Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'll never know fully if it's lying or true belief that leads to zombiesque repetition of "77 percent!". Varies from person to person I suppose, but there sure are a lot of useful idiots for the liars to exploit.
    It's both.

1. The liars who know they're lying, but have hidden motives or an agenda.

2. The drones that eat it all up without a second thought and develop a religious affinity for it; so much so that's it's hard to reconsider when mountains upon mountains of evidence to the contrary is presented.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    No, its not. Bargaining, is not sexism. Its not some magical white male magical thing; men that don't negotiate well won't get paid as well either. Just like people that don't speak well, don't dress well, etc etc etc. These things aren't sexism or "dressism" ...
    Another one that's well documented is height. I don't clear 5'9" - help, help, I'm being oppressed! See the violence inherent in the system!

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Or maybe pay both employees the same amount? Not sure why that's a difficult concept.
    I would argue this works against both genders, not help them. Removing the ability for either to negotiate.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Why? 10/char

- - - Updated - - -

Sure 10/char.
    if there the same resume they have to be applying to different jobs or the employer would notice they were the same, different people at different jobs would have different resumes to consider and have different preferences. even if they had all of the same resumes to compare then i would guess that they were the same resume just with a different man a woman's name instead of a mans. but the employer could have a different view on the resume because of the name for a different reason then it being a woman's name, if they had a bad experience with some one named say amy they might not want to hire some one with the same name this could go for men just as much as for woman.

Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    No, you don't understand what is actually happening:

Men:
    Offered 50, counters 60, offered 55, counters 57, offered 56, accepts.

Women:
    Offered 50, counters 55, offered 52, accepts.

That's not sexist or predatory. That's called negotiation and business. Why would they offer the woman 56 if she counters 55 and stops at 52 right away? If a man were to counter 55, they would counter 52 as well. It has nothing to do with their gender, just the mannerisms of the person (Which are different between genders, usually)
    Is that shit even quantifiable?

Quote Originally Posted by Daneman View Post
    Equal pay legislation in Sweden has not resulted in less wage discrimination between men and women, according to research by Lena Svenaeus.

Svenaeus is a former equality ombudsman and current doctoral student at Lund University. She has spent her entire career working on the gender wage gap.

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel...rtikel=6642414

Wage discrimination? Of course it didn't result in less, because there is none to start with! What a joke!
    The gender pay gap is a myth. Stop spreading it. Take 60 seconds to review the numbers and not the fake hype. It's been illegal to pay women less for equal work for decades. If women really are being paid less en masse, they could all file lawsuits. But they don't because they aren't actually being paid less for equal work. Trying to claim women get paid less than men is all based on false equivalencies like trying to compare the pay of an oil rig worker to that of a day care worker. The oil rig worker is much more likely to get hurt or killed on the job, and is away from home for months at a time. So their compensation will be much higher than a day care worker who has little to no chance of injury or death and gets to go home after 8 hours.

https://youtu.be/QcDrE5YvqTs

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ha...rticle/2580405
    Last edited by Slicer299; 2017-03-07 at 04:33 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's taking advantage of those gender differences. Which is literally what sexism is.

It's not that hard to develop a standardized pay scheme. Canadian government jobs are all fit into such. There's no discrepancies whatsoever.
    The belief that one sex (usually the male) is naturally superior to the other and should dominate most important areas of political, economic, and social life. Sexist discrimination in the United States in the past has denied opportunities to women in many spheres of activity.

taking advantage is not the same as seeing one as superior.

Not sure what you mean; is what 'shit' quantifiable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    even if they had all of the same resumes to compare then i would guess that they were the same resume just with a different man a woman's name instead of a mans. but the employer could have a different view on the resume because of the name for a different reason then it being a woman's name, if they had a bad experience with some one named say amy they might not want to hire some one with the same name this could go for men just as much as for woman.
    They often do this, and the bolded part just sounds too specific to be relevant, considering that these experiments are done in various business.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I would argue this works against both genders, not help them. Removing the ability for either to negotiate.
    Let's not sugarcoat this shit, Titan.

It's a government control on wages and earnings potential, and you damn well know that

- - - Updated - - -

Most regression models i've seen attribute negotiations in the stotchastic error term.

Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    Not sure what you mean; is what 'shit' quantifiable?
    From what I've read that shit (negotiations) is hard to quantify and thus is mostly ignored in discussion of GWG. Hence why most studies settle at around 5%.

once women soccer teams beat mans team on world cup finale i will accept that women are equal in physical abilities. Otherwise. fuck off women.come back if u have gained the strenght needed to lift 60 kg iron pods up on a crane for 8 hours a day. bye.

7+ Year Old Account
    They often do this, and the bolded part just sounds too specific to be relevant, considering that these experiments are done in various business.
    i'm not sure what you mean by they often do this.

the bolden part would be very specific but if it happened at any of the businesses they did the test on it would sitll effect the numbers unless there doing it on such a massive scale that 1 or 2 wouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post

It's a government control on wages and earnings potential, and you damn well know that

- - - Updated - - -

Most regression models i've seen attribute negotiations in the stotchastic error term.
    Kinda my point.

Probably not, or at least not well enough to work well for the standard "studies say!" line of discussion. Obviously studying things is important, but it's also important to acknowledge limitations and one of them is inability to account sufficiently for negotiation and subjective factors. On the flip side, anyone thinking carefully needs to be quite cautious about settling on just-so stories that jibe well with whatever their starting beliefs would tend to be.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't any extant discrimination; some of it will be very hard to quantify. In science (where I'm most familiar with career progression), I'm close to enough women that are serious scientists that have told me they feel like they don't get the respect they deserve from older men in the field. How do you quantify that? I can't. I'm sure it matters though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post

From a certain perspective, that's a feature, not a bug, eh?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cause its called an earnings gap, not a pay gap.

If a pay gap actually existed 90% of men would be umemployed.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    once women soccer teams beat mans team on world cup finale i will accept that women are equal in physical abilities. Otherwise. fuck off women.come back if u have gained the strenght needed to lift 60 kg iron pods up on a crane for 8 hours a day. bye.
    Lifting heavy things isn't worth very much money. I really doubt this has much impact on aggregated data.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    i'm not sure what you mean by they often do this.

the bolden part would be very specific but if it happened at any of the businesses they did the test on it would sitll effect the numbers unless there doing it on such a massive scale that 1 or 2 wouldn't matter.
    They send the same resume with a different name part. That error would have to repeat in various experiments throughout the years , dunno its too specific and hypothetical for my taste.

From what I've read that shit (negotiations) is hard to quantify and thus is mostly ignored in discussion of GWG. Hence why most studies settle at around 5%.
    So what MOST studies do is separate initial offerings and final offerings into separate data points to be used as reference or the study will be done to specifically look at the negotiation disparity compared to the initial offering. Realistically, if the initial offering is the same and equal counter offers are met with similar counter-counter offers, it's pretty easy to say that the gender wage cap isn't due to gender discrimination. At that point, further study needs to be done to determine where it comes from (Negotiation is pointed at as a major cause for why woman on average tend to make slightly less in similar fieldsl. Career choice being the primary for why women as a whole tend to make less, however).

As THE Bigzoman mentioned, there are also models that account for it in different ways. I couldn't tell you nearly as much about that, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

7+ Year Old Account
    They send the same resume with a different name part. That error would have to repeat in various experiments throughout the years , dunno its too specific and hypothetical for my taste.
    are they only controlling that one resume in the study or is it a batch given to an employer because if they only control that one that of course there would be differences not even counting the differences in employers witch would massive change the results of any such study.