Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    I always find it funny when Americans think they are experts on the subject.
    They kind of are? Uncontrolled migration wiped out the native americans didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    They kind of are? Uncontrolled migration wiped out the native americans didn't it?
    That was an invasion not a migration.

Just one question : when the United States were ''building'', do you really think that the borders were much regulated ?

(Hint : not at all. Migrants that were not Chinese had the following vetting process:
    A)Do you have a visibly infectious disease ?
    B)Do you have the equivalent of 2017 500 USD ?

And that was for the sea migration. Over the land, between 1840 and 1930 there was nocontrols whatsoever. 2.5 million French Canadians emigrated to the US by buying a train ticket.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    That was an invasion not a migration.
    It was a migration because those people settled on the land they took from the natives.

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    It was a migration because those people settled on the land they took from the natives.
    That's usually called conquest or conquering. Not migration.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Based on the opinions you hold, I'm pretty certain our education system is also a bit more advanced and better at making people smarter at using the internet properly with fact and source checking.
    Can't deny that the american education system is pretty shitty. What have I linked that hasn't been accurate? Or is this just a baseless ad hominem

Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    Can't deny that the american education system is pretty shitty. What have I linked that hasn't been accurate? Or is this just a baseless ad hominem
    YMMV but I had a good experience with it.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Yeah no, but nice hyperbole you got there.
    Thanks!

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Look at the Trump apologists trying to make it sound the EU is the bad guy.
    And they don't even realize that European presidents have nowhere near as much personal power as US president. Of course that doesn't alarm them at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    And they don't even realize that European presidents have nowhere near as much personal power as US president. Of course that doesn't alarm them at all.
    Not really comparable though. In the US the people vote for the president, in EU he's choosen by the parliament.

With the specter of populism looming over a critical election year in Europe, the European Parliament has taken an unusual step to crack down on racism and hate speech in its own house.

In an unprecedented move, lawmakers have granted special powers to the president to pull the plug on live broadcasts of parliamentary debate in cases of racist speech or acts and the ability to purge any offending video or audio material from the system.

Trouble is, the rules on what is considered offensive are none too clear. Some are concerned about manipulation. Others are crying censorship.

"This undermines the reliability of the Parliament's archives at a moment where the suspicion of 'fake news' and manipulation threatens the credibility of the media and the politicians," said Tom Weingaertner, president of the Brussels-based International Press Association.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...-talk-45744695

Looks like EU is heading down the slippery slope of not only censoring speech that isn't politically correct but entirely removing it from the record. For politicians like Le Pen and Wilders, it means heavy fines and censorship of their entire political platform. In what seems to be a race towards novel like conditions of 1984, EU is determined to beat American progressives.
    Could you point out which parts of 1984 you think this move resembles?

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Not really comparable though.
    In the US he's the head of state, in the EP he's the head of the meeting.
    "The President of the European Commission is the most powerful position in the European Union,[50] controlling the Commission which collectively has a monopoly on all Union legislation and is responsible for ensuring its enforcement.[50][51] The President controls the policy agenda of the Commission for his term and in practice no policy can be proposed without the President's agreement.[50]"

??

Deleted
    I guess some people are predisposed to follow their party line without question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Where did I claim to be an expert? Are you such an expert to say who is and isn't?
    I do actually live in the EU.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing wrong with immigration, what's happening in europe isn't normal immigration.
    Yes, it is acteally.

Or are you confusing refugees with immigration?

maybe if the USA stopped going to war with everything that moves in the middle east then the EU wouldn't have these problems

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    You have no idea what the President of the EP does, do you?
    So let me explain:
    The president chairs debates and oversees all the activities of the Parliament and its constituent bodies (ensuring the Parliament's rules of procedure are applied), in this the role is similar to that of a speaker in a national parliament. Below the president, there are 14 vice-presidents who chair debates when the president is not in the chamber. The president also chairs the meetings of the Bureau, which is responsible for budgetary and administration issues, and the Conference of Presidents, which is a governing body composed of the presidents of each of the parliament's political groups.

Comparing him to Trump is ridiculous.
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/...igationBar=YES

The bolded part is new, the rest was already there.
    Ok fair enough, not exactly what I was getting at but true enough to what I wrote.

- - - Updated - - -

I do actually live in the EU.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it is acteally.

Or are you confusing refugees with immigration?
    Good to know man. Was their something else you wanted to add orrrrrrrrr

No, I'm talking about immigration. When refugee's left Greece for better benefits, they stopped being refugees and became economic migrants. That's not to say all did but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    Good joke. There's nothing wrong with immigration. They'll do just fine.
    Sure, there's nothing wrong with immigration, but mass immigration is a bad thing. Just look at Sweden.

I always find it funny when Americans think they are experts on the subject.
    Even funnier when Europeans think they are experts on American affairs, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by koontakent View Post
    maybe if the USA stopped going to war with everything that moves in the middle east then the EU wouldn't have these problems
    In general, it is with UN support. The US does not go alone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    Good joke. There's nothing wrong with immigration. They'll do just fine.
    If it wasn't for immigration the majority of the EU countries would have been bankrupt, or shall we not remember the fact how much cheap labour contributes towards improving the life standard? Who else will do all the low qualified and dirty work? (No this isn't racism for some that might see it that way, this is just common knowledge on why and how immigration is a good thing).

Deleted
    With the specter of populism looming over a critical election year in Europe, the European Parliament has taken an unusual step to crack down on racism and hate speech in its own house.

In an unprecedented move, lawmakers have granted special powers to the president to pull the plug on live broadcasts of parliamentary debate in cases of racist speech or acts and the ability to purge any offending video or audio material from the system.

Trouble is, the rules on what is considered offensive are none too clear. Some are concerned about manipulation. Others are crying censorship.

"This undermines the reliability of the Parliament's archives at a moment where the suspicion of 'fake news' and manipulation threatens the credibility of the media and the politicians," said Tom Weingaertner, president of the Brussels-based International Press Association.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...-talk-45744695

Looks like EU is heading down the slippery slope of not only censoring speech that isn't politically correct but entirely removing it from the record. For politicians like Le Pen and Wilders, it means heavy fines and censorship of their entire political platform. In what seems to be a race towards novel like conditions of 1984, EU is determined to beat American progressives.
    I didnt know it had become such a problem in the parlament.
    I mean, if people have started saying really dumb shit recently you'd want to be able to shut them up I guess.

No this is nothing like 1984. Stop fucking mentioning 1984 the second something is even remotely censorship. It's such a pathetic appeal to emotion.