Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    Money is everything; if she had had some to take, it might have been different. If I had any, it wouldn't be so bad. As it stands now, I'm pretty much doomed to be in TREMENDOUS, horrible debt until the day I die. I doubt I'll ever be able to get a house or a new car on my own.
    Just declare bankruptcy, stays on your record for 7 years, but you'll still have credit since you can't declare bankruptcy again to get out of new debt. Otherwise, when you stop paying, the debt comes off your credit after 7 years. If they write off the debt, there might be a tax burden.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Just declare bankruptcy, stays on your record for 7 years, but you'll still have credit since you can't declare bankruptcy again to get out of new debt. Otherwise, when you stop paying, the debt comes off your credit after 7 years. If they write off the debt, there might be a tax burden.
    Does this mean the 500 grand in medical bills would come off my credit in 7 years if I didn't file for it? I don't really know much about the whole 7 year policy in terms of specifics; does any debt come off after 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    Does this mean the 500 grand in medical bills would come off my credit in 7 years if I didn't file for it? I don't really know much about the whole 7 year policy in terms of specifics; does any debt come off after 7?
    It does, after 7 years they just fall off. The 7 years is from the last payment made. After 5 years they can't sue you for it. If they DO sue you, I'm not sure of the specifics of that. The tax bill on 500k though, if they do a "charge off" and forgive the debt, would be pretty massive and unavoidable. Basically it would count the $500,000 as "income". So your best/ safest bet is to declare bankruptcy, which just clears the debt now.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    A hospital tried to charge me $500 just to get a ear infection prescription.
    Thankfully i was able to scream at them to go through my insurance first, several times, over a entire year, until they finally did and my bill was like $20ish
    ...and then they passed on the cost to everyone else the next time they came to the hospital.

lol hospital for an ear infection.
    ever hear of clinics?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    stupid democrats....... IT:S NOT A PROBLEM CAUSED BY REPUBLICANS!

it;s a problem caused by greedy politicians on both sides and the peopling lobbying them with money?

Why did you think insurance companies were all for ACA? because it forced people to buy their product regardless of price and plan.....

and obama care is crap it self with high detuctablies that are above what any thing should even really cost.

IT IS GREEDY PEOPLE! and while i can't wait till Trump guts ACA and saves me money, there is still going to be a problem that NIETHER SIDE WILL FIX because their doners have the money they want......

Cute you think healthcare cost are not going to increase at the same or higher rate after ACA goes away.
    its almost like we did not have 20-30 years of data prior to the ACA that shows there is no chance of that happening any time soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    but come on obamacare was such a jump on US citizens freedom of not having insurance and be able to pay bills like this whenever something happens to them. its his consitutional freedom to not pay insurance and recive such bills.
    but being forced to pay for medicare is ok?
    being forced to participate in social security is ok?

odd that you draw the line at ACA when its basically the same "forced" purchase of an insurance product.

Health care is not for poor people, OP. Get used to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    A hospital tried to charge me $500 just to get a ear infection prescription.
    Thankfully i was able to scream at them to go through my insurance first, several times, over a entire year, until they finally did and my bill was like $20ish
    Why didn't you go to a doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Why not? I've gone to the emergency room several times and never had to pay. This is how it should be. Once I was worried I had a stress fracture in my foot so I figured the best thing to do was see a doctor and then right away if necessary, get xrays. The doctors and nurses were friendly and didn't mind one bit.
    You would be part of the problem (if you were, you know, not living in Canada, using Canadian facilities, but still constantly getting all hot and bothered about US issues). Emergency rooms are not supposed to be used for things that your primary care doctor, or even urgent care clinics are for. If you're dying (or think you might be) you go to an ER for a full work-up/life-saving measures. And they were nice because a) we can be good at hiding what we really think and/or b) its less of a headache to be nice to the idiots who abuse ERs.

A stress fracture? Really? What did you think an ER would do for you that couldn't wait?

- - - Updated - - -

Why didn't you go to a doctor?
    So terribly ironic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Last time I went to my doctor it was to check out my foot, hurt it running. Was sent from doctor to hospital for X-rays, took around 2 hours total, think I paid $50.

Can't imagine having to weigh up whether or not to go to the doctor if I need medical help because it might get too expensive. Not even because the actual services are complicated or that expensive either, but because they maliciously tack on huge costs for profits. Don't understand how people accept that kind of system.

And people wonder why us Brits love the NHS, healthcare should not be a monopoly, we've sunk so low as humans that we're basically profiting from others misery. Sad state of the world really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    I'm happy to be living in Denmark where something like this would never be tolerated. I may pay a bit more in taxes. But rather that than to go bankrupt the minute something more serious happens to me.
    I agree. I had a few stays in a hospital in my life, including longer ones because of a ruptured spleen and an eating disorder - and it barely cost me anything directly. I am infinitely grateful that I live in a country where simply getting injured can not make you fall into bankruptcy that easily.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-02-26 at 04:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    You would be part of the problem (if you were, you know, not living in Canada, using Canadian facilities, but still constantly getting all hot and bothered about US issues). Emergency rooms are not supposed to be used for things that your primary care doctor, or even urgent care clinics are for. If you're dying (or think you might be) you go to an ER for a full work-up/life-saving measures. And they were nice because a) we can be good at hiding what we really think and/or b) its less of a headache to be nice to the idiots who abuse ERs.

A stress fracture? Really? What did you think an ER would do for you that couldn't wait?

- - - Updated - - -

So terribly ironic.

No. I could barely walk. Barely put any pressure on my foot. I was already downtown so why not hobble to the hospital and figure out what was going on.
    The doctors, nurses and others at the hospital were all very polite and concerned. I ended up getting referred to foot clinic to make sure everything was ok.

It's telling that the experts were concerned and didn't mind my visit but a random guy on the internet thinks this is poor use of the medical system. Hospitals exist for a reason. For people who are sick or hurt to get help. I fit the criteria.

No. I could barely walk. Barely put any pressure on my foot. I was already downtown so why not hobble to the hospital and figure out what was going on.
    The doctors, nurses and others at the hospital were all very polite and concerned. I ended up getting referred to foot clinic to make sure everything was ok.

It's telling that the experts were concerned and didn't mind my visit but a random guy on the internet thinks this is poor use of the medical system. Hospitals exist for a reason. For people who are sick or hurt to get help. I fit the criteria.
    Yeah, as an ER nurse, I can tell you, people go to ERs all the time when they shouldn't. Its easier to feign concern than have a conversation about unnecessary use of an ER-and, turns out, is a lot better for patient satisfaction scores. It just so happens that, on the internet, I don't have to feign being nice to do my job well.

Now, I'll admit, I don't know canadian healthcare (perhaps like you don't know US healthcare?), but what you've described would warrant a visit to an urgent care, or, even... your primary care doctor? I'm glad you thought going to an ER was convenient for you. But it was unwarranted, unless there are other circumstances regarding other, cheaper, more appropriate options.