Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You'll have to prove that simply seeing curse words in WoW influences young people to curse at their teachers, which you can't, because thats untrue.
    What can I say to this? You were judge, lawyer and prosecutor here. Stated I cant prove it, its untrue.
    Nice try protecting wow from responsibiliy, since I presented you with true story. Not saying it is only wow, but it has its share.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SandmanActual View Post
    Fuck off, OP
    This show what teenager comes down to when out of arguments. Hope you wont hear thing like that from your child some day...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eucaliptus View Post
    This is not about reporting them - Im interested WHY they do it?
    Dont people know using offensive swearing will make someone hurt and leave? Then instead of him, another will come, stand in fire and instead of successfull raid, you get a bad one? And all of that could of been avoided if there was more tolerance between people and not using harsh words?
    It is just illogical, suicidal, selfdestructing - cant those people understand that? They wasted not only time of the others, but also their own?
    I don't want shitty players queuing up to groups I'm in, because I actually carry my own weight and get rather pissed off when I have to carry theirs too. If they can't be arsed to learn how to play, they're showing a blatant lack of respect for the time of everyone else present in the group. At which point I'll reciprocate their lack of respect, by becoming hostile in attitude towards them.

It isn't illogical to not want to play with players who don't want to learn. There already exists a place for them, they should stay in LFR if they can't or won't learn to play decently. I don't care if someone is a shitty player, when it doesn't negatively impact me.

- - - Updated - - -

What can I say to this? You were judge, lawyer and prosecutor here. Stated I cant prove it, its untrue.
    Nice try protecting wow from responsibiliy, since I presented you with true story. Not saying it is only wow, but it has its share.
    WoW isn't responsible for parents too lazy or ignorant to read the ESRB rating for the game, and the part where it clearly says "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB". I'd hope that anyone with a child is aware that the internet is not a child-friendly environment.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2017-03-03 at 11:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    I don't want shitty players queuing up to groups I'm in, because I actually carry my own weight and get rather pissed off when I have to carry theirs too. If they can't be arsed to learn how to play, they're showing a blatant lack of respect for the time of everyone else present in the group. At which point I'll reciprocate their lack of respect, by becoming hostile in attitude towards them.

It isn't illogical to not want to play with players who don't want to learn. There already exists a place for them, they should stay in LFR if they can't or won't learn to play decently. I don't care if someone is a shitty player, when it doesn't negatively impact me.
    Interesting point if view. So, you use insults to scare players not in your league to get off public playground?
    Did you think they have to learn first and that is a place to learn?
    Did you think of not everyone have the same amount of time to get to your level?
    Did you think not everyone have the same ability to learn, some learn slower, some faster?
    Play with guild group to avoid those kind of players?
    Why do you assume it is lack of respect? Pug player presents what is asked from leader, ilevel and achivement. Its on the leader to accept them or not. They go there to kill boss, not waste anyones time, not theirs, not yours. What else you want them to do?
    In perfect world you want, no pug would ever wipe and would one-shot all trash from day one. And we all know it doesnt go that way, learning curve isnt same for all.

Simple example - how would you feel if your 13yo daughter, in the middle class, says to the teacher: "Shut up, bitch".
    She was asked where she get that from - answer was "internet - I have Face and play WoW, video game".
    Father had to go to principals office few times to present a plan how to educate her that is not cool to say.
    To be honest, that a different problem with the upbringing. Lack of respect, not saying swear words or name-calling.

Leaving the word "bitch" and just saying "shut up" isn't swearing but still "not done" esp with the implied tone in your example.

Perhaps teach the kids respect for others first.

Besides, it's more likely they learned from a movie or video clips anyway. That's a way bigger source for learning swearing words/name-calling.
    Last edited by Amorac; 2017-03-04 at 07:57 AM.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Quote Originally Posted by ESRB Warning Label
    Rated T for Teen / 12+ (EU)
    Blood and Gore
    Crude Humor
    Mild Language
    Suggestive Themes
    Use of Alcohol
    Violence
    I don't think it's meant for children.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post

WoW isn't responsible for parents too lazy or ignorant to read the ESRB rating for the game, and the part where it clearly says "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB". I'd hope that anyone with a child is aware that the internet is not a child-friendly environment.
    Since todays kids start to use internet in elementary school, during school classes, you cant blame parents for school program.
    Internet and IT are needed these days to prepare kids for future seriuos use of Internet.

