Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I think Merkel being able to push her agendas without any form of representation or restraint is enough to say the UK and other nations are getting the shitty end of the stick.
    Really? Without any form of representation? I'm afraid you don't understand how the EU works.

Smaller countries are already over-represented in the EU. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt; what exactly does this 'shitty end of the stick' entail? Which policies are objectively harming Britain and other EU countries?

Deleted
    Anyone else find it funny that France is making demands at Versailles again?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Yeah, UKIP are just like the Nazis.

Someone needs to check if Farage is building a concentration camp in his back garden.

Or you could get a grip.
    Oh so that's you're defence? A strawman argument and a stupid little insult?

No defence about that stupid poster? It may be hard to say something like ''taken out of context'' but try at least.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Yes because the whole, EU used to be a trade treaty, nonsense annoys me - It never was thus, and every single brexiter talking here should read the relevant treaties that were enacted Before the UK joined.
    To be fair in the 70s when the UK joined and when they had the referendum it was put to the electorate that it was just a trade agreement. Its not like the average Joe could've found out the relevant information by himself back in those days.

Yes its a failing on the part of the UK government not to fully educate the people on this matter back then, but the fact it was never just a trade agreement is irrelevant to many who feel they had been lied to and not given the opportunity to voice their opinion at the ballot box.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyreg View Post
    It won't though, any businesses that has to follow the regulations as they are will either decide that they will continue as they are (most likely) or decide they don't want to and go out of business (less likely)
    Yes, well in that I agree with you. So basically, the UK will follow EU regulations if they want to stay in the single market. Is that what you're saying? Because there are some here (dribbles), who believe the UK won't have to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    If irony could kill, the planet would be in dust.

Fuck I sometimes love this Brexit stuff, heres hoping we arent too small, too poor or too stupid to succeed with negotiations.

You guys already kind of do.
    I like it how England always, without fail, falls into this trap. They keep on ranting about sovereignity and shit, someone points out "Yeah... you're the one to talk, look at Scotland" they go "No, that's different" and then one glorious Scot will unerringly find his way into the thread and go "Um, no it's not... it's the same." and from then on, the Englishman pretends that never happened and ignores the Scot.

If it wasn't so tragic, it would be comedic as fuck. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Most messed up part about this Euro's is American investors with a fuck ton of cash are looking for cheap markets to invest in but Euro and UK especially are way too volatile right now to jump into. I am tracking a few EU ETF's but not going in until Lepen loses. She is a crack pot nutjob that would cause massive issues in the world economy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Oh so that's you're defence? A strawman argument and a stupid little insult?

No defence about that stupid poster? It may be hard to say something like ''taken out of context'' but try at least.
    It's more likely influenced by the Thatcher-era 'Labour isn't working' poster, by those infamous Nazis Saatchi & Saatchi.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Yes, well in that I agree with you. So basically, the UK will follow EU regulations if they want to stay in the single market. Is that what you're saying? Because there are some here (dribbles), who believe the UK won't have to do that.
    Well he is clearly mistaken if he believes that would be the case. Prior to us being in the EU I'm pretty sure we had our own regulations/standards and would not permit anybody selling products in the UK that did not meet these.

Britain will be negotiating trade deals, Trump being obviously pro-UK is therefore beneficial to the UK and he won't be strong armed into holding off in order to strengthen the EU's position, which is again beneficial for the UK.

Is it really that difficult for you to understand?
    Because... The EU is now negotiating with the US for... Britain's exit? How does your scenario make any sense in your head without Britain being an actual, literal vassal state of the USA?

Glad you got your sovereignity sorted and aren't dependant on anyone else to get what you want... :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Glad you got your sovereignity sorted and aren't dependant on anyone else to get what you want... :P
    It's funny how they traded a relatively reasonable block of overlords whom they can actually influence directly and indirectly for an overlord who's led by a complete nutty. And there we arrive back to Hollande's words: "Britain made a bad choice at a bad time."

