Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Thanks for posting some relevant information. Most posters seems to want to turn this thread into a meme despite the fact it's only snowed about 4 times here this winter.
    There's an entire wikipedia article on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_mobility
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
    Do you know anything about Canada? Ontario has turned into a have not province. Its just the west in general that props up the east...
    Ontario isn't a have not province.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Ontario

The economy of Ontario is rich and diversified. Ontario is the largest economy in Canada, with a GDP nearly twice that of neighbouring Quebec, which is Canada's second largest economy.[1][2] Though manufacturing plays an important role in Ontario's economy, it is the service sector that takes up 76.9%.[3] Ontario's public debt-to-GDP ratio is projected to reach 40.3% in fiscal year 2016-2017, compared to 26% in 2007-2008.[4]

Ontario is the most populous province of Canada, with a population of approximately 13.5 million permanent residents in 2013.[5] It is Canada's leading manufacturing province, accounting for 46% of the manufacturing GDP in 2012.[6]

Inflation is at 1.0% as of July 2013, and the unemployment rate is at 7.5%.[7] In 2012, the ratings agency Moody's downgraded the province's credit rating from an AA1 negative outlook to an AA2 stable outlook in April 2012.[8]

In 2013, Ontario's main international exports were motor vehicles and parts (34.2%), precious metals and stones (12.3%), mechanical equipment (8.8%), electrical machinery (3.8%), and plastic products (3.6%).[9] Ontario's main international imports were motor vehicles parts and accessories (21.7%), mechanical equipment (14.2%), electrical machinery (11.8%), precious metals & stones (4.5%) and plastic products (3.7%).[9]

Ontario was the leading state/province for attracting foreign direct investment (FDI) in North America in 2013, with $7.23bn. This accounted for more than one-tenth of all FDI in North America. It was also the 4th biggest state for outward FDI, recording $7.74bn.[10]

As of 2016, Ontario has surpassed Alberta to become the fastest-growing provincial economy in Canada

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by fengosa; 2017-03-06 at 04:10 AM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Your inability to grasp that having larger populations of lower performing groups drags aggregated data down is really tiresome. This isn't that hard to understand, but you're dedicated to not understanding it.
    Your inability to understand that just because having more people that are comfortably off while having a lower average doesn't mean it's a bad thing is really tiresome. This isn't that hard to understand, but you're dedicated to not understanding it.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    Whatever your gripe with linus is. Feel free to point to another YT techie who's even close to his expertise, which you for some reason just won't acknowledge. Anyone serious about hardware know better. Now do take into the fact that even this site is representable of how bad the hardware market is, where there's hardly been any upgrades for years.

Do you think that he is popular beyond belief because he make "cool" videos? Check again.
    There's better reviewers for every single Tech related product that he reviews. His channel is full on monitization now and he makes fast shot vids for views and revenue. If you want in depth reviews go elseware.

If you want to continue believing that his channel is going to make you the most informed on a subject then prepare to get disappointed. I guess if you're clueless yourself you wouldn't even be able to tell or pick up on his mistakes or rather the shows writers mistakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Your inability to understand that just because having more people that are comfortably off while having a lower average doesn't mean it's a bad thing is really tiresome. This isn't that hard to understand, but you're dedicated to not understanding it.
    This is a non-sequitur, it doesn't address my core point at all. I don't really see you posting much that's constructive in general though.

Deleted
    I don't really see you posting much that's constructive in general though.
    lool is that really coming from you mate

This is a non-sequitur, it doesn't address my core point at all. I don't really see you posting much that's constructive in general though.
    Says the one who's blindly harping over total wealth, rather than just the quality-of-life of the masses. Try to keep your hypocrisy in check.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Says the one who's blindly harping over total wealth, rather than just the quality-of-life of the masses. Try to keep your hypocrisy in check.
    I didn't say anything about total wealth. Are you sure you're replying to the right person?

10+ Year Old Account
    Your inability to grasp that having larger populations of lower performing groups drags aggregated data down is really tiresome. This isn't that hard to understand, but you're dedicated to not understanding it.
    This attitude is part of the problem. You can't blame people for being uneducated without providing affordable education. Same goes for healthcare. Canada does a much better job of putting it's citizen first than the US does and the info linked shows that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Risale View Post
    Switzerland would be your best bet.
    In Oz 99% of the local wildlife will try to kill you, summer there feels like you are on vacation in hell and the internet sucks.
    I adored my time in Australia though! I am okay with hot weather, I cannot stand anything below ~10 C. And the wildlife isn't that dangerous, if you live in a major city, like Sydney or Brisbane.