WoW is responsible for content it presents to players.
    Teenage means 13+ yo and Blizzard is still going too far with some things, namely alchohol.
    Whats the point of alchoholic beverage items in-game if it is teen rated? Do they celebrate use of alchohol with thise items? Teenagers get message it is "cool" to drink alchohol since it is in game...
    Also, dwarf NPCs in Twilight Highlands - beer, beer kegs, xyz NpC is getting tipsy. Is it celebrating being drunk and ok thing to do?

I need to let it out..I just cant stand swearing of any kind, especially in front of minors/kids.
    These days, its like some players in WoW compete who will swear more and more often.
    Whats the point of it, is it teenagers who think they will be considered mature if they swear?
    Is it internet anonimity so people get out worst of them?

Few days ago, been in NH hc pug, started very smoothly, everyone said hi, politely asked for summon, we started, six bosses one-shotted, loot traded among people, no bad word was said. Then it started...
    We wiped on trash pack before Botanist, hell opened...
    "wtf, tank moron, are you blind"- mage said, then
    "Stupid healers, are you wanking there, try healing a bit"- says tank
    Then started calling eachother moms, 5 more people came into "conversation" and everybody started leaving the raid.
    Very nice and smooth raid destroyed in matter of 1 minute.

Not to mention random bgs or M+ runs - some people just cant hold their mouth shut - whats the point of saying in M+ "mage, are you retarded? Only 500k dps in 890 gear in boss fight?" Mage leaves, ruining keyholders key, people wasted time. Why the insult here? If he kept his mouth shut, m+ would be finished, everybody happy... but no, he just needed to insult.

So, why people behave like that, like animals, vultures for one single mistake? Ok, it was a mistake, but do they really have to swear so badly in a manner "even mother wouldnt kiss such filthy mouth".
    welcome to the real world and the internet, home your mom didnt coddle you to much or your not going to survive in reality with the rest of us. Also i would love to see how long you would last in basic training.

Since todays kids start to use internet in elementary school, during school classes, you cant blame parents for school program.
    Internet and IT are needed these days to prepare kids for future seriuos use of Internet.
    Kids learned swear words at young ages (earlier then 13) long before the internet. If you think swearing in 1985 wasn't done by kids you are gravely mistaken.

Parents need to learn their kids to respect and teachers should help with that. Seems more likely parents dumb their kids at school and with that all responsibility with the teachers who think it is not their job to teach respect.

And good luck trying to shield your kids from the name-calling learned from movies and other long established media. This is no different then the campaigns against "bad" movies, TV shows, video clips, comics, whatever was "new". Books have been subject to shifting responsibility of parenting from parents.

If your kid is swearing and calls people names so much you failed in parenting, imho.
    Last edited by Amorac; 2017-03-04 at 08:16 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorac View Post
    Kids learned swear words at young ages (earlier then 13) long before the internet. If you think swearing in 1985 wasn't done by kids you are gravely mistaken.

Parents need to learn their kids to respect and teachers should help with that. Seems more likely parents dumb their kids at school and with that all responsibility with the teachers who think it is not their job to teach respect.

And good luck trying to shield your kids from the name-calling learned from movies and other long established media. This is no different then the campaigns against "bad" movies, TV shows, video clips, comics, whatever was "new". Books have been subject to shifting responsibility of parenting from parents.

If your kid is swearing and calls people names so much you failed in parenting, imho.
    Actually, my kids are very nice kids, great at school, they never swear, not irl, not in game. Im proud they didnt embrace that primitive behaviour and I think my parenthood was successful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mortar Team, WC3: "Take this, you bastard! *BOOM*"

Uther, WC3: "The urn holds your father's ashes, Arthas! What, were you hoping to piss on them one last time before you left his kingdom to rot!?"

Rifleman, WC3: "We did, ye rotting bastards!"

Garrosh, WoW: "Watch your clever mouth, Bitch."

