do you even think at all before you start typing?
    WOOOOOOOOSH

California pays significantly more into the federal government than it receives. There's little ground to complain about them getting some federal money for infrastructure.

WOOOOOOOOSH

California pays significantly more into the federal government than it receives. There's little ground to complain about them getting some federal money for infrastructure.
    Sure there is. It's pork. It's of no benefit at all, to anyone other than wealthy Californians. We all get the army. We all get the highway network. We all get the power created by dams. It's pork, plain and simple.

Now, I'm not saying there isn't other pork out there. It's everywhere. And I'm not even doing some sort of math on the ratio of pork to taxes paid, like you are laughably pretending to do, with zero data. I'm just saying it is what it is. Can we assume it's in the Queen of Pork's district, or at least goes through it?

Sure there is. It's pork. It's of no benefit at all, to anyone other than wealthy Californians. We all get the army. We all get the highway network. We all get the power created by dams. It's pork, plain and simple.

Now, I'm not saying there isn't other pork out there. It's everywhere. And I'm not even doing some sort of math on the ratio of pork to taxes paid, like you are laughably pretending to do, with zero data. I'm just saying it is what it is. Can we assume it's in the Queen of Pork's district, or at least goes through it?
    How does a train that anyone can use only benefit wealthy Californians?

So you're saying that we should only fund things that help everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    How does a train that anyone can use only benefit wealthy Californians?
    Homeless dudes don't commute to work in Silicon Valley, last I checked. I mean, maybe I'm wrong. Nobody is paying for the transportation in my town. Why should I pay for this?

- - - Updated - - -

So you're saying that we should only fund things that help everyone?
    I'm saying federal funds should not be used for local pork projects, yes. Use your own money for that, like we do where I live.

7+ Year Old Account
    Liberal states can start receiving federal funding when they start paying their fair share!
    /s