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it how England always, without fail, falls into this trap. They keep on ranting about sovereignity and shit, someone points out "Yeah... you're the one to talk, look at Scotland" they go "No, that's different" and then one glorious Scot will unerringly find his way into the thread and go "Um, no it's not... it's the same." and from then on, the Englishman pretends that never happened and ignores the Scot.

If it wasn't so tragic, it would be comedic as fuck. :P
    What has England got to do with Scotland's sovereignty? England didn't take away Scotland's sovereignty anymore than Scotland took away England's.

I just want to know when the EU comes to collect what they are "owed" who's going to enforce is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because... The EU is now negotiating with the US for... Britain's exit? How does your scenario make any sense in your head without Britain being an actual, literal vassal state of the USA?

Your argument makes no sense. How does the US helping out the UK's bargaining position make the UK a literal vassal state of the US?

Find a dictionary, then look up 'literal' and 'vassal', they clearly do not mean what you think they mean.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to know when the EU comes to collect what they are "owed" who's going to enforce is?
    How are they going to get in? We'll have the right to restrict entry from EU residents by then. They'll have to shout from Calais.

The EU works largely on the goodwill of the member states. Enforcing is hardly necessary, because the member states agree to everything that needs "enforcing". And since it's adults making those decisions, they come through most of the time. At least as much as they can. If a nation is a repeated offender, the EU can drag that nation to the court which will then issue massive punitive fines. So far, that hasn't happened a lot. Member states have an interest in playing by the rules, because those rules make sense. Most offenses happen because of accidents or because countries want to get some more time to meet whatever it is they're supposed to achieve.

There are exceptions to the norm, as usual. But that's the general gist of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Watchman View Post
    It's not just about short term pain though is it, some people in the EU (namely Germany/France) clearly have a better deal of it than us other nations within the EU. It doesn't seem like something that'll ever fit Britain as a country since we're one of the richest nations in the world and we don't get as much benefit as the other nations
    What do you think made you one of the richest nations in the world?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nobody, the goods and services the UK purchased from the EU are defective. No more payments will be made in future and an invoice for reclamation of payments past, with interest, will be delivered from the UK to the EU.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

I believe it when they actually put it into action.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    To understand the EU attitude towards Greece, you need to understand how Greece entered the EU (falsified numbers), how they failed to meet certain checks, how their government is highly corrupted on several levels (paying taxes is somewhat optional), how a large part of the population is employed by the state (not sustainable), how the people that get elected generally make a fool of themselves at the talks, demanding silly things (like demanding more money from Germany for WW2 as a plan to pay back loans) and making even more humorous threats like "We'll ask Russia for aid!" and now imagine this happening several times over.

Greece biggest economic factor is tourism i believe and they fucked that up all by themselves real good. The EU had no hand in this.

I am obviously pro-Europe but i do know that the Euro currency was not a good deal for most due to how the economies differ between north and south.

Also Greece accepted the Euro, member states had to accept it i believe not sure if it was forced on them but again even if that is the case, you have to ignore a whole lot of things going wrong and put on blinders to simply say it was all the fault of a single currency, it wasn't and the sooner greece accepts this the sooner a solution can come from within greece for greece. Externally talks have been going on for a while to get rid of nation bonds and make an EU bond what could help the southern nations quite a bit.
    You´ve got it mixed up, the whole goldman sachs deal was about joining the eurozone... back in 1999 they were left out of talks for joining the eurozone because of inflation and debt well and then they simply hid the debt and barely made it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Your argument makes no sense. How does the US helping out the UK's bargaining position make the UK a literal vassal state of the US?

Find a dictionary, then look up 'literal' and 'vassal', they clearly do not mean what you think they mean.

How are they going to get in? We'll have the right to restrict entry from EU residents by then. They'll have to shout from Calais.
    You're hyperboling like a child. Grow up and start making a decent argument. Shout from Calais? Jesus...

As for the dictionary...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vassal

Definition of vassal
    : a person under the protection of a feudal lord to whom he has vowed homage and fealty : a feudal tenant
    : one in a subservient or subordinate position
    Learn your own fucking language...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    so basically, they're blaming every single problem with the EU on GB and the US.