Genn Greymane. Curse of the Worgen: "It's high time these Forsaken bastards learned... that there's nothing more dangerous than a cornered animal."

Item: Edged Bastard Sword
    Item: Bastard Sword
    Item: Short Bastard Sword
    Item: Darksteel Bastard Sword
    Item: Surplus Bastard Sword
    Item: Long Bastard Sword

The game is full of naughty words! We learn from the game, we embrace the game! We are the game! The game is life!
    Last edited by Benomatic; 2017-03-04 at 08:33 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    welcome to the real world and the internet, home your mom didnt coddle you to much or your not going to survive in reality with the rest of us. Also i would love to see how long you would last in basic training.
    Well, so far I did quite fine, since Im well over 40.
    As a proffessional soldier, my basic training was long time ago, same as advanced training and specialization, four years of warfare also.

Actually, my kids are very nice kids, great at school, they never swear, not irl, not in game. Im proud they didnt embrace that primitive behaviour and I think my parenthood was successful.
    Well, so far I did quite fine, since Im well over 40.
    As a proffessional soldier, my basic training was long time ago, same as advanced training and specialization, four years of warfare also.
    So, you agree then, considering your training as a soldier (that should have included respect/discipline/responsibility), what is needed for kids not to swear/name-call is being taught to not do it, and not "banning" it from internet? (since you say your kids don't do it despite being subjected to it).

As said, you are never going to get rid of them learning those anyway. Been part of human culture since the beginning of language. And since profanity sells just as good as sex.. well the big media companies are not going to stop selling it anytime soon.
    Last edited by Amorac; 2017-03-04 at 08:48 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Swearing is a natural and actually quite safe way to vent. You don't have to like it but I think it would be better for everyone if you accept it. I personally find people who aren't afraid to swear and express their emotions to be more trustworthy. You know much better what to expect from a person like that than from someone who holds everything inside. Sure, swearing shouldn't be used like punctuation because that's just dumb, however, it does exist for a reason and there is no point in fighting it. After all swearing isn't physical violence and doesn't come even close when you compare the harm done. In fact out ability to swear helps prevent physical violence.

Well, someone has a tiny wee wee.

jesus. get thicker wrists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post

I don't think it's meant for children.

10+ Year Old Account

WoW is responsible for content it presents to players.
    Teenage means 13+ yo and Blizzard is still going too far with some things, namely alchohol.
    Whats the point of alchoholic beverage items in-game if it is teen rated? Do they celebrate use of alchohol with thise items? Teenagers get message it is "cool" to drink alchohol since it is in game...
    Also, dwarf NPCs in Twilight Highlands - beer, beer kegs, xyz NpC is getting tipsy. Is it celebrating being drunk and ok thing to do?
    Teenagers get the message it is cool to drink alcohol from every alcohol commercial on TV. I can say with certainty that the number of teenagers who watch TV vastly outnumbers those that play WoW.

If anything WoW at least actually shows some of the negative effects of alcohol(it even shows impaired judgement, when your character is drunk you see mobs as a lower level than they actually are), which I can't say I've ever seen advertising for alcohol do the same to any extent.

What I was specifically referring to though is the foul behaviors and unsafe content they'll be exposed to on the internet. The filter of anonymity makes people comfortable to behave in a manner they know is socially unacceptable in a public environment. This means that any child venturing on the internet is liable to run across something that isn't child-friendly;be it some form of content, any number of behaviors, and at worst individuals seeking to prey upon them.

To clarify, I'm not saying that they shouldn't use the internet. I'm saying they need to be properly educated about how to make use of it in a safe manner.

As far as WoW goes, it is actually a fairly safe place when you put it into perspective with the rest of the internet.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2017-03-04 at 09:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    i do semi agree dumb people swear more
    but smart people swear alot too
    but "only dumb people swear" is what the quote says and that is false
    From my experience, noone swears more and in a better way than artists

I would agree that in some cases swearing might reflect lacks in vocabulary but in most it simply shows people who are emotional.

Also, "this set it fucking ugly" != "this set is very ugly". Swear words bring quite a different emotion which emphasizes the meaning.