Internet is the only issue. Not even as much the speeds and the costs, as the ping when trying to connect to anything non-Oceanic. But, given all other upsides, I can live with that.

I am more leaning towards Switzerland though: center of Europe, highest average income in the world (barring Middle-Eastern oil paradises), incredible scientific opportunities and salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's been deteriorating for awhile. I thought about NZ/Australia, too. Nice weather.

I grew up in the cold north of Alaska though, so I have a special fondness for mountains and pine trees.
    I am the opposite, I prefer beaches and palm trees. I've been in Toronto and I absolutely loved the city, but I was there in the summer; winters there, I would imagine, are beyond my tolerance level.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I think these things are kind of silly and stupid as it depends on your career and degree.

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    So you just don't like him and you don't have any better recommendations. linus is full of expertise, unfortunately drowned in profiteering. Like ALL expertise is.
    Pretty sure I already said I have no problem with Linus and dont dislike him just dont think his channel is worth going to for information on Tech. Maybe for the most uneducated it's good which is what he panders too, the largest crowd which is uninformed people. I'm not gonna waste my time listing all the people that review tech items with a more in-depth approach, if you really cared you would have googled it by now anyway.

At this point you are just arguing that LinusTechTips is the BEST tech info channel out there just to dispute me.

Linus = good guy
    LinusTechTips = not the best tech channel.

Anyway let these people get back to talking about all the anti-Trumpers that are still in the US even though they all fucking PROMISED to goto Canada when Trump won. Whats wrong is Canada's immigration policy not letting you move there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

I didn't say anything about total wealth. Are you sure you're replying to the right person?
    Sure, invoke the usual selective memory and feigned obtuseness.

Wanting to compare penis sizes over total wealth is the only reason you want to selectively remove entire groups of "underperforming" people from consideration. You just thinly veil it under "comparing between similar ethnic groups" and expect everyone is stupid enough to fall for that nonsensical reason, as if that somehow detracts that regardless of the reasoning America is unable to provide social mobility, which is the actual point of the OP and the articles linked in the thread so far.

Nobody is arguing social mobility between ethnic groups, but social mobility in nations in general, so for you to be cherrypicking ethnic groups, that's the very non sequitur you have been crying foul over the last few threads you have been in. Nothing beats the perpetrator diverting attention by being the first to complain.

My suggestion would be to compare Canada to the states that are the most demographically and culturally similar. I don't think you'll find much difference between Minnesota and Canada, for example.

More broadly, normalizing for ethnicity would be instructive. The American numbers are dragged down significantly by the significantly lower performance of Latinos and African-Americans relative to whites and Asian-Americans.
    Be careful. Endus doesn't like it when you speak the truth about this type of stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think I might be getting trolled....

Did you know Canadians own a big chunk of Florida?

That isn't saying Canada owns 35% of Florida. You read those stats wrong. Did you notice that the US ISNT ON THE GRAPH? What it says is compared to other FOREIGN countries, Canada owns more. Which means basically nothing without knowing what proportion that is to total real estate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    Be careful. Endus doesn't like it when you speak the truth about this type of stuff.
    is that truth or alternative truth ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

American eagle versus Canada goose.
    ...I have to admit though, Canadian Geese are flourishing far better than Baled Eagles. Just sayin'...

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I am excited for my summer trip through Canada! I am thinking of applying for permanent residency.
    Nova Scotia is the only part of Canada I consider awesome. But they do get crazy storms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    It might be true that if you cherry pick data to suit your own agenda you end up with something you like but that's misleading at best. If you want to call that the truth so be it but your only fooling yourself. The ide of comparing certain sects of society is contrary to the concept of the America dream anyways. You're real just proving the writers point for him.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I like California. They're very progressive and enjoy a high standard of living. If the chart above had measured California vs Canada it would look different. Given that California is propping up the US as a whole, that means the gap in the other 49 states must be even worse.
    They enjoy high standard of living because they are RICH. your average joe and inferiorities are not enjoying the high standard of living. They are being OUTPRICED out of the market into texas and other conservative areas, simply because they can not afford to live there anymore.

Well well well, guess who should've stayed in the Commonwealth.

Rule Britannia!

Quote Originally Posted by Risale View Post
    1. They gave us Celine Dion (kinda on the fence on this one)
    2. They produced Justin ffing Bieber (a crime so vile I am still hoping the UN will impose sanctions on them)
    Luckily they have some shitty banana republic south of their border they can dump all their garbage in, leaving Canada itself squeaky clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.