Page 42 of 95 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Computerbase
    Computerbase was noting a huge diff in gaming perf due to BIOS.. https://www.computerbase.de/2017-03/...x-1700-test/2/
    Through Google Translate
    " For the AMD Asus Crosshair VI Hero and MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium, the manufacturer recommends at least the use of the BIOS versions 5704 and 117, respectively, and in fact there was a significant gain in performance on the two boards with a double-digit figure To 25 percent. With older BIOS, the Ryzen 7 1800X in games was initially at the level of the Intel Core i7-4770K, which in the editorial memories of bulldozer awakened. The change to the mainboard of Asus and the provision of the BIOS 117 by MSI, however, brought an all-clear.
    On the other hand, the two boards still do not lie on top of each other. The main board of MSI is on average three percent, but in extreme cases nine percent. Other BIOS updates should also solve this brake."
    We really just need to wait a little longer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    We really just need to wait a little longer.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post44872224

10+ Year Old Account
    Another thing to add to the list of weird things in this launch: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...#post-38773988
    The Stilt made most of his benchmarks under Windows 7 instead of Windows 10, and for whatever reason Ryzen does perform better in it.
    Oh you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    And like FX chips, RyZen supports ECC memory.

15+ Year Old Account
    I want to see WoW benchmarks. I dont know why people dont use that game in their benchmarks, its totally relevant still.

Thats my worry, getting mine and seeing it perform badly in WoW. Thats the main game I play so if it dos not do so good Im going to beat up Fascinate for talking me into this..and Gray Matter too!

Anyone find a review where they disable 2 cores for comparison to the 1600X, I looked this morning but no joy. If these thing turn out decent then a 4/8 core for the HTPC is going to happen and I been sporting 3rd generation Pentiums in my 3 office machines. I almost bought some 4560s and b250 boards but I'll wait for the R3s

10+ Year Old Account
    They don't benchmark WoW because it's not a game in which you can easily make things repeatable in a reliable way to make the comparison valid. People usually have problems during mythic encounters due to the large amount of information and particles, and you can't make every single pull the same for them to be used as a benchmark.

Also WoW is probaly the game you should never expect Ryzen to be able to beat Intel's offerings, simply due to the fact that even if the IPC is more or less the same it can't clock as high and WoW doesn't really benefit from more cores. WoW is the most CPU-bound game ever when you look at minimum framerates, a clock difference that is meaningless in any other game can make a tangible difference in WoW.

With that said, Ryzen is probably still fine when paired with a high frequency RAM (look at something at 3000MHz or higher) and shouldn't give you bad performance. No way to know for sure until someone actually tries it, maybe you'll be the first =)
    Last edited by Artorius; 2017-03-04 at 01:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a shame we don't have the exact numbers yet, but given what we know about WoW's love for per-thread performance I can already guarantee you that an i7 or i5 with a higher clock speed will come out on top. Though an 1800X (or OC'd 1700/1700X) should come in at about a stock 4790K's performance, and that's certainly playable.

Though in the end I don't think it will make it or break it whether it performs on top for WoW. It's good enough all around for gaming and offers huge benefits in other workloads as well as potential gains in future titles developed with newer APIs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    <snip>

With that said, Ryzen is probably still fine when paired with a high frequency RAM (look at something at 3000MHz or higher) and shouldn't give you bad performance. No way to know for sure until someone actually tries it, maybe you'll be the first =)
    Why put all that pressure on me?

I know wow favors clock speeds, and If, and I say if I can get this to 4.0 Ghz on at least 4 cores then it should hang with my 6700k without the OC. I dropped my OC and Im going to leave it at stock over the next few days without turbo boost so I can compare.

When I got on wow yesterday I didn't notice any thing unusual compared to the OC, it didn't feel different, I don't really have anything to gauge it by as I always OCed. But mine is only 400MHz over stock turbo boost so this should be interesting.

I'm going to run fraps, unless someone knows a better way, I paid for it a long time ago so I figure I would run it in our Raid tonight and use the 1700X next weekend.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post

I know wow favors clock speeds, and If, and I say if I can get this to 4.0 Ghz on at least 4 cores then it should hang with my 6700k without the OC. I dropped my OC and Im going to leave it at stock over the next few days without turbo boost so I can compare.

When I got on wow yesterday I didn't notice any thing unusual compared to the OC, it didn't feel different, I don't really have anything to gauge it by as I always OCed. But mine is only 400MHz over stock turbo boost so this should be interesting.

I'm going to run fraps, unless someone knows a better way, I paid for it a long time ago so I figure I would run it in our Raid tonight and use the 1700X next weekend.
    fraps dude..

use MSI Afterburner, set it up properly. it has all the tools you need. wow's engine is old, poorly optimized and not fit to benchmark with. although you could compare some differences in frames when you overclock.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yabadabadoh View Post
    fraps dude..

use MSI Afterburner, set it up properly. it has all the tools you need. wow's engine is old, poorly optimized and not fit to benchmark with. although you could compare some differences in frames when you overclock.
    I thought MSI Afterburner caused glitches in WoW while running? Was that fixed. I don't know its been a long time since I used Afterburner.

10+ Year Old Account
    No pressure. And yeah, try it and tell us how it went =D

Deleted
    I thought MSI Afterburner caused glitches in WoW while running? Was that fixed. I don't know its been a long time since I used Afterburner.
    the only problem i ever encountered was that the software wasn't able to detect the game overlay properly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yabadabadoh View Post
    the only problem i ever encountered was that the software wasn't able to detect the game overlay properly.
    I will give it a try.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference in FPS on my 4790k at 4.0 / 4.6 was only about 3-5. That was some extremely informal testing back MoP at old Ultra with a 970.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Id like to see a WoW bench too. It should be fine tho, i mean i play at 1080p 7 preset with a 2500k/gtx 760 and only time i dip below 60 fps is a really busy city or a world boss.

Techpowerup is the only site i see include WoW in their tests, but apparently they didnt do a ryzen review lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Id like to see a WoW bench too. It should be fine tho, i mean i play at 1080p 7 preset with a 2500k/gtx 760 and only time i dip below 60 fps is a really busy city or a world boss.

Techpowerup is the only site i see include WoW in their tests, but apparently they didnt do a ryzen review lol.
    They did publish this not long ago though and this is great news.

That is cool, so many memory problems so far. Whats funny tho i was just browsing microcenters site, i can get a kit of EVGA 3000 cas 15 16gb for 75 bucks open box, that is like 40 dollars cheaper than anything i can find online, so i may just have to risk the biscuit lol. I may even go with a b350 board, it seems they are fine for the 1700.

15+ Year Old Account
    bah, NE only has the 2666 Mhz

10+ Year Old Account
    The best way to setup RAM on Ryzen at the moment apparently is setting it to a low frequency on BIOS and then increasing the BCLK to compensate on mobos that have an external base clock generator. That's a thing because Ryzen's memory controller has fixed timings and it is causing problems. Doing what was described makes it use tight timings and gives you the high frequency at the same time. It'll OC everything else too though.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2017-03-04 at 10:19 PM.

AMD stock down 13% since the launch of Ryzen based on the terrible reviews towards gaming.